R Stevenson
Years ago

Thoughts on fan resistance to Melbourne United?

With the surprise removal of Melbourne Tigers almost two months ago to make way for Melbourne United, the new club (as they term it) has found resistance from Tigers fans not going away in fact it is increasing particularly since fans are being asked to choose between a Phoenix, a Ball and a Penguin as the team mascot.

What are people's thoughts on the situation? Is Melbourne United a good idea? Is the claims of honouring past Melbourne teams heritage a fan grab?
Should Tigers fans continue to fight against United? Is United really the new face of the NBL as they claim to be?

Topic #34880 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penguins UNITE!

Reply #482668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prediction ...... Pain

Reply #482669 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Melbourne gets rid of the Tigers, now asking fans whether their mascot should be a Ball, a Phoenix or a Penguin.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=857268777636235&set=a.223711894325263.66923.213844138645372&type=1&relevant_count=1

I voted The Baller.

Reply #482672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing screams Melbourne basketball than an overweight penguin dressed in scarf and beanie!

Reply #482674 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Very hard for the mascot to be doing high flying dunks with Flippers or Wings.

Carn guys make it easier for the mascot and vote #1 Baller!

Reply #482676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I think they need more Vic NBL teams regardless of the name, there is absolutely no where for men to go

Reply #482679 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Just out of curiosity , is there something I'm missing with the Penguin or Phoenix cos I just can't see the link between them or the united brand .
Its possible that maybe management want the "Baller" mascot and come up with 2 other ridiculous options that they know the fans won't vote on. An illusion that the fans are choosing the mascot to ease the situation and getting what they want at the same time. Conspiracy theory maybe ....but it makes more sense than a penguin and Phoenix as their mascot :P

Reply #482684 | Report this post

R Stevenson  
Years ago

Apparently the Mascot is for all the kids.

Reply #482686 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The smart thing to do would be to keep the Tiger as the mascot. If they are keeping the Tigers history then surely it wouldn't hurt to keep something.

Reply #482688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MASCOT PHOENIX and change name to Melbourne Phoenix, ditch the United, rising from the ashes of the Tigers and make it a yellow and black phoenix....

Reply #482703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts!

I don't really want to think about it, just a huge cluster phluck really!

Reply #482704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make it Melbourne Ducks then !!! Oh thats ice hockey !!!!

Reply #482708 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Do you know what I prefer the Melbourne Tigers to be called? The Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #482732 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Love the penguin. Classic stuff

Reply #482735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TIGER SHARKS
TIGER BEETLES
TIGER MOTH
TIGER HORNETS
TIGER LILLIES
TIGER SCORPIONS
TIGER PENGUINS?

TIGERS UNITED!

Reply #482757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot Tiger Prawns, LOL.

Reply #482763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Magic Man!!!

Reply #482764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts, call them Tiger Lillies and employ soon to be ex-AFL comentator Brian Taylor as their PR man.

Reply #482769 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am beginning to think that the move to United was a little less planned than what it should have been

Reply #482772 | Report this post

Get a Grip  
Years ago

The designer should be shot its sooo cartoonish its shite, get a real designer - Melbourne phoenix seems to be the best option out of the 3, Melbourne Balls Up could be another?

They should have a look at all the other codes in Melbourne and find something suitable - footy - Demons Rugby Storm, Cricket - Stars & renegades - Netty - Vixens -
Melbourne Devils? still got a tail? Steal the Man U mascot

Reply #482792 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Does the Phoenix not remind anybody else of the former Melbourne Phoenix netball team? A soccer name with a netball mascot?

Reply #482796 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

Think the mascot should be an empty seat

Reply #482865 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would be unfortunate if people all got together and voted for the ridiculous penguin as a protest vote. I am definitely not suggesting that people do that.

It's just sad. They had a really strong brand, well known outside of basketball. They had memorable colours. They had a huge amount of history and success. And they had a mascot that perfectly matched their identity. And now their best chance is either a Fru Choc or bird that will remind everyone of a netball team. Maybe they could try making the penguin really street and cool like Homer's cartoon dog, whatever that thing was called.

Reply #482879 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, in a city of 4 million+ how long can you persist with a ceiling of 7000 fans(max)?? Correct the Tigers were an excellent brand with greater history, but the people of Melbourne just did not care. A wise move from some very savvy businessmen to get the greater basketball community involved. But I must admit they have approached it in a wrong way.

I hope it works out for the greater good of the NBL and the Melbourne basketball community and some passionate owners, losing loads of cash.

Reply #482891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It isn't the fact that they got 7,000 fans that is the issue, it is the fact that what is really needed is a rivalry team in Melbourne to kick start some tribalism and passion in the sport down south.

So, people are pissed off at this new branding because it is going against what is actually best for the sport, also they have done it very poorly indeed!

Reply #482904 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

A.

The Tigers were claiming heavily increased membership numbers over the last two years. They were lauding improved crowds, even had Paul spruiking their success here. I am not sure you can claim this move was "wise".

Please don't go the "very savy businesspeople" line here. The NBL is littered, literally, with failed teams commandeered by "savy business people" - in fact, its been almost exclusively the NBL model for decades, rich guys, successful in one business or another, fail with an NBL team.

The guy who made it work, and got the model right, was Wrublewski. He showed his savy, because as soon as his incredibly successful business model for the Kings became unworkable, he got out.

Reply #482908 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Savvy business people, really? Well, if sport was exclusively for profit and didn't rely so much on emotion and patriotism I guess savvy business people would be all over the sporting landscape...

Yes, they need to consider how they will make money and not go under, but nothing is more certain in my opinion where the demise of a sporting organisation is concerned than the following:

Losing passion
Losing games
Losing community perception
Losing culture

If the business model was really savvy it might understand the need to build on what the previous franchise had astablished over decades, not destroy it?

It might include and embrace the Melbourne market by welcoming a rival team to create a state wide sense of sporting passion and launch a revitalised spirit among basketball fans in the state, rather than become insular and devide the fan base with what appears to be a sledge hammer approach.

The real money is in the NBL, not among individual clubs fending for themselves, the big picture is what their business model seems to ignore IMHO...

Reply #482916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754