Anonymous
Years ago

SA Metro U16 girls win Nationals

Congratulations to SA Metro U16 girls on their great win at the Nationals held last week in Geelong.
After finishing their group in second place (losing only to Qld South by one the team beat ACT in the quarter finals, and then knocked off Vic Metro in the semi final by three in OT.
The GF saw them play Qld Sth again, and after trailing by 7 at the first break, fought back to trail by 1 at the half.
The momentum continued in the third quarter, and SA led by 13 at the last change.
Qld charged home, but SA held on to win by 6.
Congratulations to all the players and staff.

Topic #34881 | Report this topic

Annon  
Years ago

Great effort by all

Well Done

Reply #482771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Ingham is kicking goals.

Reply #482783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to zone or not to zone

Reply #482785 | Report this post

Champs  
Years ago

Girls played fantastic all week, very well coached, played man all week except against a Vic Metro side who struggled from the perimeter....

Great achievement well done SA Metro giirls..

Reply #482786 | Report this post

BS  
Years ago

these results have nothing to do with Dave Ingham. He has been there 5 minutes.

Reply #482787 | Report this post

No Go Zone  
Years ago

Seriously why do people crap on about zone - ZONE IS PART OF BASKETBALL DEAL WITH IT. Players and coaches should be capable of playing zone and still scoring.

Congrats to the Girls

Reply #482790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has a lot to do with Dave Ingham. If I'm not mistaken he removed the initial coach for being a tool and put the current coach in who just won a National Championship. Worked out quite well I'd say.

Reply #482793 | Report this post

Champs  
Years ago

Agree, it appears David made tough decisions that needed to be made....

A week full of positive reinforcement from all the coaching staff, very refreshing...

and very important to team performance....

Reply #482794 | Report this post

Antsy  
Years ago

Ingham may have only been in the role "for 5 minutes" but already has a better result than his predecessor produced in a looooong time.

Reply #482795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic allow zone even at U14 level (in the Classics).
I think this is the first year at the Classics where U12 were not permitted to play zone.

Reply #482807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Vic should update their rules to follow the rest of Australia - then perhaps their results would be better...

Reply #482811 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS U 16s-CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COACHES AND GIRLS FOR THEIR FANTASTIC WIN.

AS A PARENT AT ONE OF THE LARGER CLUBS THE FEEDBACK FROM THE PARENTS WHO WENT ALONG TO SUPPORT THEIR KIDS CLEARLY STATED HOW POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE THE COACHES AND BSA STAFF WERE DURING THE EVENT.

PERHAPS INGHAM AND VALK HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE 5 MINUTES BUT CLEARLY THEY ARE SHAKING THINGS UP AND GIVING OPPORTUNITIES TO NEW COACHES AND SO FAR THEY ARE NOT LETTING THEM DOWN.

Reply #482948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Ingham and Viki Valk also completely reshaped the curriculum for NITP. All those SA Metro girls are trained by Ingham and Valk for 2 hours a week at NITP (along with some other coaches). How can anyone in their right mind say he has had nothing to do with it?

Reply #482950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have some perspective. Each and every player has a series of coaches, team and support people who have been there with them along the way since a very you g age.The credit of success can not be attributed to just one coach. Be humble BSA and those overt supporters and acknowledge everyone involved over each girls journey in bringing success. Some of the players in the team have been coached for years by the preceeeing state coaches so they have had an impact whether you like it or not. Teams are not built in a year and certanly not players. It is years of work and growth. State coaches are handed players already skilled, primed and ready to learn more and become part of a team from many backgrounds. Yes they have achieved success but that is not to say the previous could not have done the same.

Reply #482955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

948 - CLEARLY YOU ARE ONE OF THE FORESTVILLE FAMILIES. Do not speak o behalf of others.

Reply #482957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they have only had 10 trainings total.

Reply #482963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone here is arguing Ingham is solely responsible for the sucess. I'm just saying it's stupid to insinuate he's had nothing to do with it because he's only been here "5 minutes".

Reply #482969 | Report this post

Champs  
Years ago

#957...Too much positivity for Sturt people perhaps in #948's comments....

Reply #482971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically, if he is responsible for the gold for one team, is he also responsible for all other teams failing to medal at all???

Reply #482972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duelling banjos a plenty here!

Reply #482974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 2 girls teams in top 4 for 18's (can't remember boys) a gold medal in 16 girls and 2 teams top 6 in 16 boys. I think that's pretty succesfull. All those are products if NITP

Reply #482975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too early to judge. Ingham had little to do with this years state team performances. Not saying he is doing a bad job but to insinuate that there has been a step change in performance since he came in, delivering this year's outcomes is just naive.

Ingham will be primarily judged by the powers that be on the number of national and international athletes that come out of Australia. For this to happen his work starts now with 12/13 yr olds through TI and ensuring those kids are getting the right development at club level. In 5 or 6 yrs time we should begin to see the outcomes of his work or not.

Way too early to tell at this stage.

Reply #482983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

975 - just stop will you. It is not about 1 person is what everyone else is saying. do not use a teams success as fuel for your personal atracks.. that is disgusting.. what everyone should be doing is ringing up BSA and asking when are they going to start celebrating the states success and using it as a vehicle to promote this fabulous sport. and once again the successess today are as a result of hard work of many over
many years so acknowledge it. you know it is okay to say this has been a team effort. nobody can do anthing alone. so the problem here is the person glorifying the results as the work of one or two. it is offensive to everyone elss efforts

Reply #482987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

987- I (975) wasn't attacking anyone. I also posted 969. I was just responding to the above comedy that was saying Ingham was responsible for other teams not medaling if he is responsible for the meddling teams. I completely see that point if view, I was just pointing out that all round it has been a pretty succesful year for nationals for sa teams. NOT that Ingham is responsible for it all. Maybe you misread the meaning of my comment? Don't see how that could possibly be taken as an attack on anyone? Obviously Ingham isn't responsible for it all. Anyone who thinks that is crazy. But as the state high performance manager he does have to take SOME credit for how the state high performance program is running doesn't he?

Reply #483007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*coment

Reply #483008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winners are grinners but that said the talent pool in this age group across the states is low so I wouldn't put my house on this being an S A resurgence or apportion too much kudos to coaches as there are a number of factors involved.

Reply #483036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about everyone BE HAPPY FOR THE GIRLS!!!!!

Reply #483045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the SA girls, they played hard and certainly played for each other when it counted. Lynne has been part of the NITP for the past 12 or so years, so has certainly earned her stripes. Regarding results, I wouldn't get to ahead of ourselves. If the finals fixture was as it has been for the past 25 years (top 4) or top 2 from each pool then there would have been no medal at 18's and the boysrresults from 16's would have been different again. All in all there are a lot of factors at work here and you are kidding yourselves if you think the turnaround has happened overnight. In saying that well done to the girls, what a great memory to always have.

Reply #483048 | Report this post

the tonight show  
Years ago

last 2 posts make the most sense

Reply #483050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - both boys teams finished in the 3-4 bracket in their pools (so 5-8 overall) - so both boys teams would have ended up with the same "semi" x-over, and same result. Just took an extra game to get there.

Reply #483140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the competition structure changes from what it has been forever, it is unfair to rate this against previous results at Nationals. I would say there would be many teams from every state that could have medaled in the past 20 years had this finals system been put in place. I personally like the new format as it seems to give you a second chance, in the past if you lost two pool games your week was toast!

Reply #483171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

483086, agree the standard was well below normal for this group as a whole both boys and girls, even NT who really struggle because of lack of recourses with players actually did ok. Think it was just one of those years where the talent across the board has not been brilliant. But all credit to those teams that won, a great experience for them.

Reply #483175 | Report this post

College Coach  
Years ago

I would disagree regarding this years standard. I was there all week and saw some amazing talent on display...

Some great future prospects...

Reply #483178 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Talent was definitely not anywhere near previous years, but you can only play against what is on offer. I don't think there were any standout athletes in the Froling twins, Exum, Simmons or Djeric mould, but the competition was entertaining none the less. Agreed that the new finals fixtures make a world of difference to the week.

Reply #483227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clueless commentary about talent.

Reply #483259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am talking about the girls now, but I find it funny when Victoria don't come out on top, that there must be a lack of talent around, or the standard has dropped. Maybe its just coming from elsewhere nowadays, and some are finding it hard to handle

Reply #483263 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

Every kid who represented his or her state has talent. Never ever say otherwise. Time some people here showed at least an ounce of respect. Can only think that the negatives on here have never had the opportunity to make this level and are pathetically jealous of those who have. I know many kids and their families who have done the journey and witnessed the sacrifice they have made to get there. Well done to all - not just the winners.

Reply #483279 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

well said Clydetheglide..

Reply #483282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The format now including quarter finals is what it is and most people actually like the idea I think.

Previously you would have a team missing out on just a small percentage and having no chance of finals because they may have dropped one tight game or they were in a stronger pool for example.

On the other hand teams that traditionally end up one or two are now having to play an extra knock out game against an opponent that may actually be very dangerous because they have been in the tougher pool.

In the end it is finals and winners will progress, I like the new quarter finals format, it should stay IMO.

Reply #483338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the addition of the quarter finals element. It allows more teams to experience the 'pressure and environment' of finals basketball and I think it will increase players competitiveness and in the long run will benefit basketball in Australia by exposing 8 teams to finals basketball as opposed to the top 4 of the past.

Reply #483428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754