Ballislife
Years ago

Exum first summer league basket

Alley oop reverse slam from Trey Burke. Don't have a link but I'm sure someone can find one!

Topic #34882 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

It was nice, good to see Motum made their summer league team as well. Hopefully Dante can shake some of the nerves and build this week.

Reply #482666 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

ah it looks like he is not on the sheet after all.

Reply #482667 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/video/games/sixers/2014/07/12/1521400014-uta-phi-play1.nba/index.html#

Reply #482670 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Motum had a horrible start . 4 Fouls and 2 Turnovers in 4 mins .

Reply #482682 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Exum looks great and Motum is finishing off the 4th very well.

Reply #482685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum with a very efficient and exciting game. Where did all people go who wrote him off in the other thread?

Reply #482689 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Man he is gonna be scary if he ever figures out how to go left...

Reply #482690 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

This is a list of those who posted Exum shouldn't be playing for the Boomers this year.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anon.......Oh forget it!

Reply #482691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Exum with a very efficient and exciting game. Where did all people go who wrote him off in the other thread?"

3/10 isn't efficient

Reply #482693 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

We are talking about an 18 year old here.. in many cases competing with people 5-10 years older then him. His shooting isn't great but I saw some good highlights .. I think he might have a rough first year but he definitely has great upside.

Reply #482695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4/10 was the actual number, which in the summer league - where shooting % is relatively low - is decent. Additionally, 3/6 inside the 3 point line is pretty good stat. Exum only turned the ball over once, astounding for a guard in the summer league, and as soon he turned it over he stole it right back and dunked it. His 3 assists were also promising, especially considering he played next to Burke for considerable stretches.

Reply #482696 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think some people are setting unrealistic expectations on Exum. He likely won't be rookie of the year or avg 20ppg straight away. He will be a work in progress and is only 19 years old he just needs time to develop.

Reply #482698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"4/10 was the actual number, which in the summer league - where shooting % is relatively low - is decent."

Yeah, my bad. I still wouldn't call 4/10 efficient though. I'm not knocking the guy though, he showed some great signs for a kid who didn't play college ball.

Reply #482699 | Report this post

Shooting Blanks  
Years ago

Well I saw everything I was hoping for and more.

The court awareness, vision, IQ, poise, speed... all on prominent display.

That was a very impressive debut. Raw for sure, but the intangibles were bursting from the seams. He all but made Troy Burke look like an alarmingly undersized 2 guard.

Reply #482700 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anywhere I can see the full game?

Reply #482701 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I thought he did very well!

A couple of observations I'd make:

Things Exum excelled at: passing, court vision, poise, general court savvy.

Things he needs to work on: ball handling, shooting.

Is that an accurate reflection of the basketball development priorities in Australia?

Reply #482709 | Report this post

Shooting Blanks  
Years ago

ESPN:

Dante Exum, Utah Jazz | Grade: A-

Hype machine, activate! Comparisons to a young Kobe Bryant, Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy were flying around after Exum's first game, and his displays of smooth athleticism and skill were often breathtaking. Although there were better overall performances elsewhere, no one flashed more star potential than Exum did. With his vision and first step, he has lead guard written all over him.

Dante Exum looked like the future on Saturday night. Sure, it's only one game against a fairly weak Philadelphia Summer League roster, but from the moment he stepped on the court, Exum projected the presence of someone who should have been picked number one overall.

He slashed through the lane comfortably and at a speed rarely seen for someone at that size. There was a fluidity to his attacking that conjured memories of young Dwyane Wade and young Penny Hardaway. In a setting where many players are selfish with the ball, Exum focused on driving and dishing.

Who knows what the future holds for this kid, or whether he'll ever improve that low slung quasi set shot? What's apparent from the start is he has the tools to be great. Based on that alone, Jazz fans have to be happy right now.

Reply #482710 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

In fact, jazz fans want trey burke out now and likes Dante to start at PG

Reply #482711 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Blerg.

Reply #482719 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Jez is on the money...

Reply #482738 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

It was a nice start, i think people were a little taken aback by how much he showed as a PG, people assumed he was shoot first which was not the case. You can see he will need a lot of work on the defensive end but i was impressed with his general play.

Seems that once he gets his legs under him he will be better as well. Good solid start to build from. Come off the bench and build to a starter would be a good outcome this year i think.

Reply #482741 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Really encouraging debut from Exum. As mentioned above, he has things to work on and we can't expect him to be a star in his first season, but the talent is there for all to see.

Another good thing judging by today's game is that he has two things he can do to contribute on an NBA court right away: he can beat most guys off the dribble and he can find the open man once the defence adjusts. Those skills alone will ensure he sees decent court time. If he works hard to improve his pick and roll defence early this season, he could end up starting for the Jazz sooner rather than later.

Walt Frazier was commentating the game too and was very positive about Dante.

Looking good for the future!

Reply #482746 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, check out his appearance on 'The Starters' today as well. Classic moment where they all sing the Essendon Bombers song for him in lieu of happy birthday (which is copyrighted and would cost the show money)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1pL_F6vBs

Reply #482747 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

It's great to hear he performed well in his first SL outing.

Kobe averaged 7ppg and 15mpg his 1st NBA regular season, and he turned out okay, so with that in mind, its best that Exum is considered long term and is given the opportunity to develop.

Reply #482751 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hype machine, activate! Comparisons to a young Kobe Bryant, Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy were flying around after Exum's first game, and his displays of smooth athleticism and skill were often breathtaking. Although there were better overall performances elsewhere, no one flashed more star potential than Exum did. With his vision and first step, he has lead guard written all over him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69678/las-vegas-summer-league-day-2-grades

Reply #482765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, on the Jazz forums people were surprised at how capable he was as a point guard and are calling for him to start at PG. He also apparently made an amazing pass for a bucket on a play.

Reply #482782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is a list of those who posted Exum shouldn't be playing for the Boomers this year."

Haha yeah this mindset is so stupid. Especially with Mills out. We're not very deep with talented guards and Exum will have to play some decent minutes. I'd really like to know who they would pick over him.

Reply #482784 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"Not a point guard" got a pretty good run too, (admit I was a sceptic) but the vision & awareness he's already showed is top shelf. Hope he can maintain that aggressiveness too, also looked like he's improved his quickness (further) & more exosive than last time I saw him play.

Reply #482791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he made that reversal was it me or did he look a little early kobe like? The length and twist of the body!

Reply #482797 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

""Not a point guard" got a pretty good run too, (admit I was a sceptic) but the vision & awareness he's already showed is top shelf. Hope he can maintain that aggressiveness too, also looked like he's improved his quickness (further) & more exosive than last time I saw him play."

Thought the exact same, pass was bit off & his body controll was similar to the way Kobe can (could) adjust & convert.
He's been criticized for his finishing previously as he'll make a living gettinng to the hoop, no longer an issue based on couple of those plays.

Reply #482802 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Even with Mills in I still would have given Exum a spot otherwise we get stuck with someone like Gibson.
He should play a key role off the bench.

Reply #482816 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Interesting now to reflect on how well he's been managed, his inner circle likely knew he was legitimately "ready", however by limiting his appearances & assuming that team workouts would confirm his potential they have minimized the medias opportunity to even suggest anything different, quite clever.

Reply #482817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highlights of Dante Exum in his SL debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wklv_k7d2EQ

Reply #482822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those are some great highlights. It shows mainly

1 - The dude is faaaaast. That first step is absolutely killer.

2 - He's a great passer and has good court vision. I could definitely see him becoming a pg. That pass to Burke for the and 1 was amazing.

I also don't get him having a loose handle. It looks pretty tight in that video.

Reply #482823 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

He is sound, sensible, strong, speedy and super slick, love watching him play and so will the Jazz fans...

Reply #482824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These people would rather see gumby NBLers playing for the boomers rather than the future which is Exum.

Reply #482846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754