LC
Years ago

China's apparent decline on the world stage

I just had to post this.

Chinese basketball on the international stage continues its apparent downward spiral.

Not only is China a stunning omission from the 2014 FIBA World Cup after failing to qualify, but they have also just lost to Asian basketball giants India for the first time in history at the 5th Asia Cup!

IND/CHN - Flemming's Thunderball: India post historic win over China

Their national league appears to be thriving, and yet they are struggling on the international stage. Love to know others thoughts on China's troubles.

Topic #34892 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming

Reply #482856 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Was with a bunch of mates having lunch today. One of them is off to India for 6 weeks. I mentioned how India might become a basketball powerhouse in this quadrant of the world. Everyone laughed at me, they thought I was joking.........and they were right, but.............????

From little things big things grow and India offers huge opportunities.

Reply #482859 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

They beat Iran the other day with ex NBA player Hamed Haddadi playing. Won a sneaky $50 off it at $2.35... However they seem to be declining, They need to make some new test tube babies that are 7ft+ ;)

Reply #482861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have decent players and stating the obvious, have a lot of people to draw players from. They have a lot of height, speed and a few good shooters.

Their main problem I see, is how they run their structures and handle refs. When they play in China, they win every game as the refs call the craziest fouls. They get use to this type of play and when the travel they just don't know how to defend as they are constantly pushing and then on offence they can't finish through proper body contact/positioning.

For them to become a serious contender they need their games officiated correctly and better coaching on the defensive end.

Reply #482864 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I watched an Aussie U17 team play Chinas U17 team a few years ago at Sydney Uni, they had 2 guys who were 7 ft 3 and two other 7 footers, Aussies biggest player was 6 ft 8 and the Chinese were completely outplayed physically. Their guards were also absolute rubbish.

Reply #482869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Supposedly this was India's biggest ever win in international basketball.

Reply #482877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is China's B team and Iran are missing four starters, while India seem to have a lot of guys who played at last year's continental championship.

Still, they have definitely improved in recent years and it's great to see them having some wins, even though the task of grabbing attention in a cricket-mad country is a very tough one.

Reply #482901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, China just have to stop cheating and they will improve out of sight? Sounds easy to me!

Reply #482907 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Seems like the usual non western world politics
pick players that are known
not players that can play or compete physically and mentally , one thing to be tall & fast & cant shoot but if the attitude is not there? no point pulling on a jersey . are there american coaches in the system?

Tab Baldwin has helped some european teams and Gilas recently qualify for the world cup . Sign him up

Reply #482988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754