Hank shockly
Years ago

Poorly written article on bogut from The Advertise

Here's the link
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15782156%255E23673,00.html

If you want to tell him how ignorant he is you can email him here: [email protected]

And if you don't want to click the link for some reason here it is copyed
------------

Nobody is worth $15m to play sport

01jul05

THERE is something obscene about a 20-year-old man being paid $15 million a year to play basketball. Nobody, not even a children's heart surgeon, a corporate captain or a moon-walking astronaut, can be worth that much. But apparently Andrew Bogut is.

In case you haven't caught up, Bogut, from Melbourne, was the first pick in the American National Basketball Association draft. In the next five years, he will earn $70 million in salary and sponsorships.

He will probably earn at least $140 million during his career.

That is serious money. To put it in some sort of perspective, the best of the best in the Australian Football League, people like James Hird and Michael Voss, earn about $700,000 a year. An 18-year-old rookie fresh from school can pick up $150,000 a year.

Bogut is going to earn $15 million  20 times as much as Hird and Voss, 100 times more than an AFL rookie.

Obviously Bogut is a good basketballer. Nobody is going to risk that much money for an untried novice. But part of his skill depends on luck  the luck of growing to 213cm tall and 110kg at the age of 20.

Hird and Voss, to mention two, probably have better ball skills than Bogut, but he just happens to be as tall as a door frame and nearly as wide.

A bit of me says good luck to the boy. He's worked hard, practised hard and toughened his body and his mind to compete in the best basketball competition in the world.

But in a world where there is so much deprivation, so much hunger and human suffering, can it be right to pay one person $15 million a year because he can catch and throw a round ball of compressed air?

If nurses who work long nights and weekends battling to save sick children are paid $50,000 a year, why is a giant of a lad who plays basketball worth $15 million?

Good people like businessman David Holst, who fight to raise funds for severely disadvantaged children, would be reduced to tears of gratitude if they were given $15 million.

Young Bogut will pocket that by the time he is 21. Of course, the world is full of inequities. For many, life is not fair. For some, it is downright cruel and unjust. For most, it is a struggle centred on limited financial resources. Ironically, we all think money is the hidden gate to happiness. We look at Bogut and imagine how we would live if we earned $15 million a year. Big houses, flashy cars, luxury holidays. A life free of worry.

Cricket has made Shane Warne a millionaire. Is he happy? As his marriage crumbles, Warne appears to be a pathetic and unhappy man who cannot come to terms with wealth and fame.

Russell Crowe has made obscene wealth from his acting but anyone who hurls a telephone at a hotel bellboy because it's not working can hardly be happy. He may yet go to prison.

Tennis player Lleyton Hewitt earns $13.7 million.

Whether he beats Roger Federer in the semi-finals at Wimbledon or not, he appears happy. But that's because he has the lovely Bec Cartwright on his arm, not a full wallet in his pocket. There's no price on love.

There is no guarantee Bogut is going to be happy simply because he will earn $15 million a year. Within weeks, he will be the most identifiable person in his adopted home city of Milwaukee. Within a year, he will not be able to walk down the street, sit in a restaurant or shop at a supermarket without being pestered for his autograph. Any moral or social indiscretions will be front-page news.

Bogut may be going to earn $15 million a year but he has sold his right to privacy. He will be a public commodity. Nobody is worth $15 million a year but Bogut is certainly going to earn it.

[email protected]

Topic #3490 | Report this topic

FLY  
Years ago

I don't think it's that bad. It's pretty much based on fact. ANd it's true... Why should a 20 year-old pocket that much money when there's people in the world that don't have any?

I'm not sure, however, how he can compare the salary of a NBA basketballer to an AFL footy player.

Look at how much golf players can win...

Reply #40283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the sport is making that much money then the stars should get a large piece of it.

Reply #40288 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

for the most part, i would agree with his article...

except for

"Hird and Voss, to mention two, probably have better ball skills than Bogut"

The two cannot possibly be compared, foot skills and ball handling skills are apples and oranges.

If he was talking about footy (handballing, marking, ground pick-ups etc) then i would still put my money on Bogut. Have a look at Australia's form at the international series.

It was a only a small snide comment, but basketball isn't one of Australia's big three, hence its open season for the media. Hopefully Bogut can turn things around!

Reply #40290 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

the sport makes money and loads of it with all the attention it receives worldwide. if the players don't receive those millions, who will? the owners? what?

Reply #40295 | Report this post

Enforcer  
Years ago

Chris Anstey said on any given Sunday today he could take Bogut 1 on 1, but agreed Bogut probably has more potential.
Potential to earn if nothing else

Reply #40307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anstey is slow, Bogut would just step out and knock triples on him all day. Bogut could muscle up against Anstey. I'm sure when he said that it was 'From Russia, with Love.'

Reply #40308 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Wouldnt be a bad match up to see :-) Don't worry about the commenwealth games or the upcoming 4 nations competition give me some one on one Bogut vs Anstey.

Hell I'd like to see a summer camp of NBA - no make that any - centres going one on one, let the big guys show their skills.

Move over MixTape tour let the big boys play!

As for the article - in all fairness he has hit it on the head - oh and as they say any publicity is good publicity.

Reply #40314 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Except he's not getting $15M a year, that's his entire Rookie Contract, I assume that's the inaccuracy this post is about.

Reply #40375 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

plus bogut is setting up a fund for underprivileged kids - conveniently left that out didn't old rex jory.

Reply #40380 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

They just don't want to publicise that an Australian is making money playing Basketball, they just want to show as much negativity as possible so that people don't take to much interest in the sport and take away from the AFL etc. I play Aussie rules for fun but I don't want to see it on the TV all weekend - I would much rather sit down and watch some ball being televised. Bring Back Free-to-Air ball!!

Reply #40381 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

we the mìLLions òF DOllARS that nba teams will get from tv, fans etc etc should go to the players (not all) but a g¡d percentage. same with afl, if australia had as many population as usa, hird,voss would be on HUGE $$$

Reply #40390 | Report this post

Jumper78  
Years ago

DONT HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME.

Good luck to the boy. The owners of NBA teams make mad cash. They can afford it.
If your gonna hate on him, hate on the AFL players earning more than Doctors, nurses & even good old Johhny Howard

Reply #40420 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I thought it was a pretty generic sort of article written to appeal to the masses, he didn't show any insight and just rehashed the same crap that gets brought up whenever an athlete (or any celebrity) makes crazy money.

The amount those guys get paid is determined by the popularity of the sport and the target audience. NBA is huge business, it's the premier league of a global sport based in a country of 200 million people - of course the athletes will be paid more than AFL players, anyone trying to make a case against that is either ignorant or stupid.

I agree that the money could be better spent in the hands of hospitals or starving Africans, but unfortunatly that's not the way the world works, and if Rex feels so strongly about anti-capitalism then perhaps he should be in Edinburgh protesting at the G8 rather than writing factually incorrect articles bringing down an Aussie who's succeeding in a non-tradition Australian sport.

As someone mentioned earlier the $15m is the amount for the entire contract (4 or 5 years I think) and not for just 1 year. When the premise of your whole article is out by such a ridiculous amount you need to be asking questions about the validity of the rest of it.

Reply #40454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was going to email Rex the following, but changed my mind (he writes to sell papers and doesn't care about the facts):

---

I'm sure you've already heard this from others, but you left some really basic errors in your article about Andrew Bogut's draft success.

Firstly, his $15m opening salary is a multi-year contract. It's been said that the first year of the deal on its own is around US$4.2m, so around AUD$5.5m. Then consider that the NBA season is 82 games long, compared to the AFL's 22 games. In the finals, I believe that an AFL team could play a maximum of 4 or 5 games. In the NBA finals, a team can play up to 28 games (one team played 13 games in the first two rounds alone -- more than half of the AFL's regular season!). You could safely assume that Bogut would play around 4 times as many games as Hird in a season.

Once you consider that, the difference between Bogut's salary and that of Hird based on a per-game value isn't so much (and certainly not the factor of 20 that you suggest). And it's more even than it should be when you consider that the AFL's audience barely stretches beyond Australian shores, while that of the NBA reaches to something like 100 million people for a game televised in over 200 countries.

Also, perhaps you weren't aware that even before being picked in the draft, Andrew Bogut announced that he would create the Andrew Bogut 4 Foundation supporting underprivileged youths in Australia, Croatia, Utah and Milwaukee.

Bogut's signing is a great opportunity to boost participation in yet another sport that would get Australian children out of the house and being active.

Bogut is worth $15m quite simply because he has the potential to earn his club far more.

Reply #40455 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Geez, I hope that no one tells this guy that last year Spree was paid $14 million for the season so he could feed his family.........

Reply #40477 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

good stuff with the 'facts' Isaac, something that too many seem to conveniently leave out.

Reply #40485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754