interested
Years ago

new flames coach announced

shannon seebolm ex kings assistant coach taking over as head coach at the flames.

Topic #34910 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmm cant see how this will make them a good team. i feel sorry for mitchell who has gone there, to now be playing under a rookie coach. dont think they'll be a finals group this year.
may as well have left dalton in charge - as she will be calling the shots from behind the scenes.

Reply #483162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with above poster, poor Mitchell , not much depth in that roster, and why pick a coach AFTER you pick a team, surely the coach needs to be able to select players that fit with their style of coaching. Think Karen dalton is still coaching but via a poor puppet coach in this rookie she has found.

Reply #483167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geezus, recipe for disaster.

Reply #483290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are his credentials? Article seemed a bit light on:
What teams has he coached in his own right previously?
Any experience with female basketball previously?

Reply #483347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Puppet or muppet.

Nice guy but way out of his depth.

Reply #483351 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Currently coaching Hornsby ABA Women.

Reply #483362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has done for several years & not overly well.

Reply #483363 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

hornsby ABA women finished 3rd and on a 4 game winning streak.

Dont know what there roster was like so cannot comment if they performed to expectations or not.

Reply #483364 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Katie Ebzery, Jamie Kennedy and a number of talented juniors and younger people, make up the Hornsby roster. Katie hasn't played till recently, so they are doing pretty well.

Don't know about Shannon, but wish him well, new ideas and faces are what the Flames need. With Mitchell instead of Poto, already a good start.

Reply #483367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasnt he assistant for an nbl team? Sydney kings

Reply #483500 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

last poster, read the 1st post!!

Reply #483548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, was assistant at the Kings. Champion bloke who knows the game. I assume most here know his medical history cut short his playing career, and he is now focused on coaching. I personally think he has a bright future as a coach. He deserves it.

Reply #483570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - the problem is he doesn't seem qualified. Most sympathise with his medical history - he apparently is a really good bloke - but that is completely irrelevant.
Very little coaching experience (comparitively to a lot of other people). A potential to have conflict-of-interest (not that that hasn't happened before, even with national level coaches). Just seems a very weird choice.

Reply #483577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - i understand your points, however i think Shannon is a good choice, and this is why:

He has been appointed for 2 years. These 2 years are a transition period for the flames. Karen can settle into her role as GM, while Shannon establishes himself in the coach role.
If the flames had opted for a big name coach who came in wanting to stamp their authority in the place, the franchise could have self-destructed.

Shannon already has a good working relationship with KD. This can only be good for a transition.

Shannon is a good player manager. Creating a harmonious team is probably what the flames need most at present.

Shannon is young, but has been an assistant at national level, so not such a big step up. He does know the game.

I was hoping for either Darren or Shannon. They both deserved a go, while they will also pay Karen the respect she deserves. IMO smart choice by the flames going for a medium term transition plan and building for the future rather than a desparate short term reward.

Reply #483720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think many people applied for the job in the first place.

Reply #483746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karen dalton need to decide what she is the club manager or team coach. And stick with it. Having a very young and let's face it inexperienced at this level head coach fits perfectly for dalton. She will still call the shots, and sorry but how successful have those shots been for Sydney flames with her at the helm lately!.
If lames are looking for a whole new restructure in with the new out with the old, dalton needs to stay away and let this guy do his thing, you never know it may be just what they need because they sure as hell needed to loose Poto and dalton

Reply #483767 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

everything i have heard about shannon has been positive.
i hope he can get the flames firing.

Reply #483988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree completely. He maybe young but a good technical knowledge of the game, some valuable experience at the Kings, and a good player manager... Sounds like a good fit for the flames to me.

Reply #483998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754