LA man
Years ago

Lakers roster 2014/15

Just wanted to get other Lakers / NBA fans opinions on what you think of the lakers potential roster for the upcoming season.
As a Lakers fan I am worried we could be in for a really long season. If we signed Boozer we may be competitive but that doesn't look likely.

My thoughts on the roster are:
1-Nash
2-Kobe
3-Lance Stephenson (pipe dream I know but would be good under Kobe!!!!)
4-Boozer
5-Hill

6-Lin (Could obviously start depending on Nash's health. Be better being impact scorer off bench.
7-Jordan Clarkson
8-Nick Young (He and Lin could provide a great 1-2 scoring punch off the bench)
9-Randle
10-Sacre

Looking at who's now available free agent wise I think that roster could be the best Lakers could hope for at this stage.
If you take out Stephenson and Boozer we are looking in a world of hurt.

Just wanted to get other peoples serious opinion on the laker's roster next season.

No smart arse responses needed just good NBA talk.

Topic #34918 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

What happened to that Kendall Marshall guy? Didn't he put up some reasonable stats last season? He was playing for their SL team, last I checked.

Reply #483225 | Report this post

Gin 'N Juice  
Years ago

Why the hell would you start Boozer before Randle? Randle has so much potential and has shown he is NBA ready. Definitely start him before Boozer.

Reply #483231 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with having Randle as a close third in the bigman rotation. Ease him into being a professional and make him want to earn it.

Isaac, Marshall is a decent backup PG for a few teams. I'd say the Lakers have made their intentions clear with having Lin and Nash there. Sixers, Boston maybe?

Reply #483232 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

You are just not winning many games at all with Nash as a starting PG. Should try and sign Stephenson but avoid boozer, as I would want to develop Randle as much as possible. With or without Boozer their not making the playoffs so may aswell save some cap room. Just my opinion

Reply #483234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to go after a young big.
Should be making an offer to Greg Monroe pairing him with Randle, would be a nice combo.

Reply #483235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible team.

Reply #483241 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Will be a very lean year in LA I would expect this year. Currently the roster looks something like this:

Lin/Nash/Clarkson/Marshall
Kobe
Swaggy P
Randle/Kelly
Hill/Sacre

Clarkson can play the 2 to give Kobe a break, and I suspect they'll re-sign Xavier Henry to back up Nick Young. Boozer would certainly help the front court, but they'll be going incredibly small. Definitely a state of rebuilding for the Lakers. If they nabbed Boozer I still think they'll be better than last season. Upgraded at point guard, a healthy Kobe, adding Randle, whilst losing Meeks and Gasol, to me at least on paper that's an overall upgrade. Not by much though.

Reply #483246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Def start ling over Nash. Plus if you put Stephenson in the team it's highly unlikely Nash would even be in the team?????

Id like to see the lakers look like;

G - Lin
G - Kobe
F - Davis
F - Randle
C - Hill

Bench
Clarkson
Young
Turner
Johnson
Boozer
Sacre
Kelly
Rush

I know may be hard to add those pieces but some are coming off injury, lost value, not rated highly, boozer will get paid regardless and/or no teams interested.

Lakers won't have much success this season but hopefully next year and beyond should pick up.

Reply #483249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and fridette to the bench too

Reply #483250 | Report this post

LA man  
Years ago

Nash's contract is killing them at the moment!
If we didn't have his contract we could use that coin and add in some extra to sign Stephenson.
Maybe Nash can prove the basketball world wrong and give us 10 and 5 (assists) per game.

I don't think Boozer will come unless we gave him a starting gig. He could go to so many other contenting teams and come off the bench so I don't think he will want to do that with the lakers.

Besides if we could be in the situation to bring Lin, Young and Randle off the bench that will change my hopes for the season.

Reply #483253 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Boozer doesn't have a choice where he goes. Teams will put in waiver claims, he simply has to go to the highest bidder, which most likely won't be any higher than 3 million.

Nash should've retired last year. Not expecting anything out of him. Waiving him using the stretch will only impact the cap hits in future years, which is pointless considering that they're not going to win a title this season; better just to let him finish his contract and go off the books with a fresh start next season.

The plan for the Lakers is to keep cap flexibility whilst building through the draft over the next few years, in addition to their aim of landing a max player (someone like Kevin Love or Durant). This won't be an easy rebuild for them, though obtaining the Rockets' 1st round pick will help. With some luck, they'll be a contender from next season. If not, the season after.

Reply #483275 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

The Lakers will likely be worse this coming season than the last. Which is frightening. And...they don't have a draft pick. Jim Buss strikes again.

Reply #483276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it but they could drum up about $9m if they use stretch provision on Nash so it's a hard call. What if they pick up Stephenson for two years at $9m per?

They stil may trade Nash with the pick they received from the rockets

Reply #483277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won't be worse if Kobe is able to play

Don't they have the rockets pick?

Plus they'll have a heap of cap room in two years

Reply #483278 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Anon -

Kobe Bryant + 36 years old + 2 major injuries + less talented roster than 2013-14 = less than 30 wins. In my opinion.

Yes, they have the Rockets pick. But who cares? The Rockets are expected to be one of the top teams despite their less than awesome off-season. The Rockets pick will be low. It'll be considerably lower than their own pick. Which they don't have.

Yes, cap space in 2 years in time. That's obviously the plan. Shame they won't be able to add any players through the draft in the mean time. They do have their 2016 pick though and that'll probably be a good pick because they'll suck bad in 2016 too.

Future cap space is good and all, but I'm not at all convinced that Jim Buss will spend that cap space well in two years.

The won't use the stretch provision on Nash. What player still out there is worth sacrificing future salary cap flexibility for? Any player that may have been worth it is off the market now. The Nash Nightmare needs to end quickly, not slowly.

Reply #483291 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

They won't be worse if he plays but they won't be any better. He is never going to be an elite player again. Even if he averages 18 ppg he will be playing little to no defence. Torn achilles injuries are career enders and it's only a matter of time before he retires.

Reply #483294 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Can't see the Lakers making the playoffs next season with that roster. Spurs, Rockets, Warriors, Blazers, Mavs, Clippers, Grizz, Thunder, Suns all better on paper at least. Denver & New Orleans should also both be better next season. The West is too tough for the Lakers right now unless they can make a major move

Reply #483297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is suggesting a playoff spot at all just maybe an improvement.

They had no point guard last year so improved there
They had an injured shooting guard so should be better there
Small forward will be same if don't pick up Stephenson
Power forward will be better
Centre will be better in areas and not as good in others

Bench well that's to be determined!

Starting line up (at times) of
Marshall
Meeks
Henry
Johnson
Gasol

Is not as good as
Lin
Kobe
Young
Randle
Hill

No way!

Reply #483303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stephenson now off the market. They could take on a problem player and hope to transform them but that'd be pretty optimistic.

Reply #483307 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

Why don't laker's bite the bullet and go after Bledsoe and Munroe and then Young from the Pacers!!

Again bit of a dream but as a Lakers fan this is the only thing that's getting me through this free agency period.
Pay whatever the luxury tax is to do it!

1- Bledsoe (Get rid of Nash anyway possible either trade or stretch provision)
2- Kobe
3- Young (76ers / Pacers version)
4- Randle
5- Munroe

6-Lin
7-Jackson
8-Young
9-Harris
10-Hill

If anyone that has a good idea of how the nba salary cap works and luxury tax could you please tell me if this roster has any hope of getting put together!

Reply #483309 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Firstly I'm not in any way a Lakers fan but there is no way anyone should waste money on Boozer.

I like Nash but if he can't stay fit then what is he worth ?

Absolutely hate the rest of this team except for Nick Young, I'd empty my wallet to see that boy play... Hope he finds a bigger role elsewhere but he might be happy in LA

Reply #483317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what young from pacers you mean?

They could prob work offering $9m per for Monroe but think lakers are thing FA over the next two off seasons where there's plenty of cap room.

Think suns would match for Bledsoe so little chance there.

Lakers are better off trying out some players in shorter cheaper contracts and maybe resign if a couple marquee players sign. I'd like to see them give davis,

Reply #483328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry davis, rush, fredette and turner a go.

Reply #483330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well take rush of that list just agreed to two year deal with warriors! Also wes johnson won't be coming back to lakers.

Blair is headed to washington
Ridnour to orlando
J jones to cavs (what a surprise)
Tolliver to pheonix
Bayless to milwaukee
Jason smith to New York
Greg smith to dallas
Pacers want to add Stuckey

Reply #483342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Turner and Monroe need to be the focus. I would offer Monroe big money as he would fit nicely into plans to get Durant, but since they want cap space for Love/Durant they shouldn't offer Turner that much.

This side looks solid, but not playoff material

PG - Nash / Lin / Marshall
SG - Bryant / Henry / Clarkson
SF - Nick Young / Turner
PF - Randle / Ed Davis / Kelly
C - Monroe / Hill / Sacre

Reply #483445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't people understand that the only way they could entertain the idea of getting monroe would mean Nash would be gone??????

Reply #483448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and got one of my wishes. Lakers signed davis to 2 year $2m contract. I'm interested to see how he goes. I think with a bigger role and more court time he could be a double double guy at least!

Stuckey signed with Pacers for one year.

Reply #483450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why dont they amnstey the Corpse of Steve Nash

Reply #483452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd also play clarkson at the one over marshall. His size and length with his ability to get to the rim would be better suited to having the ball. Especially when perimeter shooting is not his strength.

Plus I don't think marshall is officially a laker?

Reply #483453 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

The Lakers already amnestied Ron Artest (no I'm not calling him that). Each team got one amnesty to use after the last CBA.

Reply #483487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They either use the stretch provision or they try trading him with the draft pick they got from houston

Reply #483490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754