LC
Years ago

Preparing Aussie kids for US College

We have a great piece up on PnR provided by Aussie NCAA Division III Assistant Coach Michael Clarke.

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball

Steps need to be taken as early as Year 9 by prospective student-athletes. Basketball is serious business in the US and there are many hoops to get through apart from those on the court.

The article includes many tips, suggestions and links to important information for any prospective Aussie looking to heading to US college.

Topic #34927 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

LC, ok for what it is. I think what we need is more articles for the athletes about making the right choices, including the option of not going at all, based on their life position, maturity, chance of overall success etc. Also more information about the pitfalls and risks academically.

Reply #483374 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

HO - fair points. Will take this feedback on board for a potential follow up piece in future.

Reply #483377 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ahh Marty

not quite as authoritative as it could be.

Marty fails to mention that players have gone to the US as an international exchange student for HS in year 12 over there, after studying ( but not graduating) year 12 over here, will get you through the system, provided you dont just do basket weaving in years 11 and 12 over here. The double year at year 12 studies means you can step up a bit on the difficulty of the courses in the US, and get through the SAT scores and also get scouted fairly well in your HS games. Particuarly if you get into some of the non-school based state and national competitions

Reply #483388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to AIS. Colleges are on to it now, and it is a professional system of full time training / coaching vastly superior to ANYTHING high schools in the US are allowed to offer. AIS blows Oak Hill Academy, Findley prep, etc out of the water - not in terms of talent or quality of players, but definitely in development and coaching. AIS kids come into college immediately ready to contribute and are not tainted with the AAU garbage habits American kids have.

Reply #483389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon what are you on, of course the AIS gives those athletes lucky enough to get a spot a leg up, but they are so few in number what about the other 90%?

Reply #483390 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

^Is that you Coach Lemanis?

Reply #483391 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

^^*

Reply #483392 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The discussion one would hope is more sensible than that. Despite the obvious that the AIS is limited in numbers, the High School and College pathway does have relevance for some kids.

The discussion should be about finding the most applicable and appropriate pathway for each kid. If you just want the life experience then go to College, good luck to you. If you are going for academic or basketball outcomes, then think long and hard about all your options. However, our kids are not getting balanced advice on all this, they are being scouted, getting flattered, and on the train they get.

Then there are real differences about what is best for male and female athletes, based on that choice set.

Reply #483394 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Seems a pretty reasonable article to me ...

If you want to go to college ... here's some things to think about, get your courses right, sort out a good resume and video, timing is everything - spot on.

That's exactly what I did for my child ...

If you want to stay in Australia, great, no problem.

There is a large group of Aussie kids now in the college system, mostly having a fabulous life experience ... good on them all.

^HO, there may be a few being scouted and flattered, but I think there are just as many doing it on their own and putting in the hard yards to get there.

Reply #483679 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Does anyone have experience or knowledge on how best to set up their kid with enough medical and health insurance cover while they are over in the USA at college?

Reply #499436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div1 colleges cover medical expenses associated with college, but not when they go off campus in their free time so you need to take travel insurance out, think it's called one cover or travel one, something like that they are the best for this. Your private health cover will also cover something's but each one is different. Make sure you take out enough to cover getting them back home with medical staff if need be.
The college will give you all the details about what they cover. Not sure about other levels though but I would assume it would be fairly standard across all colleges that health cover is provided.

Reply #499444 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks to the anon poster above, much appreciated. Found this site also, has good information about eligibility.

http://www.nationalscholastic.org/ncaa_clearing_house

Reply #516361 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Interesting OLD thread.

I think part of the issue is differing attitudes to "college" between Australia and the US.
It seems to me that in the US, leaving home to go to college is considered a right of passage. In Australia, "Uni" is a means to an end. You go there to get a degree necessary for your career. If not, you might take a year off, but then enter the workforce.

I've known a couple of families from our school where kids were enticed by "scholarships" to play basketball for colleges in the USA. Despite being on "scholarships," there were still a lot of expenses for their families. (I assume they were only offered partial scholarships?)

They honestly believed this would give them a realistic chance of a professional career somewhere, but the numbers just don't support that.

One came home with a degree in Marketing, after 4 years. He had a great time, but came home penniless and found it very hard to get a job.
The other got very sick and had to come home before the end of his 3rd year. He got credit for about a years worth of study for a degree at Murdoch.

Reply #516408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pick the right university or college, complete a degree that will help you back in Aus and don't plan to have a career in hoops here because there is no money in it, is this what you are saying Dazz?

Reply #516428 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know how many millions of kids go off to college each year in the USA, or how many thousands are on sporting scholarships. So it would be naive of me to profess any real understanding.

Base on my limited observation, I would simply say this to any aspirant:
(i) Do the maths, don't let people blow smoke, and have realistic expectations.
(ii) Unless they are offering a FULL ride, understand that anything less is a good indicator of their assessment of your abilities and future. And don't expect your parents to keep coughing up the difference so you can enjoy a 4-year holiday.
(iii) Unless you have realistic reasons to believe that they are offering you the path to a professional career in sport, make sure the educational opportunity is something you want, and make the most of it.
(iv) If you follow the above, and go into it with eyes wide open, its a great opportunity, enjoy.

Reply #516565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long does it take for Aussie kids going to US college to get their visa? Is this a difficult process, or will the college help out?

Reply #521640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754