Rashad
Years ago

Jermaine Beal re-signs with the Perth Wildcats

Just received an email from the wildcats confirming he has signed on for a year, with a second year option. Great news for the club!

Topic #34928 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Great news for the club and the league.

Reply #483400 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

2014 Grand Final MVP Jermaine Beal is staying with the Perth Wildcats after agreeing to a new deal with the six-time Champions.

Pending NBL approval, the contract is a one-year deal with a second year option - which if taken will see Beal remain at the Perth Wildcats until at least the end of the 2015/16 NBL season.

The 26-year-old American joined the Wildcats a year ago and is now looking to build a dynasty.

"I can't wait to get back to Perth to re-join my teammates and begin working towards defending our NBL Championship," said Beal.

“I love being a part of the Wildcats organisation, it’s a great club with great fans, and I’m looking forward to playing in front of them again this season.”

Jermaine “Dolla” Beal made a big impact for the Wildcats when a Championship was on the line in the 2014 NBL Grand Final.

He scored 19 points in game one, lead a brave Perth fight-back in the second game with another 19, before sealing the Larry Sengstock Medal in game three with a 15-point, four-assist performance.

Perth Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson is thrilled to have the Texan back for next season.

“He had an outstanding second half to last season, and it’s great to have a quality player back who knows our teammates and knows our systems. It’s great to be able to keep the nucleus of the team together,” he said.

“Jermaine is versatile. He can play the point, he can play the shooting guard, he can play a number of different positions, he has a big three-point range and can get to the bucket as well. He suits our style and suits our team which is a good combination.”

On his way to becoming a Championship player in 2013/14, Beal averaged 15.6 points per game - putting him in the League’s top-eight scorers for the season.

He also drained a league-leading total of 101 three-pointers at an impressive 43.3 per cent – making him the second most accurate shooter from long-range in the competition for the season.

On top of these numbers, he also averaged 3.4 assists and 2.4 rebounds per game.

“We are very happy to have Jermaine coming back to Perth,” said managing director Nick Marvin.

“He’s a very hard working player and the work he puts in shows on the court. We’re now looking forward to seeing the long term impact he can make on this club and this city.”

Before joining the Wildcats, Jermaine Beal attended Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and played professionally in the NBA D-League, plus seasons in Poland, Belgium and Brazil.

Beal will arrive in Perth later this month to get started early on pre-season training.

The Perth Wildcats have now signed eight players on their 2014/15 roster.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson, assistant coach Adam Tatalovich and managing director Nick Marvin return from scouting at the NBA Summer Leagues in the USA, next week.

Reply #483403 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Another decent import signed is great news for the league and the fans, nice work Wildcats.

Reply #483410 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Will be great to see what he is capable of as the big cheese instead of the second banana. I think he'll have a huge year.

Reply #483415 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice!

Reply #483423 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Yep, well done, Wildcats!

Reply #483424 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, yes, yes-yes, yeeeeeeesssssss

Reply #483436 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Perth still to sign a Marquee player?

Reply #483438 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, they've got a three-person team which ... if I recall correctly, is comprised of Marvin, Gleeson and Tatalovich, hunting for the right person. See if they can get an Ennis Mk2.

Reply #483440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate Perth and their arrogant fans, over Jermaine Beal and what he brings to the league.

Reply #483444 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh, petty anons, how pathetic you sound.

Reply #483446 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thanks for sharing #444 haha. Great to have Beal back I'm sure breakers fans would be just as happy having Cedric back.
Still a marquee player to be found.

Reply #483447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as Marquee player is a good flopper should fit right in with the Perth Floppers. And no I am not a 6ers fan

Reply #483449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon super salty ITT

Reply #483451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not salty,........just don' t have much time for Pert flogs

Reply #483454 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

They will sign a marquee soon as they are due to starting training again at end of month. Also the U'u/ Burdon place

Reply #483457 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Does the marquee player have to be a fair dinkum *** MARQUEE PLAYER *** (name in flashing lights) or can a team use this provision to just sign anyone outside of the cap?

There are lots of players who no one has ever really heard of who are really, really good at basketball but are pretty much too expensive for the NBL's salary cap situation prior to this rule. Can these guys be signed under this rule or does the league have to sign off on the contract after reviewing that, yes, said guy will get bums on seats league wide?

Reply #483461 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Glad to see JB back.

Reply #483468 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mick,

It doesn't really work that way. Only the salary past $150k is outside the cap for the Marquee.

Reply #483473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont like perth or how they go about it. But great to have beal a super solid import in the league. Ideally wish he was anywhere but perth... still great for league.

Reply #483485 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Great to have Beal back.

Perth are a great club to be able to retain so many players.

Hope to see another Sixer Vs Wildcats GF this next season.

Reply #483493 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

I think he's going to be better now Ennis is gone.

Reply #483496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Breakers getting Jackson back and keeping Abercombie, it looks like a Perth V Breakers onslaught once again.

Reply #483497 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

I dont think the Breakers will be that good as to be automatic favourite for the GF. This marquee rule could cause any team to go from zero to hero if selected properly.

Reply #483508 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Obviously as a Perth fan - really great news.

However from a league view - fantastic if Jackson is back, Beal stays ....just a shame if DJ does leave.

The future of this league depends on it getting better, and with the amount of talent coming through college - I'd love to be running this thing ....the 10 year view is great IF we can negotiate the next 2-3 seasons.

Reply #483522 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Great news but I wonder what this means for any return to the Wildcats for Kevin Lisch?

Surely running a 3 guard rotation of Dolla and Damo with Lisch coming off the bench would be an option but it's certainly not a guarantee of happening

Reply #483549 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Lisch already signed with a Spanish club after leaving his French club.

Great news about Beal. Love the way he plays and brings heart to the club. Also a big fan favourite.

Reply #483565 | Report this post

Kay  
Years ago

Yep, Lisch signed about a month ago with Spain.

Reply #483608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan since forever. and I don't want Lisch back.

Why have a poor mans Beal when you already have Beal?

The other import spot has to be a super awesome SF, basically an Ennis clone.

Reply #483642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is better than Beal.

Reply #483648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754