Anonymous
Years ago

Love To Be A Cavalier???

Surely it's set for Love to become a Cavalier with Cleveland now saying they will offer Wiggins as part of the trade.

Lebron must have plenty of pull!

Topic #34931 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Ahhh...another super team - boring!

Reply #483510 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldn't trade wiggins for love.

If they keep him and do it right, they could be comtenders for over a decade

Reply #483512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If so, they are just trading for a championship now, no eye for the future giving up Wiggins!

Just like most NBA franchises do :)

Reply #483513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is professional sports and Cleveland ain't ever won a championship.

You got the greatest player on the planet in LeBron.....the time is now.

Plenty of young talent on the roster already.....pull the trigger and go get the people of Cleveland their much deserved championship

Reply #483516 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

NOOOO please dont trade Wiggins for anyone bar Kevin Durant. (which would never happen, so dont trade him!)

Bad move imo.

Reply #483517 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Kevin Love is only 25 years old & has informed Cleveland that he would resign with them long term. Lebron is 29 & Irving is 22, all three are still pretty young & could dominate the east for the next 5 years +.

I think this is a smart trade, as there is no guarantee that Wiggins will be an all star, where as Kevin Love is already a young all-star. So why not trade Wiggins while his value is so high.

Love average 26 pts, 12.5 rbs & 4.4 ast last year.

Reply #483518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for the next installment of Uncle Drew, with Kyrie, Kevin and LeBron all dressed up as oldies smashing up rings and backboards in downtown Brooklyn!

Reply #483520 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Smart move ......Love gives them grunt now and much easier to cover the SG position next season than find some interior scoring.

Defence is going to need to improve though if they are to challenge any team in the west.

Reply #483524 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So does Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love respectively become Dwaynne Wade and Chris Bosh v.2.0? This script sounds so familiar.

Reply #483528 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Maxymoo: SG is actually the position with the scarcest available talent in the NBA right now.

Reply #483529 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Great move...the cavs are in win now mode...not waiting for another 5 years to maybe have wggins develop

Reply #483532 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I honestly think Lebron is good enough to win now with stopgap pieces. Then Wiggins will come along just as Lebron's skills are declining and will be able to give his career a kickstart at its tail end.

Kevin Love is a minus defender. Wiggins is shaping up to be a great defender. Not sure that love is championship material.

Reply #483535 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Bad move... mainly because I want Love to be a Warrior.

Reply #483540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pwned, I'm with you bro! Still, would rather Cleveland buy a championship than Miami. As a franchise and city, they need some "love".. Pun intended...

Reply #483542 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

@Mick ....I'd like to be Ray Allen's agent right now.

Reply #483544 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with Mick,

Wiggins is a good defender and has the potential to be a really good 2 way player, even if he doesnt become elite.

Love and Irving are not even the defenders that Wade and Bosh are.

Love, Irving, LeBron gives them a really good offensive unit, but they have very few good defenders which will hurt imo.

Hence why im keeping Wiggins, who i reckon within 3 years will be a All Star level swing man, will improve his outside shot to be atleast adequate next to a LeBron and a awesome 2 way player, ie better than Love.

It might sound crazy but id almost rather trade Irving and keep Waiters than trade Wiggins in this deal. Waiters could do close enough to what Irving does (or sort of play the Wade role) and is cheaper, LeBron can do the play making on offense as a point forward and they (Irving/Waiters) wont be together so the clashing wont be an issue.

Offer them Thompson, Bennet, Waiters (or Irving) and what ever draft picks you have for the next 2 years and thats it, really the Wolves would have trouble getting a better offer than that.

To me the biggest tragedy would be if you trade Wiggins in this deal, he becomes elite within a year or 2 like LeBron did, Love doesnt work out at the Cavs and leaves after the 1 season he is currently contracted. You might say its unlikely but id rather not get Love at all than have that happen.

Guys like Love who doesnt play good defense dont usually win titles imo, he is not the player im trading the 'best prospect since LeBron' for.

Reply #483545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see wiggins today, he played pretty well and with Lebron and kyrie the 3 of them could be pretty useful. Wait 1 year for love to come across and it cost you nothing. Bennett looks like he could be a useful piece as the way he has been playing he is a Haslem upgrade.
I hope Lebron doesn't demand they make the trade as they should be good enough without love this year

Reply #483550 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The other thing they need to factor in: Lebron's defensive ability is only going to decline from here on in...

Reply #483553 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Le Bron, Kyrie & Wiggins - would be destroyed by any of the top 4 West seeds, assuming they get by whoever the East throws up in the finals.

Reply #483557 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but Love isn't winning them a title this year either. Why not wait a year and snatch him in free agency? That way you get to properly evaluate Wiggins and get a handle on how good this kid is gonna be.

What if he turns out to be a Paul George level talent in 3 years time? I think he is going to be better. He already handles the ball better and has a better grasp of the intangibles of the game of basketball.

Would you still make this deal?

Anthony Bennett is going to be much better this year as well so there is another trade piece you can dangle to bring in immediate help once his value soars. Tristan Thompson is another guy that you can move (even if it may be difficult considering Lebron and he share an agent)

I'd be putting everyone except for Lebron, Irving and Wiggins on the block right now.

Give me someone like Joakim Noah over Kevin Love any day of the week.

Reply #483560 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Exactly more reason to keep Wiggins.

I agree with Bill Simmons's comments on Grantland re this situation.

Basically hold off, play with the Cavs roster as is til atleast December/Januaray, then flick the T-Wolves Waiters, Bennett, Thompson, draft picks offer again, which would still be the best offer on the table. Only put Wiggins in if he doesnt show some decent signs by then, which is unlikely imo.

Reply #483563 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Mick is spot on imo.

Reply #483564 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Why give up Wiggins for Love now when at the end of the season he is a few agent and you can have both

Reply #483572 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Sorry didn't read Mick's post, agree with him

Reply #483573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick pretty much nailed it.

Reply #483579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't trade Wiggins for Love!
Wouldn't trade him for Love or money either but would consider Love AND money.

Not sure either James or Love are going to be happy at Cleveland being spectators while Irving dribbles the shit out of the ball and jacks up shot after shot.
They will however enjoy their minutes if Delly stays and plays decent minutes in the 1 spot

Reply #483581 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

bandwagon is strong if this trade comes into fruition

Reply #483584 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Good post Mick.

I'd pull the trigger.

To win a championship is hard, to win one without the clout of being one of the big marketplaces is even harder.

You get James and you're a Mid range club ....you just have to go for it and I forgive them if they roll the die on their future for now.

Wiggins will take time, Love is in his prime. Love can also be insurance ..James is no long term certainty get Love on a mid year deal is an insurance policy.

I don't think the Cavs can risk a year to be honest - they have 2 years to win it or It may well explode. Love - Irving - James ... a bit of luck in the marketplace.

The key question to me is what are the steak knives in the any Wiggins for Love deal?

Waiters must stay - he would have a field day with the extra space.

Reply #483593 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Unless Lebron is demanding they make the trade now, I'd hang tough if I were Cleveland. I can't see how the Wolves do better than a package of Thompson, Bennett and Waiters, so I'd offer that and make it clear Wiggins is untouchable.

Reply #483601 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

There is the worry is that GSW may give in and throw Klay on the table.

The other outside chance is that Boston do something left field .... you just never know with the Celtics and a fistful of draft picks. Personally I'd prefer to just stay the course.

Reply #483613 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I find this Cavs team intriguing. Of course there is the arrival of LeBron, but signing David Blatt as coach makes it so much more interesting. I found the Cavs awful to watch last season. There was little teamwork. Their offense was painful to watch. If you enjoy individual play and iso, you'd enjoy watching Irving and the Waiters black hole. I'm intrigued to see how Blatt deals with that. His offense will surely be infinitely better. It is hard to project how guys like Irving and Waiters will deal with that structure.

I would look to unload either Irving or Waiters before Wiggins. Wiggins seems to fit the Blatt system as well as anyone on that roster, so I'm kind of surprised they would trade him. Although I would want to see how these guys fit into the Blatt system first. The lure of signing a 25-year-old All-Star has got to be damn enticing, though.

IMO trade anyone apart from James, Varejao, and Wiggins. Keep either Irving or Waiters, although the marketability of Irving and the fact that he is a point guard, basically guarantees keeping him.

Reply #483633 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yep id also trade Irving before Wiggins. Id rather trade neither, but would put Irving in if it came down to it and you were convinced you needed Love (im not, personally id rather go for Bosh) but wouldnt trade Wigggins

The other thing to consider cap flexibility wise going forward.

Say Wiggins develops into a all star at the same sort of rate Irving has ie within 2-3 years. He will still be on a rookie scale contract, if you have a all star level guy that cheap that is so valuable to any team imo, as you have extra cap space to sign the 3rd star and put some real depth around them. Irving after the next season goes into a max contract, Wiggins will still have 3 rookie scale years left. Wiggins is also a better prospect in the fact he is a genuine 2 way player, is athletic and versatile. I really like Bill Simmons's thoughts that he and LeBron could fly around the court like Jordan/Pippen did and dominate at both ends, they may not get there, but its not that far fetched either. If they get to 80% of the Jordan/Pippen combo, which they could and pretty soon too, it will be amazing! Thats also the type of combo you win titles on too. To me thats more valuable than having Love and/or Irving.

Reply #483649 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Mick, do the Cavs have cap space to sign Love to a max deal in free agency next year if they don't acquire him via trade?

Reply #483656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they don't, they have none as of right now, can only sign guys to the veterans minimum

Reply #483663 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

They would trade out some cap with whoever they move and you could back end with extra cap space following next season.

I'm sure they could get a reasonable deal across the line if Love wanted it.

Reply #483667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754