Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane NBL team - where are you?

You know I cannot believe in a basketball league they call National, that there is no Brisbane team. I have been waiting now around 6 years to see some pro basketball here in Brisbane. This city is the 3rd most populated city in Australia and we have no team. Every year I hear some NBL or BA spokesperson say it is a priority to get a team in the league. Each year nothing happens. I have three little boys all playing basketball. The oldest 6 and the youngest 2 (yes he is starting young) and I can't get them to a pro game to show how good a game of basketball could be. Watching a game like this would motivate them so much to want to play more.
If teams can work in Cairns and Townsville plus in smaller capital city markets then why is there no team here?
Like a lot of Brisbane based basketball fans I just feel very let down by the NBL for announcing nothing. Just saying "it’s a priority to get a team in Brisbane" is nothing. Announce it, give us a definite - it’s happening and we can all sit back and look forward to it.
This pre-season NBL league they do is another way they could promote it. Why don’t they play any of these games in Brisbane to gain some interest. Even a few of the current NBL teams playing a home game or two in Brisbane would be excellent just to get everyone revved up for a new team coming sometime.
For a family and city that love basketball so much, it is really disappointing that we have no team and really no definite plans to get one.

Topic #34934 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti Nagy the other day:

PUT your house and land package on this - there WILL be a Brisbane team in the expanded 2015-16 NBL competition.

No "ifs".

No “buts”.

No “maybes”.

Whether they will return as the Bullets, whether they will play at the Convention Centre, Chandler, Auchenflower, Boondall or elsewhere – those are questions which cannot yet be answered.

But Brisbane basketball fans, indeed, any fan of elite basketball in south-east Queensland, once again you will have your own club to support after the forthcoming 2014-15 NBL season.
Full article

Reply #483652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a semi national completion. Qld are represented NT aint, Canbra isn't nor Tassie, plus the kiwis are in,

Reply #483674 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Brisbane NBL team - where are you?"

Geographically, I imagine it wouldn't be anywhere other than Brisbane.

Reply #483677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is wrong.

Reply #483689 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

He better not be! I already put my house and land package on it!

Reply #483702 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Expansion teams are to be announced in October, IIRC.

As far as pre-season or regular-season NBL games in Brisbane: Gold Coast played two home games in Brisbane in 2011/12, and the pre-season tournament was there a couple of seasons ago.

Reply #483707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seem to recall that the Brisbane pre season stuff wasn't well attended at all.

Reply #483722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

All Boti did was report what the NBL CEO said, so if Boti is wrong Neill is wrong.

Reply #483726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that the NBL is looking at Canberra, Melb,Hobart and NZ for entry in another seasons time. Yet the NBL are talking about having a Brisbane side in NEXT season when they haven't even formally applied. Maybe Boti should do some investigative reporting for a change.

Reply #483727 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you should do some reading comprehension! Boti is talking about 2015-16, same as for the other teams.

Reply #483732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had the impression next season Obviously wrong. Maybe do some research yourself and find out if the NBL have offered them an expression of interest. I know that answer. But do you or Boti know? Maybe wait til Boti finds out then you can agree with him.

Reply #483734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As I said, that article was quoting the CEO, if those comments turn out to be wrong I'll take that as a reflection on him.

I'm looking forward to Oct/Nov to see who is actually granted a licence. I've heard about sure things before that haven't eventuated, hopefully this time is different.

Reply #483735 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Brisbane would lead my list of candidates for expansion.

I'd really love to see Canberra & Wellington in as well.

Reply #483738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Search "Brisbane Bullets" on Facebook.

There is a new article there.

Reply #483779 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Be nice to have a Brisbane Team or Gold Coast Team back. I would love to watch some NBL basketball The Doctor and I have been missing it

Reply #483782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New article where? Their last post was 2011 as far as I can see,

Reply #483792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brissie should be in. Changes afoot with the NBL and their expansion.

Reply #484148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti reconfirms Brissie. Graeme Watson gone and with the stumbling block gone it's green light time.
Brissie, Tassie and then who. Canberra are behind the 8 ball, so Melb and NZ I am assuming.
Bring it on.

Reply #484568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754