Mystro
Years ago

Daniel Dillon/NZ Breakers fails to eventuate

The New Zealand Breakers have failed to acquire the services of Daniel Dillon for the 2014/15 season.
The athletic guard has turned down the offer from the Breakers choosing instead to head back to Romania where he has played previously .
Dillon would have been the replacement for Darryl Corletto who was released after last season and now signed with Melbourne United.

http://nzhoops.co.nz/dillon-deal-falls/

Apparently Vickerman is looking at the Perth Wildcats Drake U'u who is playing on his team at the Worldwide Invitational Tournament.

Cedric Jackson (10) / ?
Corey Webster (4) / ?
Tom Abercrombie (8) / Reuben TeRangi (1)
Mika Vukona (9) / Duane Bailey (1)
Alex Pledger (7) / ? (10)

Alex Pledgers backup is likely to be an Import (if history is anything to go by) leaving just the two back up guard spots to fill.
Vickerman was quoted by Stuff.co.nz to say that he was looking signing 2 bigs to back up Pledger & Vukona meaning he may even plan to drop Bailey down to TeRangi's Small Forward spot.
They can potentially use 10 points on each spot due to NZ doing very well in the loyalty discounts and by signing players to long term contracts based on their lower points ratings.

Cedric Jackson was apparently signed under the Marquee Player Rule meaning his salary is exempt from the cap but NZ's veteran Tall Blacks core cannot be cheap. Vukona, Abercrombie & Pledger will all be on reasonable money (although I'm not suggesting they should be on peanuts either) so really the salary cap is going to decide how decent the Breakers bench will be this season.
Initial indications have been that Dean Vickerman has been taking a long look at a couple of NZNBL Import PowerForward/Centres which will obviously be a fair bit cheaper.

I'm not sure Breakers Management are holding out much hope to snag Rob Loe but he has yet to join the Tall Black's camp and with Breaker's Assistant Coach Paul Henare on the Tall Blacks Coaching Staff he will have great opportunity to put forward the best possible pitch to the former Breaker's Academy player to join the team for next season. He's currently on the GSW's Summer league Roster and will join the Tall Blacks for the next leg of their preparation for the WC's.

Lindsay Tait (4)
Everard Bartlett (4)
Drake U'u (4)
Rob Loe (3)
Gary Wilkinson (10)
Suleiman Braimoh (10)
Will Hudson (8/9?)
Jarrod Kenney (1)

any other potential candidates?

Topic #34938 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers will be waiting to see what Rob Loe decides to do before signing the last import spot & also waiting to see what happens when TeRangi gets sentenced in Court as to his future.
If he stay s a Breaker, TeRangi may even find himself playing some Shooting Guard after Vickerman indicated he dropped sharp shooter Darryl Corletto as he wanted more athletic output from that position. TeRangi definitely provides plenty of athleticism and is a more than capable perimeter shooter but may find himself unable to play after getting himself in a pile of trouble.

May even see

Jackson / ?
Webster / (*TeRangi)
Abercrombie / Bailey
Vukona / Braimoh
Pledger / ?

Not a whole lot of NBL experience on that bench though.

Reply #483739 | Report this post

sharod  
Years ago

I would like to see to add one or two NZ guard to the team, Everard Bartlett can play combo and he was in good form in NBL, better three point shot percentage in the past season. Tait and Kenny were also playing good. Not much other Kiwi guard choose.

How about the development spots? I would really like to see several youngsters joining for this season...Matt Freeman, Le'afa, Shou Nisbet...etc. Those are good talents for 16-17 age group, and especially need to develop the kiwi guard positions.

Reply #483749 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bartlett can shoot but struggles to handle the ball with smothering pressure as does Kenny but he doesn't have anywhere Bartlett's shot.
Tait has solid handles and good IQ, tons of experience and decent height for a PG, he would be my pick out of the NZ contingent.

Aaron Bruce wouldn't be a bad pickup for a backup PG.

Paul Henare should be spending as much time as possible with the future PG prospects developing them and mentoring.

Reply #483752 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The guy is an absolute basket case when it comes to contracts. He's an absolute joke

Reply #483754 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Dion Prewster is someone who should be considered for the back-up SG spot, has potential to be a very good defender at NBL level. Certainly Bartett and Tait are decent options, and I imagine they're still working on Tai Webster too.

Reply #483758 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Apologies for making a thread on Dillons signing a week ago. He must be on more money in Romania which is interesting/prefer it over there.

Id like to see Tait as the backup PG.

I feel like we've hamstrung ourselves a bit by releasing Corletto - fair enough releasing him but theres not many quality SGs out there and i would have hoped that Vickerman released him on the basis that he had someone better raring to fill the void. But instead were now going to be clutching at straws.

I would love to see Braimoh be given a go as backup/starting C - he would be cheap as chips/great value.

Would also love to see Horvath fill the backup PF position. A team like:

Jackson/Tait
Webster/ ? (Maybe Prewster)
Abercrombie/ Bailey
Vukona/Horvath
Pledger/ Braimoh

Nice lineup

Reply #483773 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like that squad Macdub.
Horvath presents a blue collar PF with some size & mongrel without commanding an import spot and 10 points (not that the points cap is restricting the Breakers remaining spots). He's mature & experienced and won't cost a bomb.
Lindsay Tait has decent size at PG so he can see over traps & still enough pace to get into the lane and is pass first but capable of scoring. He also won't cost a heap.

I am hoping we get something like

Jackson / Tait
Webster / Import
Abercrombie / Bailey
Vukona / Horvath
Pledger / Loe

Reply #483784 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ Mystro and MACDUB, so it's safe to say that you guys either don't rate Te Rangi or you think the strife he is in will prevent him from playing this upcoming season?

Reply #483813 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I like the teams set out by Macdub or Mytsro. Horvath would be that 'Hudson-type' we spoke about in another forum- the sort of mongrel that we were missing in the season just gone by. Getting Rob Loe (who I don't know much about) seems like a priority- and if he can shoot the 3 ball he fills the 'void' left by Big G and some. This Braimoh sounds good and yes, I am all for giving these guys that play in the second-tier an opportunity- look at Conklin last year, he was definitely not of out of place.

Reply #483817 | Report this post

Black Panther  
Years ago

Too bad about Dillon. I would take him over U'u, Tait, Bartlett, Prewster, etc. Like the idea of Te'Rangi at SG. I suppose someone like Marcel Jones would be priced to high to get as Abercrombie's backup. If that could happen, keep Bailey behind Vukona and add your import big. Braimoh is pretty intriguing.

Reply #483821 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

There is a big chance TeRangi won't be able to play due to his conviction and even if he escapes serious charges I'm not sure he deserves to get off totally scott free.

If he does stay in the team I would slide him down to SG and create mis matches with his size & athleticism. He would still play the majority of minutes behind Abercrombie but could play some SG when Webster is running the point with Jackson on the bench.

If the Breakers get Loe TeRangi may miss out all together with Bailey getting his spot with a clean record and NZ getting an import SG who can handle the ball and create his own shot, C.Webster 2.0

Dillon would have been a great 6th man, real shame this deal failed to eventuate.

Jackson will play the lions share of minutes at the point with his fitness & conditioning it won't be an issue

Reply #483822 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think Te Rangi will suit up.

Perhaps the Breakers received a pre-sentence report/got told that the DWC application wasn't going to happen.

If they were going to get Te Rangi back, it wouldn't make sense to get Bailey as a contracted player - if they were confident of getting Te Rangi back they would have got Bailey as a DP.

Reply #483937 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I tend to think he won't be playing also, Judge may throw the book at him or the Breakers Management may decide he needs to have a long hard think about his future.

Reply #484328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754