Ganymede 86
Years ago

Breakers sign Tai Wesley

The SKYCITY Breakers have followed up last week's news that Cedric Jackson has signed a two year contract to once again play for the club with another player signing, announcing Guam international Tai Wesley to the playing roster for the 2014/15 campaign.

Wesley has an interesting background that includes his recent stint with Paul Henare’s Southland Sharks in the Bartercard NBL, during which the power forward impressed with his scoring and rebounding ability, helping the undermanned Sharks into the Final Four weekend with 16 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.

A Guam international, Wesley has a Fijian father and while he comes out of the American system at Utah State, he is not regarded as an import in the ANBL under the new FIBA Oceania Player Rule.

Henare spoke of what he has seen of Wesley at the Sharks and why he will be a good fit for the Breakers.

"He is a very versatile player, a very high IQ player, for a power forward he can handle the ball well and is a good passer and is mobile, a bit of a unique skill set and he brings a real versatility to the team, which will help us out.

“Tai is very good in the low post, I spoke to Gary Wilkinson about him when I was recruiting for the Sharks and Gary rated him highly as a post player, he has an array of moves down low where he can score. But he seems like a guy that will do whatever we need, rebound, pass, score, and has that versatility.

“He is obviously a very high quality person as well, he immersed himself into New Zealand in his short time at the Sharks and fitted in well. The new Oceania player rule is a great bonus, that was the reason we could get him in Southland but to have this caliber of player as a local is a big advantage."

Wesley revealed of another link to New Zealand and the Breakers that has led him via the Sharks to the North Shore based club.

“The contract between myself and the Breakers came about mostly because of Gary Wilkinson. He and I are really good friends and played college ball together for two years at Utah State so he actually recommended me to first go play with the Southland Sharks. He had a really good relationship with Pauli and since they were at a point where they needed a couple guys it worked out really well for me to step in and play. From there I think the Breakers saw me and, with Pauli being the assistant with the Breakers, we worked out a deal.”

Wesley is looking forward to the 'family’ environment that is renowned at the Breakers and spoke of his own large family growing up.

“I grew up in a BIG family. Not just big in numbers but also big in size. I have five brothers and one sister, and all my brothers are 6'3” or taller and all play ball. I have three older brothers who played division 1 college ball and my oldest brother (Mekeli) played six years pro in Europe. So basketball has been a big part of my life but another big part of my life has been my religion. At 19 years old I served a two year service mission for my church in Oaxaca Mexico.

Wesley has been married for two years and is looking forward to settling in New Zealand for the summer. The 28 year old has already heard plenty about the culture he is coming into at the SKYCITY Breakers.

“My expectations coming into the season are very high. I know the Breakers organization is very well known and respected and has a tradition of winning. I expect nothing less from this upcoming season.

“For me personally I would like to improve on the little things that make the difference when the game is close, things like rebounding, defence and setting screens. I think if I can improve on those things then I can help the team achieve our collective goals.”

Wesley will join the club in late August to begin preparations for the new season and will eagerly await the return of the club’s Tall Black players from the FIBA World Cup in Spain which gets underway in late August.

Tai Wesley Bio
28 years old

Guam International

US College Career with Utah State
After redshirting the 2004-05 season, Wesley did not join the Utah State Aggies until 2007–08 after he went on a two-year Mormon mission to Oaxaca, Mexico. In his freshman season, he shot 63.5% from the field, ranking sixth all-time at Utah State for a single-season. He also scored in double-figures 18 times, including three 20-point games. In 35 games (24 starts), he averaged 9.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.

In his sophomore season, he was named to the WAC's all-tournament team and earned NABC All-District 6 second team honors. In 35 games (all starts), he averaged 12.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists and 1.1 steals per game.

In his junior season, he was named to the WAC's all-tournament team for the second-straight year and earned All-WAC first team and NABC All-District 6 second team honors. In 35 games (all starts), he averaged 13.7 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.3 blocks in 27.5 minutes per game.

In his senior season, he earned All-WAC first team honours for the second-straight year. In 34 games, he averaged 14.8 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 blocks in 29.2 minutes per game. In the 2011 WAC Men's Basketball Tournament semi-final, Wesley scored two free throws in the final seconds to defeat San Jose State 58-54.

Topic #34960 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Sounds like a good pick-up. Might allow them an import guard off the bench, perhaps a 2-3 to back up Webster and Abercrombie if Te Rangi doesn't play next season.

Reply #484142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent signing! Can back up both Vukona and Pledger and Bailey will be the 4th big which they didnt have last year...breakers putting together a great looking squad

Reply #484145 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Too bad big red aint there
pledger injury prone waste of time

Reply #484172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger is injured right now but its hardly fair to call a guy who has had no injuries in his career until 6 months ago injury prone

Reply #484180 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

has been injured in the past during NZBL season

injured 2nd half of would be 4th peat

injured playing ps4 just recently

Reply #484185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two injuries in a career does not make injury prone.

Reply #484191 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Wesley has a Fijian father and while he comes out of the American system at Utah State, he is not regarded as an import in the ANBL under the new FIBA Oceania Player Rule."

When did that start? And what exactly is the rule?

Reply #484193 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bailey is hardly a big man.

He will be playing the 3 spot I would imagine, not the 4 spot.

He is 6"6

Reply #484196 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hasn't Pledger been playing national team games? I remember him saying that it was good to get back out there?

Reply #484201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isn't Vukona 6.6"?

Reply #484205 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree that Bailey will play the bulk of his minutes at SF but I do expect him to play some PF

Reply #484206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some solid rookies this season in the NBL: Tai Wesley, Angus Brandt, Mathiang Muo, Corey Maynard.

Reply #484211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Wookiee pledger tore a tendon in his toe during the tall blacks recent series against Korea! Has possibly ruled him out of the world cup but should be fine for NBL

Reply #484217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@The Dream Over the last couple years Damien Martin has torn his achilles and badly injured his ankle right before the playoffs and had to rehab both of those off season ruling him out of consideration for the Boomers! Both far more serious injuries than Pledgers! Is he injury prone? Idiot

Reply #484218 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

sound like you clean his hammer
chill?

marties mentality is too win & compete , he is a totally different animal

pledger loves his call of duty & ps4 too much to get his body right . been saying this for years , if he worked on his footwork , everything else will come in time . for all ive seen is he is blessed with height & can block a few shots on help defence . one on one , hes not the best. ups to him for making his own recruitment video to get a shot at college in america
but he needs to step up

you have Vukona by your side every week
eat what he eats & at least become half the beast his is . Wesley will make pledger look like Bloxham this season

Reply #484223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Hes proven over the last few years that hes one of the best 2 way big men in the league and I agree he can be inconsistent but he always came through in the playoffs when it counted during there championship runs. I just think you are being unfair in your criticism, he hasnt even entered his prime yet! Hes still pretty young(ish)

Reply #484228 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

When the Breakers play Pledger to his strengths he's great. Calling him injury prone is a bit of a stretch, sure he's had a bad run of late but thats just part of pro sports especially when you are over 7ft tall.

Reply #484229 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

pulling out the potential & prime cards

Reply #484233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some idiots bagging pledger.

Haven't seen Wesley play but reports look enticing. Mika is of Fijian descent. Having been to Fuji on occasion they have they right body types for bball. Especially power forward.

Signing makes bailey contract questionable. He's only 6.6, ( yes mystro vukona is only 6.5. - not relevant.). He was a complete non factor last year and Casey frank had to be called in. Unlike vukona. Bailey plays like a 6.4 inch guy so the only place he works is at sf. Maybe the plan is to play te rangi and Abercrombie at 2 which I don't mind.

Reply #484234 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I just like pulling the heights card. I am intrigued at the idea of TeRangi playing some SG. I guess it depends on how he goes in court to if he gets to stay a Breaker.

Reply #484258 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

@anon- how is wesley a rookie at 28?

Reply #484282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume this guy is going to be a development player?

Reply #484283 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

surely not-he is 28

Reply #484291 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He has played professionally in the Netherlands & France & NZ has signed him for 2years.

Reply #484325 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10296516/Wesley-arrival-gives-Breakers-food-for-thought

article outlining NZ's options and how Tai came to be in NZ

Reply #484360 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

From memory Pledger got hurt alot when he was in college

Reply #484454 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wesley will be very solid.

He averaged 15 & 8 for Utah State - a good D1 College.

Those numbers are probably comparable, if not better than, some imports we have had in the past so its great that we have been able to pick him up as a local.

Reply #484456 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Wesley < Pledger
Wilkinson < Pledger
Vukona < Pledger
Loe < Pledger

Reply #484490 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

The Dream you have those greater than signs back to front. :)

Wesley is greater than {>) Pledger
Wilkinson > Pledger
Vukona > Pledger
Loe > Pledger

At least I hope that is what you meant.

Reply #484498 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Inadvertantly The Dream got most of them right!

Reply #484511 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Rob Loe isn't close to Pledger, yet

Reply #484514 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

non qwerty keyboard sorry fellas

Reply #484515 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Loe is a different kind of player.

He will have a successful career as most big men who can shoot always do in the NBL.

Loe played 2,823 minutes and 4 seasons at St Louis. Funnily enough it wasn't until his second to last game of his college career (when he put up 22 and 15 on NC State) that I realised he could be a pretty special player.

Reply #484526 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wesley is a rookie despite being 28. That could work in the Breakers favour as he will be ready to contribute straight away

Reply #484531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did pledger sleep with the dreams daughter or something?? lol

Say what you want about him but center is a pretty important part of a team (especially defensively) and pledger was the starter on one of the most dominant teams in the history of the NBL (3rd championship team

Reply #484535 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's starting 5 looks better than Championship 2 & 3 as Corey Webster can create his own offence as well as knock down a contested 3 when compared to Corletto. The backup guard spots will determine how far NZ go this season imo.

Reply #484541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me it looks like they have signed Bailey to play until Kirk Penney is available in Dec. Then they will cut him and bring in Kirk. They will hold the fort with Abercrombie & Te Rangi playing some 2. They will still bring in a big(Loe or an import)and backup 1 (NZBL player). They did this a few seasons ago with Henrey playing until Kirk was done with the Spurs preseason.

Reply #485275 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Could be the case anon with Penney enrolled at the University of Wisconsin and without a playing contract beyond that.

Reply #485297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they are leaving lots of options open with Te Rangi, Loe and Penney all question marks. Possibly we'll see an import backing up Jackson and Webster and if Penney becomes available he'll replace him.

Remarkably, this line-up probably comes in at under 60 points or thereabouts!

Pledger 7/Loe 3
Vukona 9/Wesley 5?
Abercrombie 8/Bailey 1?
Penney 9/Te Rangi 1
Jackson 10/Webster 4

Reply #485306 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

That team screams 4th Championship Paul and yes NZ have no issues with Player Points after the loyalty discounts and long term contracts are applied.

Rob Loe has told NZ media that the plan is to head to Europe but he wouldn't write off NZ's chances.

Would love to see a team of

Pledger/Loe
Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/TeRangi
Penney/C.Webster
Jackson/Import

Second unit has some size and muscle with plenty of threats from outside. Run a cheaper Import PG behind Jackson who doesn't have to score the ball just carry it and dish it off with Webster playing the Harden/OKC role.

Reply #485350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could use Braswell in the backup point guard position.

Pledger/Loe
Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/TeRangi
Penney/C.Webster
Jackson/Braswell

Reply #485357 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They could, but after Jackson, Penney and Webster get their minutes I don't think the fourth guard would be seeing too much court time!

Reply #485373 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jackson & Webster will be a pretty decent backcourt combo. I'm impressed with Corey's attitude to conditioning and his defense has improved tenfold.

Reply #485377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754