Our Game
Years ago

Thon Maker is an Alien

Seriously though, we've all seen various Thon mixes, does anyone else recognize significant physical advancement of late? (see link below), increased quickness, becoming obviously more explosive & using it with devastating effect as he matures.
Seems like a very grounded, bright kid too.

Link below shows a truly bizarre skill-set, hard to predict the future of a player for which there's no precedent, unless someone can suggest a 7"+ player past or present for comparison.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9P4M21UXsk

Topic #34961 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's like a combination of Kevin Garnett and Nerlen's Noel.

Reply #484154 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"He's like a combination of Kevin Garnett and Nerlen's Noel."

Interesting but he's already a significantly larger athlete than either of those guys @17yo.

Reply #484156 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He's ball handing ability has come on ten fold! Exciting times!

Reply #484157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that's a much better mix than the usual dunk-and-shoot-3s ones around for him. Getting to the basket aggressively is a whole lot more sustainable than shooting 25% or whatever it is from downtown. I think Garnett is a reasonable comparison for him, and I'd be thrilled if he ends up that good.

Reply #484158 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Isaiah Austin had the same hype about him in high school , chill

Reply #484169 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The handle isn't perfect, but it's definitely miles ahead of others at that size. If he can shoot at anything approaching a reasonable percentage and perform adequate paint duties, he will be exceptionally rare with that agility even if he never packs on weight.

Reply #484200 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

plus he playing high school ball

preppy leagues or something weak like that

not hood balling like they used too in the 90s

Reply #484209 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Isaiah Austin is the right height/reach for comparison (both can almost touch the basket without jumping), similarly rare soft touch @that size, Austin lacked the outright mobility that Thon has & was rarely an intimidator around the basket.

Garnett presents an interesting comparison as he never really added a great deal of weight to his thin frame & it's not been an issue for him, may have compensated with unusual core strength.

I'd think Thon has 4-5 inches of standing reach over KG to work with (so far) & generally more tools at his disposal. Would love if he had half of KG's Nasty.

Reply #484210 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

yeah bring the funk back

Reply #484221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His potential is ridiculous. If he can put on weight and strength and maintain that mobility he's gonna be scary. One thing that really gets undersold is his jump shot. He may be shooting poor percentages but his actually shooting mechanics are great.

Reply #484251 | Report this post

Damooo  
Years ago

Which is why Basketball Australia has to do everything in their power to sign him up.

Even play him in the national team before he's ready, think of that future with Exum, Simmons and others! (plus Bogut, Patty etc etc).

Reply #484262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's some offensive resemblance to Isaiah Austin, but Austin didn't have that shot blocking ability. The criticism of Austin was that he fell in love with the perimeter game too much, and failed to create all the high percentage looks his physical tools should have led to. Seeing more of Thon attacking the basket is a good step towards avoiding that trap.

Reply #484274 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maker has earlier this year stated he would be make himself available to represent Australia in the FIBA U19 WC's in Greece (Crete) next year.

Reply #484277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was watching the most recent video of him before and damn, i've never seen a 7 footer move like that. Craaazy.

Reply #484297 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"The handle isn't perfect, but it's definitely miles ahead of others at that size"

I agree it's not perfect but I keep thinking, I have no idea what a seven footer breaking someone down off the dribble is supposed to look like:)

Reply #484299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it look like Kevin Durant breaking someone down off the dribble, but just a little taller?

Reply #484311 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"Would it look like Kevin Durant breaking someone down off the dribble, but just a little taller?"

No, it would it look like Dikembe Mutombo breaking someone down off the dribble.

Reply #484327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, those crossovers at 45 seconds are just ridiculous for a 7'1 player.

Reply #484397 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754