Anonymous
Years ago

Whatever happened to the ABA finals series?

Could somebody of an older vintage than myself and a knowledge of Australian hoops please inform me of what the ABA was, how it worked, where it went and why it's not still around?

Would be most appreciated.

Topic #34965 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

I am looking forward to how this gets explained.

Reply #484219 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Our association decided to withdraw due to affliation fees, hence the series dropped away.

Boti will have the full story

Reply #484232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE ABA finals in regard to exactly where?

Reply #484240 | Report this post

the tonight show  
Years ago

winner from every state / league played off in a tourney at the end of the season

Reply #484245 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Winner and runner up wasn't it?

Reply #484286 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

The ABA comprises 5 Leagues around the country. SA has the CABL (Central). Until I think about 2008 the premiers & wild cards (eg runner up) played off in a knock out series. SA often had 2 reps. The less financial leagues had difficulty competing with the stronger leagues like SEABL.
Trouble was also that all member clubs had to pay a substantial fee to be involved but only the top couple ever would get anything out of it (eg trip to finals).

Reply #484288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also heard lots of rumours that it was canned due to some shocking player behaviour at the last tournament. Any truth to this?

Reply #484390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO truth to that at all. It was too expensive for all clubs to pay their own way to the format that used to exist. SA played their last finals in 2010 I believe.

Reply #484567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754