Pointguard
Years ago

Rhys Martin keen on Europe, leaving the Hawks

Rhys Martin not playing for the Gong looking at Europe, good enough?

Topic #34982 | Report this topic

phillip  
Years ago

Maybe low end euro league like sweden or finnish league??

You wont see him at barca or tel aviv haha

Reply #484627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he has a European passport he is good enough for most leagues over there, obviously, but as an import would probably be restricted to lower competitions.

Reply #484630 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before this off-season and last season, I would've thought this might be seriously damaging to the Hawks but they're probably in a really good position to cover for this loss. And I say that as a Rhys Martin fan.

With Coenraad and Gruber both having good seasons, the Hawks have reliable options to either start or be early subs at SF and C. Then Hill's style could work under Gordie and Ballinger is an upgrade on the young back-up bigs used previously. In the past, imports were needed to cover one of those spots.

Demos can hold his own as a defensive bench guard meaning that Wollongong have their remaining import spots to cover the backcourt. And not only are there loads of import guards around, Gordie has a passable record on picking them - McKee, Ervin and Clarke vs Glover and the guy who didn't survive pre-season.

They could even try getting back Ervin as one of the guards.

Ervin/?
Import/Demos
Coenraad/Hill
Forman/Ballinger
Davidson/Gruber

Reply #484636 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Can't blame him for wanting to give it a go at 27? he is in his prime and a chance to earn extra $$ and live abroad good luck to him.

Reply #484648 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

Does he have a euro passport anyone know? Life aint easy as an import..

Reply #484649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Martin, a free agent who played for Australia against China in June, is keen to take advantage of his Irish heritage and play in Europe.

Reply #484650 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Rhys Martin is 27??? He looks at least 40.

Reply #484654 | Report this post

Bev Johnson  
Years ago

Rhys has a Irish passport & Dave don't be insulting loss of hair does not mean old all the best to one of our best

Reply #484661 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A really underrated player

Good with the ball, very elusive and clever ballhandler

A better shooter than people think

Reply #484669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a passport def a good idea and life experience, without a passport, kidding himself.... just not that good. Luckily he has the passport and should have options. Hopefully Hawks can get a decent replacement, who might offer even the slightest bit of excitement and passion. He always looks half asleep.

Reply #484685 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

I also heard goulding has a british passport meaning he could carve out a long euro career?

Reply #484688 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Im a fan of his game, a real smart, crafty pg.

Good luck to him in Europe,

Hope the Hawks can find another good guard to come in for him, not sure who the best options are?? Rhys Carter? Tom Daly? Lindsay Tait? any good pgs coming out of college?

Reply #484694 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Rhys is one of the best PGs in the NBL.

Often gets overlooked for accolades that other PGs often get but goes about his work and, when under-estimated, will make opponents pay.

It is a real loss to the NBL.

But I trust that Gordie will make the right adjustments.

Reply #484719 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Huge loss for Wollongong, he is their coach on the court, knows the offence inside-out, back-to-front. Played a huge role in educating new Hawks in the nuances of it.

He is one of my favourite players so if he is going to Europe I hope he gets a great opportunity.

Reply #484720 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Wollongong have just tweeted about a big signing next week!!
Seems they could have Martin covered quickly!

Reply #484844 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Any chance of Wollongong getting back Malcolm Grant and Lance Hurdle or are they in a better financial situation that they can chase another MVP calibre guard?

I like Rhys's game and trust him more than Gibbo... Good luck to him and it wouldn't surprise me of he came back a better player... Maybe as a Bullets player

Reply #484887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grant & Hurdle? Yeah why not bring back Glover & Catron too!

Reply #484968 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hurdle was a good role player, Grant had some good games early but struggled once teams got more familiar with him.

If Rhys leaves they're going to need a smart PG to make that offence hum.

Reply #484970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're going to need much better imports than guys the calibre of Hurdle & Grant.

Reply #485023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754