Andersen, Baynes, Jawai
Bairstow, Motum
Newley, Broekhoff
Ingles,Goulding, Exum
Dellavedova, Gibson

Topic #35001 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Here is our summary on the final 12 Boomers for Spain.

2014 FIBA World Cup: Lemanis names Boomers for Spain

Reply #485039 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Can't really knock it all. Gibson vs Martin is always a close call. Simmons wasn't quite ready. The others all have a chance to make an impact. Very happy

Reply #485042 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - happy with the team too. Hopefully will press to be at the business end of the tournament. Plenty of games to gel together as a team in the lead up too.

Reply #485043 | Report this post

Kevin Love  
Years ago

You'd think last chance for Andersen and Newley to make an impact internationally after not really doing anything the last handful of campaigns...

At least they didn't chuck Wortho in there again...

Reply #485044 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I think it's a good team, it has the offensive talent to help cover what we lose from Mills.

I think Lemanis is going to have to play a more conservative defensive style with this line-up though.

Martin, Wortho and/or Walker were the guys who could come off the bench and stir things up defensively. But as Lemanis has said a number of times, there are different ways to be disruptive.

Reply #485046 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What do people think of taking only 12 on the tour a month out? NZ have taken 14 in case of injury or poor form.

Reply #485048 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good point Paul - interesting decision. I guess they can always call someone up but if they have not been training with the team then they would struggle to fit in with the program.

Reply #485052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, four Queenslanders, four Victorians, two South Australians and two Tasmanians in the squad.

Reply #485053 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I think this is the best team we currently have available. There are no passengers here unlike we have had in the past. It looks like the team has been chosen on form and ability to contribute. I was very keen to have Simmons included but I can move on and get behind this squad.

Reply #485056 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

Who would have been last man picked? I'd say Broekhoff... It should have been Simmons. Not sure why Broekhoff is in the team, I know he is a shooter, but you already have shooters picked to space the floor and players with his length on the wing. Maybe I am missing something though? What does he bring that isn't already there? His offensive game is similar to Ingles from what I have seen. Goulding is your other main wing shooter. I think they would have benefited from a 3 man like Simmons who has more size and can do more off the dribble and DEFEND more athletic players. As someone else said on the other thread, take Simmons for the experience also. Obviously I say all of this without seeing a second of their camp. Perhaps Broekhoff has developed defensively

Reply #485058 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Have you seen Broekhoff play? He is not just a great shooter, but also able to defend bigger players and is an exceptional rebounder for his size.

Reply #485061 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

As aussie pride says, I'll get over it also, but seems like a conservative and dare I say 'boring' choice

Reply #485062 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

Didn't see his play this season in europe ... great if he can defend and rebound as you say. I thought he was a bit soft ?

Reply #485064 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Overall not too bad I would have preferred Martin made it I can understand Gibson selection. Great to see Broekhoff make it and at last we finally see Jawai in a major tournament.

Reply #485067 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why the hate for Broekhoff D? If I am correct Simmons is 6'11" and Broekhoff 6' 7" so Simmons would be a 4/5 not a 2/3 which means either Anderson, Jawai, Baynes, Bairstow or Motum took his spot not Broekhoff. You can't pick a 17 year old that hasn't really done anything against men just on he will be good is just plain dumb and especially he didn't shine at camp. You act like it's the end of the world when he has plenty of time to make teams and at this point in time he isn't ready but Exum is. To comment on Broekhoff when you have never seen him play, wow!

Reply #485069 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Great looking Aussie squad, some interesting inclusions:

Jawai, very fortunate that he's good to go (fortunate for us not fortunate for him, he's worked incredibly hard), he'll provide a presence we have missed in the past, take him out & we look very vulnerable.

Goulding, well need him to shoot the lights out in Patty's absence, if we are to go deep into the tournament.

Reply #485070 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gibson shouldn't be there. He is a class below everyone else on this team, and unlike past inclusions like Peter Crawford (who was also a class below everyone else on the London team, and not as good a player as Gibson), doesn't bring a single elite skill to counteract that.

I would have brought in Walker or someone else who can come in and do a few different things and who has the potential to impact a game.

Gibson won't be able to guard anyone or score on anyone at this level. This cannot be understated. For me it should have never been a Gibson V. Martin battle. It's Gibson, Martin and Goulding fighting it out for that one spot.

Gibson and Martin don't have the ball handling or playmaking ability at this level to play PG, so they have to play off the ball, and Goulding is much better than both of them at playing the 2 position, so he's in every time.

And who exactly is going to be guarding the stretch fours that every single elite international team is loaded with? Can Bairstow and Motum move their feet quickly enough to effectively guard the perimeter? (not rhetorical questions: i havent seen these guys play as much as the folk on here who follow college ball closely...). That's why you need a Lucas Walker.

I think our frontcourt is going to be too slow, but would love to be proven wrong. I just think all 5 of those frontcourt players are actually centers but no one told Lemanis because they all looked pretty quick in camp compared to each other because they're all slow.

The other problem is: none of our bigs or wings can play the 4 in small ball lineups. In 2014 that's a HUGE problem unless I'm missing something here.

Even though all of those guys are better than Walker, I would have included him over Motum or another big for versatility.

I would have brought in Simmons AND Walker and left out Gibson and one of the bigs (probably Motum or Anderson...who at this point in his career can't really guard anyone).

Sure Simmons is still a kid, but there's that small chance he has a bit of a coming out party even if only for one game. There's zero chance IMO that Gibson does anything of any value for this team.

And remember Ingles plays a bit of time at the point so that's even LESS reason to bring in another backcourt player.

I would have done this:

Andersen, Baynes, Jawai
Bairstow, Walker,
Newley, Broekhoff, Simmons
Ingles, Goulding
Dellavedova, Exum

And even that's not very balanced because you still have 1 too many centers for my liking...but there's just no other true power forwards available.

It just makes sense to me in terms of having more options and versatility.

Why are you carrying 5 lumbering frontcourt players Andrej Lemanis? You aren't going up against the '96 dream team. YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT WHO IS GOING TO GUARD SHAQUILLE O'NEAL.

Good luck, and the core guys are all obviously the right picks, but I would have liked it if he had filled out the fringes a little differently.

Reply #485071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think either exum or Simmons are mature enough to be getting a berth in a worlds team, neither have experience or body to go up against what is an experienced men's competition. They both are extremely talented against their own age groups but neither are ready for major contributions in a worlds team. The fact you all get hyped up about the exclusion of a 17 yr old is ridiculous, he has years ahead of him, and with every post he seems to get an inch taller !!! Get real guys the coaching staff of the boomers are all experienced been their done that players/coaches at a senior level. They know what they need and what it takes to play against the best in the world, this isn't u 18 nationals.

Reply #485072 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with you about the stretch four Mick, the injuries to Petrie and Barlow left us short there but we still needed someone.

Hopefully Motum can really step up, but after an 8 & 3 year in Italy where his defence wasn't great I'm not confident he's at WC level defensively yet.

I don't agree about the back-up PG spot though. As it is we only have Delly and Gibson so we are light on anyway. For me one of D Martin, R Martin, Gibson or Markovic had to go.

I would have picked Martin given the way Lemanis like to play, but have no problem with Gibbo who's improved a lot the past two years.

Reply #485073 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Really curious to see the rotation. The only locked in starters for me are Delly and Ingles.

Reply #485075 | Report this post

Glenn  
Years ago

I just read that lineup and thought;

"What if Maric, Bogut and Mills were replacing Gibson, Broekhoff & Motum?"

That'd be a squad.

Reply #485076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is five Queenslanders Paul. Jawai, Motum, Baynes, Bairstow and Goulding all from up north.

Reply #485077 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I really think that with this team, it potentially sets us up for Rio and beyond brilliantly.

The only guys that will definitely not get to the next Olympics in 2 years are Gibson and Andersen from this team.

Those in contention would also include Bogut, Mills, Simmons, Drmic, Maker plus more!

Good times ahead for the Boomers.

Reply #485078 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I put Goulding as a Tasmanian, he grew up in Launceston and then moved to Brisbane. He wanted to be in the Tassie 'state of origin' team the NBL did on twitter a little while ago, so that was good enough for me!

Reply #485080 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think all of those NBL backcourt guys have insurmountable flaws that would be massive liabilities every time they hit the floor, which is why I probably wouldn't bring any of them.

I just think with every extra guy you have on this team who can't shoot it makes our go-to scorers' jobs that much harder, so when said guy who can't shoot really doesn't have any other elite skills at the world level it's a no-brainer to leave him out.

Reply #485081 | Report this post

SF6  
Years ago

Out of the 4 Victorians, 2 have come out of the Frankston Junior program. Well done to Bill Runchey and all the work he did with them.

Reply #485083 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The rotation is really going to be interesting and Lemanis hasn't made it easy on himself...which is what I was thinking about when I said we are carrying too many lumbering bigs and not enough versatility in the frontcourt. So you start Aaron Baynes and then you bring in Jawai when he's tired or in foul trouble. And then when does David Anderson get any burn? Is Ando going to be happy being glued to the end of the bench? Or do you satiate that by playing him at the four and letting whoever he is guarding go for 30?

We also really don't know what we are going to get from Exum at this point. Maybe he plays his way into the starting lineup or maybe he plays himself out of the rotation entirely. We really don't know because NBA summer league is pretty much the best competition he's ever faced, which makes him really green.

I'd be starting them the way Isaac listed:

Delly
Ingles
Newley
Bairstow
Baynes

But then I would have no idea how to work the rotations...

Reply #485084 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

anon

You need to learn to read. I deliberately used tentative language and made no comments that would suggest 'Broekhoff hate' or that I think 'its the end of the world' because Simmons wasn't included. I have seen Broekhoff play copious times, however, just not this past season in europe (as already stated). He's obviously a great player. I was merely seeking peoples thoughts by asking some pretty harmless questions about his skill set and play? I hope he proves me wrong. I still think he doesn't provide anything not already offered by other players. LC's comments suggest he has some other skills, so we will see.

As for your comments, Simmons isn't a 4/5, he's a 3/4. He may in time play 5, but I doubt it, he has a skill set better suited to other positions. He isn't 6'11 either

I like what Mick has to say about guarding the stretch 4, it's an obvious hole on D for this team.

Reply #485085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Can't agree there Mick, plenty of players fill a valuable role at international level without being "elite" at any area. Australia has 30-40 players who could do so if put in the right role.

Reply #485086 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Broekhoff isn't a great player by any means. He's a role player at club level, but brings those skills to the Boomers - hits open shots, rebounds, defends, makes good decisions.

Reply #485088 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree there Paul: but what is Gibson's role here exactly?

I can't see what he brings to this team as constructed.

I can see a couple of other guys taking his spot that could come in and plug a hole (we have a couple at this point especially with the injuries).

Reply #485089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think his role is as a floor general when Delly is resting. For mine his leadership, ability to use the on-ball and repertoire of shots have all improved a lot the past two years so I am interested to see how that translates. We certainly need him to play a steady role.

Reply #485090 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So you see him as the primary back up at the 1 playing regular minutes?

Reply #485092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with Paul.

Simmons should be taken on the pre-tournament tour as an emergency and for experience.

Reply #485094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't see anyone else doing it. Ingles might play a little bit of PG in bursts but he's got enough on his plate to carry that load.

I don't think Gibson's will be a big role but I think it will be important to set the direction at both ends when he is in there.

Reply #485095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bit behind here. where is Barlow? not that we really need him anyway

Reply #485097 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Andersen, Baynes, Jawai
Bairstow, Motum
Newley, Broekhoff
Ingles,Goulding, Exum
Dellavedova, Gibson

Looking at the team selections above shows the coaches have an eye to the future without going too crazy by picking too many teenagers, they had no choice on that.

Defensively Gibson will have huge impact here, especially with his hustle in the back court, I expect him to lead that charge and the others to support him.

We have size, maybe we don't need to guard Shack, but if we can present inside dominance that can win us games, so be it...

Flexibility is the key, I don't think we are short of players who can cross over and switch positions.

Bairstow and Motum are interesting and potentially exciting choices at the power forward posiiton, both can flat out shoot it and they offer differnt looks inside, can't wait to see how they work out.

Plenty of outside shooting options from several players in the 2-3-4 spots, hopefully to be complimented with the confidence to take it to the rim!

Guys, be positive, it is a new team in a lot of ways, without some stars who are injured an unavailable, so we go in with what we have, I don't have any great issues, we can analyse the results as they transpire and be genisses in hindsight I guess...

Reply #485099 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was unavailable with injury I was told.

Reply #485100 | Report this post

Hulk Hogan  
Years ago

Trust me.....Anderson will / should start. The guy is a stud.

Reply #485104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What if Maric, Bogut and Mills were replacing Gibson, Broekhoff & Motum?"

Maric was absolutely terrible the last time he played for the Boomers. And when i say terrible, i'm not exaggerating. Probably the worst basketball player i've ever seen (for the Boomers).

Overall a pretty good team but once again a guy who shouldn't be on the team gets a gig. Gibson over Simmons? Really? I guess we needed another point guard though. But Gibson can't really give us anything. Simmons would've been a lot more beneficial for the Boomers. I know he's young but he's one of the most talented players we have (if not THE most talented). Exum should be our first back up point guard so Gibson should get minimal playing time.

My lineup

C - Baynes/Jawai
Pf - Bairstow/Anderson/Motum
Sf - Ingles/Broekhoff/
Sg - Goulding/ Newley
Pg - Delly/Exum Gibson

Reply #485105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yo know that Simmons was " one of the most talented players we have (if not THE most talented)" because you saw him compete against the actual people in the Australian team when???

Reply #485108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like there are only 3 talking points being the back up PG, Simmons omission and Ryan Broekhoff.

(1) Gibbo over Martin is okay I guess and I am not fused either way. The role is the "emergency" PG. It usually is for insurance incase one of your other PG's get injured (for example if Delly goes down in Game 1 of the tournament you can't just rely on Exum to play 40 minutes). If Delly doesn't get injured this role will hardly play 30 minutes of total court time, so I am not sure why people are complaining about the selection. I thought Martin was a better chance given his defensive ability, but Gibbo is 2 years Younger, can play 2 guard if needer, a better shooter and has more international experience than Martin. So can understand it.

(2) As for Simmons, I would have liked him to go, but can understand reasons why not to take him. I just hope he takes the omission the right way and still wants to play for the Boomers. He has a game built for YouTube at AAU games where no defence played, but I would have liked to see how he would have gone against the scragging Euro teams that would be willing to foul him hard to see if he stood up in a dog fight.

For mine, I would have liked Lemanis to swing for the fences a little bit and picked Simmons instead of Andersen. I know Andersen is a proven player, a former NBA player none-the-less, and it is tough to call the end on someone's career, but even if Andersen has a good tournament and Australia finish say 6th, what is the upside in that? I would rather take the younger team here (similar to what the soccerroos did) and hope to develop the players for the next tournament. It would have also meant that Ingles and Newly would have to step up as leaders as they would of been the experienced players.

(3) The Broekhoff inclusion I think is a good one. Had he gone the NBL path like Newly and Ingles we would be talking about him in the same light. He had a great College career and played out of position (as PF) for most of it. Almost got drafted in the NBA second round last year and had a solid first season as a Pro in Europe. If he gets minutes and has a solid tournament I could actually see him get an NBA deal as he is a good 3 and D prospect that NBA teams love. I don't think he took Simmons spot, I think it would of been one of the 5 other bigs.

Reply #485112 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If Bogut and Mills were available I think Gibson and Jawai would have missed out.
Thankfully Worthington missed out.

Reply #485113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And yo know that Simmons was " one of the most talented players we have (if not THE most talented)" because you saw him compete against the actual people in the Australian team when???"

He's constantly proved that he's one of the most talented players we have over the past year. He may only be playing against teenagers but he's shown off a unique skillset that really sets him apart from anyone else we have. He's worth 5-10 minutes a game at least. There's a reason why NBA and College scouts are getting hard over him. And no it's not just 'potential'.

Reply #485114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is just potential unless you can already produce at a higher level, which he couldn't the past week.

Reply #485118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It is just potential unless you can already produce at a higher level, which he couldn't the past week."

And a guy like Gibson can? He'll be fodder for the top international teams.

Reply #485119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't one or the other, they were competing with different players for different spots.

Reply #485122 | Report this post

LooksBetterNow  
Years ago

Boomers World Cup team:

David Andersen (Strasbourg; France), Cameron Bairstow (Chicago Bulls; NBA), Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs; NBA), Ryan Broekhoff (Besiktas; Turkey), Matthew Dellavedova (Cleveland Cavaliers; NBA) Dante Exum (Utah Jazz; NBA), Adam Gibson (Adelaide 36ers; NBL), Chris Goulding (CAI Zaragoza; Spain), Joe Ingles (Maccabi Tel-Aviv; Israel), Nathan Jawai (Galatasaray; Turkey), Brock Motum (Bologna; Italy), Brad Newley (Gran Canaria, Spain)

Reply #485127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit too top heavy, I would've left out Motum for Wortho. Gibbo deserved to be picked ahead of Martin who is a liability in international basketball.

Reply #485140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team USA in dissaray if you read this story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/26/kevin-love-team-usa-roster-fiba-basketball-world-cup/13207489/

Team USA is getting more vulnerable by the day.

With the Saturday announcement that Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love won't take part in the FIBA Basketball World Cup tournament in Spain, the task of securing an automatic bid for the 2016 Olympics and defending its gold medal gets a whole lot harder yet again, as LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trailblazers), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs), Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers) also bowed out recently and left Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo lamenting the unwelcome challenge of reworking his shrinking roster.

Reply #485142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers schedule of warm up games before the World Cup.

Airbnb Australian Boomers pre-FIBA Basketball World Cup Tour

Lithuania Tournament

Airbnb Australian Boomers v Finland
Friday 8 August @ Klaipeda, Lithuania 11:15pm (All times AEST)

Airbnb Australian Boomers v Ukraine
Saturday 9 August @ Klaipeda, Lithuania 11:15pm

Airbnb Australian Boomers v Lithuania
Tuesday 11 August @ Klaipeda, Lithuania 2:00am

Finland Invitational

Wednesday 12 August @ Helsinki, Finland 2:00am

Nice Tournament

Airbnb Australian Boomers v Ukraine
Saturday 16 August @ Nice, France 2:00am

Airbnb Australian Boomers v Philippines
Sunday 17 August @ Nice, France 2:00am

Airbnb Australian Boomers v France
Monday 18 August @ Nice, France 4:30am

Strasbourg Tournament

Saturday 23 August @ Strasbourg, France 4:30am

Airbnb Australian Boomers v France
Monday 25 August @ Strasbourg, France 3:00am

Reply #485148 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

Why wasn't Garlepp selected?

Reply #485150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They couldn't afford to insure his contract.

Reply #485151 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think we're on the same page regarding the foot speed of our bigs Mick. I'm not sold on Jawai personally, so could perhaps have replaced him with Walker for that extra mobile 4 should Motum struggle.

Disagree with u about Andersen tho. I think he should start at centre for his offence, with Bairstow at PF providing the defensive presence. If Bairstows opponent is too quick then we will have to go to Motum. I'd be more inclined to pair Baynes with Motum than Bairstow, so we still have some shooting from the bigs at all times.

Reply #485156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should of brought at least 15-16 players to europe at least. don't the boomers have at least 10 warm up games prior to the start of the WC? if there's already a style or system being used then wouldn't actual game time provide the necessary criteria to select players on form and fit for the team? i'm happy enough with the selections but it would also be beneficial for the guys who don't make the final 12 to compete at the next level

it's great that there is such avid debate amongst fans but wish there was a media presence at the camp. where we could get some feedback from coaches, experts etc we could actually quantify some of our arguments.

Good Luck Boomers!!

Reply #485158 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

Some of you should be embarrassed to call yourselves Boomers supporters! Give these guys a break and start supporting them positively not putting them down at every opportunity you get!! The Boomers coaching panel are more than experienced enough to select our best team with the talent available - let's get behind our team and give them every support they deserve!! Ohh and Mick Gibbo was a starting guard in Turkey & held his own! Has only improved since then! All he needs to do is control the ball & get it to our 'shooters' and he's done his job! #hatingonhaters!!

Reply #485163 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As paul mentioned somewhere, NZ take 14 guys on tour. Australia only takes 12.

Why not take 14 and just bring along Simmons and someone else.

And tell them, 'hey we are bringing you two in but you won't make the final WC team, but we want to give you some gametime here and there in the warm up games to keep the main 12 fresh".

Playing 9/10 games over 17 or so days with 12 guys plus travel, training etc will be difficult.

Lemanis' management of game time will be crucial.

Some players have had big seasons (Dellavedova and Baynes), some have had big summers with NBA teams (Goulding and Motum). Someone like Andersen isn't a spring chicken and Jawai isn't fully fit.

Hopefully for your guys sake he doesn't overdo the minutes.

Reply #485166 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Adding to that, the Boomers program has considerably more coin than the NZ program.

If anything, I would have thought it would be the other way round, with Aus taking 14 and NZ taking only 12.

Reply #485167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does BA have the $$$ to send 14 players over?

Reply #485168 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

In my opinion this kind of discussion, the back and forth, is all healthy and the sort of thing you want from an informed fan base. Very little hating from what I can see. I'm very much supportive of the boomers, really excited to see this team play, as I imagine we all are

I agree with the comment that it would have been good to have had some media at the camp to ask these kinds of questions. The frustration for me is amplified by the fact that we get to simultaneously see nba media do such a good job of sporting analysis. Obviously its unreasonable to expect the same here as nba is massive $$, bigger population etc etc

Reply #485174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God enough with Simmons, he needs to be in school, which is where he should be at his age!!. The team is picked by coaches who have a dam sight more experience than you lot all whinging about a 17 yr old boy. His time will come. Move on

Reply #485179 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

delly
ingles
newley
bairstow
baynes

that seems to me a very good defensive line up against wc competition.

a lot of length , strength , hustle and defensive nous in that group. if they can gel defensively with the right gameplan from lemanis then i see this group as keeping teams to low scores across the competition. anyone else agree or am i over-rating? will the rotations disrupt the power of that defensive 5?

Reply #485193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Exum/Gibson
Ingles/Goulding
Broekhoff/Newley
Bairstow/Anderson/Motum
Baynes/Jawai

Broekhoff over newley, better shooter, better rebounder, better basketball iq.

Anderson could possibly start at centre depending on the size of our opponents centre.

Reply #485195 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm with Beantown, Andersen to start at centre, provided he is at the level he usually is. This allows Lemanis to play with more mobile 4s in Bairstow and Motum as he tends to prefer. I would expect Andersen to play the majority of his time at 5. If this is really the case, the only controversial issue in selection becomes the selection of 3 centres. Reading between the lines, I wonder if there is a big question mark over Jawai. Or it's simply a case of 3 of our best players -- all who warrant selection -- happen to play the same position.

I expect something like this:

Andersen Baynes Jawai
Bairstow Motum
Newley Broekhoff
Ingles Goulding
Delly Exum/Gibson

The first unit has experience, strong enough defensively to press (Andersen needs to be at the 5 if we press), Bairstow becomes the low post presence, everyone else poses as a 3-point threat. The second unit is more dangerous from range, although the point is not so, with Jawai or Baynes being the inside threat. Exum coming in as a slashing point to create shots for others, while Delly will still often be relied upon to lead the second unit as well, so then we still can see a few Delly-Baynes alley-oops! ;-)

The management of Andersen, Baynes and Jawai is crucial. Let's not send them out of position, in a way that doesn't fir Lemanis' system, just so they get more minutes.

Reply #485202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people see newley starting at Sf? Hasn't he traditionally started at sg with Ingles at sf? Not a big deal really though. However, based on his recent Boomers form i wouldn't pick him to start.

Reply #485203 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Newley's recent form over the past season with Gran Canaria has been very good. He averaged 11.3ppg on 59% shooting from the field and 32.9% from 3PT land. He had some very good shooting nights from beyond the arc, but also some very average ones.

Reply #485206 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Defensively I think Ingles and Newley are interchangeable, but I think a number of people are listing Ingles at SG because he has better ball-handling skills than Newley does.

Good that Newley had a good season LC, but I'm afraid that 33% from 3 is abominable! Just on that stat right there I'm dropping him from my starting lineup!

For team balance I think Goulding has to start really, because Andersen (if he starts) would be the only other reliable perimeter threat. Delly and Ingles will make one here and there, but that's about it.

In the lead-up games, offensively I would love to see Goulding, Broekhoff and Motum spacing the floor and Delly or Exum running pick and pop with Andersen or pick and roll with Baynes.

Probably Delly with Baynes because they already have a nice connection and Baynes is a threat at the rim, whilst with Exum and Andersen it would be the opposite.

I think Exum would find some nice driving lanes with Andersen drawing the opposing centre out of the key and Motum has shown he is a very sneaky scorer when the focus is on someone else.

Reply #485212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In our squad Goulding, Broekhoff, Andersen and Dellavedova are reliable from the perimeter, and guys like Ingles, Newley and even Gibson at least have the ability to get hot. That's not too bad.

Reply #485213 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Good points again, Beantown. Our 2/3 wings are interchangeable. Perhaps Newley's slashing could pair well with a legitimately dangerous perimeter shooter in Broekhoff or Goulding.

I would like to see Goulding start. He is our key offensive weapon to help replace the firepower of Mills. We also could use his ability to create his own shot when there is a break down. His range is also deadly.

I hope for:

Ingles Broekhoff
Goulding Newley
Delly Exum Gibson

IMO, after a strong 2008 Olympics, Newley is the biggest disappointment in recent Boomers campaigns. Hopefully he is in form and Lemanis knows how to use him.

Reply #485216 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah I think we agree RJD. I definitely think it'll be preferable not to use Ingles and Newley too much at the same time because of their limited 3pt shooting.

I too want to see more of Newley's slashing game. He's the most athletic guy on the team bar maybe Exum and we haven't seen that asset utilised as much as I would like in past tournaments. Hopefully if he's out there with Delly, Broekhoff, Motum and Andersen we will be able to create some more lanes to attack the basket than we have in the past.

Reply #485217 | Report this post

420YET?  
Years ago

I'm pumped to see Nate battle Aaron for center minutes, these two go way back to junior ball, I hope to see Nate play like he's got a point to prove and demand more minutes. The four big rotation looks solid. I'd start Aaron and Cam with Dave as first big off the bench. Aaron PnR's with O rebounding, Cam looks like hes got stretch range and nice touch around the hoop. The skill sets looks like they compliment each other which hopefully puts pressure on the coaches to get the best combo's.

Reply #485223 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Love the squad but cannot agree with Baynes starting. At least Jawai and Andersen look aggressive on offense, whereas Baynes looked like a deer in headlights most of the time with the Spurs - too scared to take people on, easily blocked out on the boards, and too many easy misses. I don't see him as an offensive 1 on 1 threat.

And, no, I'm not a hater - I made a point of watching most Spurs games, and got behind Delly and Baynes every time.

Reply #485238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes is limited offensively and if fit Jawai is the better player but you can't compare NBA spot minutes vs heavy minutes on an international team.

In saying that I thought Baynes made some noticeable improvements offensively last time with the Boomers.

Reply #485242 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I was inclined to think the same about Baynes, until I checked his London Olympics stats: he scored 45 points in just 73 minutes! That was the highest points-per-minute on the team, apart from Mills. Of course, many of those would have been well assisted, including the many Delly to Baynes alley-oops. Although credit to him for playing well on the pick-and-roll.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/teams/AUS/2012

Baynes has a habit of surpassing my expectations of him.

Reply #485243 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah Baynes was one of our best players at the last Olympics. Definitely an important player for the Boomers. The only reason I like Andersen starting over him is for offensive balance in the starting lineup.

My mind could easily be changed once I see the Boomers in action too. But if Baynes starts I hope Motum starts alongside him to give a bit of an outside threat. I reckon teams would pack the paint too much with a Baynes/ Bairstow combo and Baynes/ Andersen would be too slow against many sides.

Reply #485244 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

One thing that sucks is our guys have to go out on twitter to find out where they can a particular Nike shoe to buy to play in and then you see the USA get given Samsung Tablets armful of apparel a couple pairs of Nike shoes (if sponsored personally by them)etc, etc, etc.
You can really see the difference between he have & have nots.

Reply #485253 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I had the same logic, although I doubted whether Motum would start. Perhaps it doesn't matter a great deal which individuals start because, if Lemanis does press a lot as reported, minutes will need to be shared more evenly, with the bench getting a lot of burn anyway. The combinations that work together within the system are a more important consideration.

Reply #485254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely bairstow starts at pf?

Will the warm up games be televised?

Reply #485257 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Delly/Gibson/Exum
Goulding/Newley/Broekhoff
Ingles/Broekhoff
Bairstow/Motum
Anderson/Baynes/Jawai

I would expect Baynes and Jawai to see similar minutes as I would for Gibson and Exum... but I would be inclined to have delly on the vast majority of the game. I think the team is pretty diverse and gives the coach a few options. Might have a hard time guarding mobile 4's however unless you make someone play out of position or something.

Reply #485258 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I loved watching the Delly to Baynes highlight package from the London Olympics but that was two years ago and our opponents at the World Cup will better prepared this time.

Is Exum to Bairstow/Motum too much to expect?

Reply #485264 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm calling it now. Spain to beat USA at the WC.

I think Spain will get them.

But not putting money on them as they are only paying $3.25 over here to win.

Reply #485268 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Gibson.....really?

D.Martin should be in that team,especially on the international stage where lock down defenders are worth their weight in gold...

Reply #485290 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Damo rides a thin line with his defensive pressure, the variables of international officiating could make it impossible for him to be as effective.

Gibson can handle immense pressure on the ball carrier & has a generally better handle.

Reply #485302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think i'm with you Macdub.. USA have a considerably weaker team than normal with no real dominant bigman in the lineup. having said that though, I think their perimeter play will be absolutely phenomenal and unguardable at times with KD, the splash bro etc. fun times ahead!

Reply #485304 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Damo could handle the whistle happy NBL refs early last season he can handle international ball!

Reply #485309 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

US team looks a little light on in the experience department, but I'm pretty sure Anthony Davis and Boogie Cousins qualify as 'dominant big men'!!!

Wall, George, Durant, Davis, Cousins looks like a pretty tough matchup. I suppose Spain could get em due to lack of preparation for intl competition though. I don't think many of those guys have played much intl ball.

Reply #485317 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Surely as a head coach during an international game....you look to your bench for an edge....or just looking for something/someone that might change-up/lock down....and there's A.Gibson???

Oh Dear!!!

Reply #485333 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well.. the point guard position is still a bit light especially when you take away Mills. I wouldn't expect Gibson to play any more then 5 or 10 minutes per game.. if that.

Having said that, he does have the ability to hit the 3 on his game.. and very well COULD prove to be fairly servicable for the boomers. He certainly was no slouch in game 2 of the NBL finals this year. Either way, its probably the best team we could have given the talent at hand, while it has its deficits hopefully we will play to our strengths. I don't think there is a team in the tournament that doesn't have some sort of weakness. I expect Australia to be in the mix this year...

I expect USA and Spain to head the pack, but we should be in the second tier mix for bronze with France, Argentina, Brazil, Lithuania, Greece etc.

Reply #485338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I suppose Cousins and Davis are solid big men. But dominant.. I beg to differ (for now anyway). Both are very athletic and skilled but they can be easily matched up against by most contenders, some even favourably IMO.

Their wings and guards on the other hand....

Reply #485345 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Durant can play power forward and will be too much for opponents imo

Reply #485351 | Report this post

420YET?  
Years ago

There's no way Team USA loose to Spain. Regardless of Spain's big men, any team with Durrant as your main weapon is tough to stop. The back court combo's of Steph/Klay Wall/Beal who already have chemistry and know each other game back to front will dominate. Who's Spains best back court combos? Ricky/Rudy and Calderon/Navarro? The US are on a different level, they'll smash em. But Gibson/Goulding beats everyone. lol

Reply #485363 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Spain was close to beating the USA last time, and the USA had a far better squad then than they do now.

Reply #485371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In 2010 the USA played great team D but offensively they only went as far as Durant took them, and he was simply amazing.

If he gets that hot again they will be tough to beat, but if not I think Spain's backcourt and bigs are superior and they have homecourt advantage.

Reply #485375 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes. Thats where I think Spain can really exploit the US bigs.

Their starting bigs will be Gasol and Ibaka. I cant wait to see these two play. You could argue both are the # 1 and 2 defensive bigs in the NBA. But can't wait to watch them complement each other offensively - Ibaka's power and athletic game with Gasol's fundamental and finesse game/ability to pass.

420YET?, yes I believe Navarro and Rubio can compete with the US guards. At the end of the day Navarro can fill it up just as good as any NBA guard (he is pretty damn consistent). And Rubio won't score but he will run the show and get great looks for his teammates.

You're right the US are on a different level. Doesn't mean they will win. They have firepower. But i can see Spain been a more efficient team with the consistent scorers they have (especially inside).

Reply #485402 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not just Rubio (who I think will come off the bench) and Navarro, they've got Llull, Rodriguez and Calderon, it will be the best international guard rotation at the tournament.

Reply #485413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely as a head coach during an international game....you look to your bench for an edge....or just looking for something/someone that might change-up/lock down....and there's A.Gibson???

Oh Dear!!! "

Agreed. We're very weak in the PG area. Hence why i think we should of just had two point guards in Delly and Exum then have Simmons play third string back up SF minutes for experience (yes i know, Too young, grown men, not ready bla bla).

People really see Anderson starting at centre? He's more of a PF to me. Too soft to play the 5 and would serve better as a sretch 4 with a Baynes or Jawai in the post.

Reply #485460 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I recall Andersen playing most of his time at the 5 in London. To confirm this, I checked the stats: our other centres, Baynes and Maric, played 126 minutes in total out of the 240 centre minutes. Andersen played 153 minutes, so, unless someone else (Nielsen?) was sometimes used at centre, Andersen must have played 114 out of his 153 minutes at centre.

I think Andersen lacks the mobility to be often used at the 4. I'm already concerned about his defense as it is. I expect he would struggle against stopping mobile 4s. It is also useful to spread the offense when your 5 is a very good perimeter shooter.

Reply #485463 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

*spread the defense, i mean

Reply #485464 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

London team in order of minutes played in London, with presumed replacements in brackets:

202 Ingles
178 Mills (Goulding)
172 Dellavedova
153 Andersen
128 Newley
121 Nielsen (Bairstow)
077 Worthington (Motum)
073 Baynes
053 Maric (Jawai)
029 Barlow (Broekhoff)
008 Gibson
006 Crawford (Exum)

Although I would expect Gibson and/or Exum to get significantly more minutes to compensate for the loss of Mills.

Reply #485465 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree rjd, Andersen is a centre who can play PF if the match-up is right with another less mobile player.

Neither Baynes nor Jawai are big minutes guys, more big impact players who can make things happen in bursts.

For me there's a bit to like about this team offensively, although perimeter speed is a concern, but the big question is whether they'll be able to turn defence into offence to generate enough easy baskets.

That's something they were rarely able to do under Brown and as a result they mostly struggled against good teams.

Reply #485472 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Andersen will go between 4 and 5 depending on who the Boomers are playing.

Some countries will go with a traditional 4 man. (i.e. Spain). Others will go with a more mobile, quicker PF i.e. they will play their SF at the PF position (e.g. USA with Durant, France with Batum)

Reply #485477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if the pre World Cup games will be live streamed?

Reply #485575 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Word is that only one of the warm up games is not being being broadcast via ESPN in Australia.

Livebasketball.tv may be broadcasting live online.

Reply #485578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I recall Andersen playing most of his time at the 5 in London. To confirm this, I checked the stats: our other centres, Baynes and Maric, played 126 minutes in total out of the 240 centre minutes. Andersen played 153 minutes, so, unless someone else (Nielsen?) was sometimes used at centre, Andersen must have played 114 out of his 153 minutes at centre.

I think Andersen lacks the mobility to be often used at the 4. I'm already concerned about his defense as it is. I expect he would struggle against stopping mobile 4s. It is also useful to spread the offense when your 5 is a very good perimeter shooter."

And we really struggled with inside defense and rebounding in London which is why i think Baynes and Jawai should play the majority of minutes at the 5 with Anderson/Bairstow/Motum alternating at the 4. Anderson just seems to soft for the 5 to me.

Reply #485598 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Interesting to read Lemanis' comments about Exum:

----
Exum will be a key component for the Boomers, playing either at shooting guard when he's alongside Dellavedova or running the point.
''We're still figuring that out, that’s part of the next period of time when we go to Europe and play these 10 games leading into the World Cup,'' Lemanis said.
''We’ll certainly trial that, whether it’s Dante starting at the two or coming off the bench.
''Basketball is finding out the best combination over the best 40 minutes, that’s the puzzle we’re tasked with now.''
----
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-chasing-medal-at-fiba-world-cup-without-ben-simmons-20140728-zxjxp.html

That certainly doesn't sound like the comments of a coach who thinks he might only get limited minutes.

Reply #485621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though they are out injured, it would be great to see Bogut and Mills in Spain to support the team. They are an integral part of the fabric of the program. Wonder what the chances are?

Reply #485643 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I can't wait to see how he goes, rjd. Really looking forward to watching he and Jawai, who both have serious x-factor, as does Goulding.

Reply #485660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"'We'll certainly trial that, whether it’s Dante starting at the two or coming off the bench.
''Basketball is finding out the best combination over the best 40 minutes, that’s the puzzle we’re tasked with now.''
----
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-chasing-medal-at-fiba-world-cup-without-ben-simmons-20140728-zxjxp.html

That certainly doesn't sound like the comments of a coach who thinks he might only get limited minutes.

Report this post"

People who think that Exum is going to play minimal minutes in a 11/12th man role are kidding themselves. I expect him to play 20-25 mins and be first off the bench if not starting.

Reply #485850 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754