interested
Years ago

is the jump ball being considered for comeback?

i have heard the jump ball may come back.

Anyone else heard the same?

Topic #35006 | Report this topic

Blah Blah Blah  
Years ago

The did it at the West Adelaide carnival was good to watch

Reply #485178 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Why would you replace the far more sensible and equitable possession arrow rule with the jump ball rule?

Reply #485182 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

heard KRudd was coming back as well..

about as much chance of the jump ball re-appearing ..

Reply #485183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to laugh at a tiny guard fighting a huge centre for the ball only to then see the ref throw it up to decide who gets it, really funny, until I saw a tiny kid with huge hops outjump the big lugg opposite him to win the ball! :]

Still, can't see it coming back though!

Reply #485184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched one u10 game at the West Adelaide carnival that had about 10 jump balls in the last minute. With the clock stopping the last minute took forever. Possesion arrow should definately stay in u10

Reply #485189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, at the West Adelaide carnival no one bothered to tell the kids they couldn't grab the ball after they tapped it and yes the team with all the big 2nd year won the ball every time against the 1st year team in the Champs division.
Keep the possession arrow. It evens up in the end.

Reply #485192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the jump ball!

Reply #485198 | Report this post

Bring back the jump ball! As a short ass with hops growing up i use to love beating the guys who thought they`d have an easy tap. Or being a guard on the outside n reading a dumb players tap. Its a skill that has been taken away by a silly arrow.

Reply #485220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that has played the game wants the jump ball back.
It meant the effort plays are actually rewarded, gives the umpire a bail out if they miss a call or are unsure of who knocked it out of bounds.
Who knows why they got rid of it in the first place.

Reply #485224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played the game and I'd hate to see the jump ball come back.

The above poster is plain wrong. The jump ball actually disadvantages effort if you are a smaller player. At least with the fairness of the possession arrow, these efforts are rewarded EVERY time, either with a possession or the turning of the arrow so you get the next one.

Under tha jump ball system, potentially you could lose out EVERY time you earned a jump ball.

Reply #485225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A jump ball is 50 50 the majority of the time. As even if the larger player wins the tap he will still most likely have a player/defender standing right next to him. That could potentially win possession.

Why have a jump ball to start the game then, just have it as the away team starts, because it's boring as, that's what the arrow is - boring.

Reply #485226 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

There is a real discussion happening about this at the World Champs. I think I heard the NBL was actually bringing it back ?

Reply #485228 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

hey wonderer , thats what i heard too.

Reply #485248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THe arrow keeps the game moving..

Reply #485250 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Bring it back. Always good for the fans.

Reply #485277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, clubs that put all 2nd years in Div 2 or 3 teams always win possession !!!

Reply #485288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add that to the zoning those teams do and ... well you can take a guess…

Lets just go back in time and play school basketball 2 halves..

Reply #485289 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

I love the jump ball but as a tall guy i would. Its an awesome skill to tap straight to your player.
Kids just started playing from last summer season for the mighty Eagles.
I say bring it back. I can see an argument in u10-u12 but after that may the better jumper win.

Reply #485310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hero dad again from forestville where they would love the jump as they recruit talls. You haven't been round long enough or understand the wider and bigger picture. The strategies including no zoning is to allow all players to develop along with the jump changing to possession arrow. At a senior level it is to keep the game moving to maximise court time and allow games to not flow into each other with scheduling across all levels. The bigger picture !!!!! Changing some things can create problems that are harder to manage than the payoff of the initial change. This is why people on hoops need to be better educated before stirring up hornets nest based on their world which is small and allow those with the bigger picture to do what is best overall. I hope this makes you think a little broader and outside the box...

Reply #485313 | Report this post

Green45  
Years ago

Jump Ball = first world problems

I suggest an entry on http://whitewhine.com/

Reply #485325 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Wow another brainy anonymous contributor.
I thought this was a grown up place to share opinions.
Or is it just a little boys club for you anonymous braniacs that know everything aboot everything. My opinion is i liked the jump when i played. I agree with it not bringbin junior grades. Forgive me for my opinion which is i would like to see it. I understand its gone but thought i could have my own opinion and share it.

Reply #485457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please Lord let it be so

Reply #486319 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754