Ballislife
Years ago

Adidas Nations 2014

Starts later this week on the 1st of August. Anyone know if Australia are sending a team this year?

Topic #35007 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

callum barker tweeted he is going, but that's all I have seen so far

Reply #485262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

William McDowell-White is going

Reply #485270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, we are sending a team, great! Any change BA can promote it?

Reply #485281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article with the roster is on the ausa hoops site

Reply #485283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who pays for this as BAs budget is gone. They cancelled camps and tours for un17 and 19 squads which I would have thought would be more of a priority then some exhibition tournament

Reply #485329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe Adidas?

Reply #485330 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Will White quit the National Program so I am guessing its not BA.

Reply #485331 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Found the team for Australia:

Australian Adidas Nations Team 2014

Deng Adel
Keanu Pinder
Deng Riak
Tad Dufelmeier
Callum Barker
Gabe Hadley
Tom Fullarton
Will McDowell-White
Tai Wynyard
Matt Freeman
Nikau McCollough

Reply #485332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

List appears one player short, they usually take 12?
Great to see some Kiwis get a chance for this experience, also looks a much older team than last year!

Reply #485337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to see how WMW goes. Has been going good in the Qsbl against open age competition.

Reply #485355 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hoping for Maker perhaps?

Reply #485379 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What's the selection criteria? Who selects?

Reply #485411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is coaching it ?

Reply #485423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randy Livingston..

Reply #485427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be good to see maker!

Reply #485455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool that Deng Adel is part of the team. Now if only Thon Maker would be a part of it.

Reply #485459 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thon Maker has suited up for USA in previous Adidas nations, not sure if he is in this years squad.

Reply #485470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I can pose a couple of questions about this tour, I would like to know it's purpose for the Aussie team? Is it for development, or exposure to US college scouts, is it to reward those who just missed out on worlds at junior level or is there another reason we select this team? Is it just to take a team that can win against college bound athletes, because that's what many of the US teams are made up of?

Deng Adel - already heaps of exposure in the US HS system, great for him but what is the purpose in picking him ahead of kids here who have not had the opportunities he has had?

Keanu Pinder - already gone to this event previously and got heaps of minutes, he is a very lucky boy, but once again already college bound, so what's the point?

Will McDowell-White - great for Will, but I think he will go to football, maybe I am wrong!

etc, etc..

The players going should be congratulated, but my issue is about how and why these players are selected ahead of others who have not had the same exposure or are not already committed to college?

Reply #485502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Thon Maker has suited up for USA in previous Adidas nations, not sure if he is in this years squad."

Yeah, i remember people went crazy. "Oh no, he's forsaken Australia to play for America noooooo!" etc. I don't think where the people play really means anything. It's just a showcase.

Still think it would be cool to see Adel/Maker together in action.

Reply #485597 | Report this post

Vesta 90  
Years ago

All Players that are part of U19/ U 17s squad such as McVeigh, Akintola, Wilson etc are out of selection for this squad due to worlds for the younger boys and BA have not allowed older boys to participate.

This could really effect the scholarship opportunities for the 19's boys as they won't get a chance to perform internationally again before they have to sign

Reply #485696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Tad D not in under 19s squad, not sure your info right.

Reply #485705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tad and Callum Barker are still in the U19 squad I think. The U17 obviously not available. Only the two CofE U19s not there. Probably due to BA funding limits more than anything.

Reply #485724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Vesta 90 is participation in under 19's at national level really that crucial to a player's college scholarship prospects? Some kids doing year 12 right now just want to focus on their studies and get the right score, surely that is more important?

If their basketball is good enough they will get offers, but if they don't qualify academically it is all just a waist of time for them regardless.

Timing of international basketball events isn't great for those in year 12 right now!

Reply #485771 | Report this post

Vesta 90  
Years ago

Sorry I meant u/19s in COE are not allowed participation, I think there are 2 of them there. Tad should be on scholarship, not sure what BA are thinking there.

Completely agree, kids that have gone through year 12 and have to juggle international commitments would surely struggle big time. But yes, the bigger colleges definitely want to see aussie players play internationally before they risk a scholarship

Reply #485781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should it be due to BA funding how can BA justify funding such a tournament, I think you will find the invites come from the organisers and the kids pay themselves so would be a choice to go or not. And any kid who's at AIS is a shoe in for a decent college offer, believe me these tournaments are more for those who haven't had exposure or not received the offers they want.

Reply #485786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very much doubt any of these athletes paid a cent to go to Nations. Adidas not short of a quid.

Reply #485788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids definitely do not pay to go to Adidas nations. The AIS grants players mid-major offers almost guaranteed but for those kids wanting to go to bigger college exposure is needed.
Exum had two brilliant worlds and basically had his pick of colleges

Reply #485790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#786 I would love to get my kid into Adidas Nations. Can you tell me who to contact so I can organise his invitation???

Reply #485794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's fine if Adidas pay agree they can afford it provided they get so ething from it. But sure hope BA are not funding this when they can't fund the un17 and 19 tours and camps which frankly are far more benefit and significant than a tournament for select few for college offers Can anyone confirm exactly who funds this tour?????

Reply #485802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be invited, generally by the head coach

Reply #485814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adidas Cover everything except for the air fares which are covered by the athletes. BA has no input except for endorsing it I imagine.

Reply #485834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kid went to Adidas Nations last year, everything funded, we did not pay one cent, great experience!

Reply #485840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likewise. 100% agree.

Reply #485859 | Report this post

Ballislife  
Years ago

Tad Duflemire is at an American college. Starts in August. I believe he will not be playing in the U/19s. These kids are definitely here to get college exposure. If it's not an important tournament why do players such as Jonah Bolder (college team), Thon Maker (USA team) and many other talented NBA prospects attend??

Reply #485985 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

Team AP won the first game pretty easily 81-52. Solid efforts all round it seems.

Good games from Dufelmeier and WMW. Will keeps these efforts up the talk of going to AFL might be put on the backburner

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?a=1&id=57527

Reply #486001 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Exposure for what if they already have signed with colleges. Doesn't make sense. Its obviously just a tournament and if they have an aussie playing for team usa its obviously not official as in rep your country. I can understand those who are looking to gain a college spot but not those who already have one.

Reply #486004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team list.

Deng Adel
Deng Riak
Callum Barker
Keanu Pinder
Gabe Hadley
William Mcdowell-White
Tom Fullarton
Tad Dufelmeier
Matthew Freeman
Nikau McCullough
Jackson Stent

The squad was put together by the team at LivOn Basketball, led by Head Coach Randy Livingston.

Assistant coaches - Warren Rosen and Travis Russell

Reply #486006 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't randy livingston part of one of those promo groups that gets kids into college? But for a fee

Reply #486009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

err you attend because you wanna ball... simple

it's also a develop camp

^ yes it probably is a "group" that selects these kids and make some profit out of it. so what?

Reply #486010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*development

Reply #486011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Livingston is involved in getting a Tassie team back in the NBL too apparently.

Reply #486012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is true it is different from previous years when BA were involved, maybe BA have handed it over to private enterprise?

If that is the case it is all for show, not development!

Reply #486035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Handed it over? It's as if the BA have a monopoly on everything basketball.. They govern the game not individuals or private enterprises. Anyone can register a team given they have the funds and have gone through all the correct avenues.

I'm sure the people organising it may have a monetary agenda, but to say it's only for show is naive. The kids participating would have both exposure and development as their primary objectives. There's also training and coaches feedback which in my eyes is developmental.

Also

"The Basketball Experience provides six days of expert training, drills, and games along with education and insight on off-court elements that are crucial to the success of a basketball career, such as nutrition, education, media training and community outreach."

http://www.adidasnations.com/history/

Reply #486046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Btw - Apparently Thon Maker is wearing sneakers with American flags on them while playing. Doesn't mean anything though.

Reply #486073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm wearing a LA hat right now. Not sure what it means?

Reply #486093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm wearing a LA hat right now. Not sure what it means?"

I was waiting for more 'Oooooooh nooooooo! He's forsaken Australia!' comments.

Reply #486108 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I was more thinking you have a poor choice in sports teams that you support.

Reply #486116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha touché.. i support GSW they've sucked for years!

the LA Dodgers are alright :p

Reply #486118 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

rather support GSW than that old racist guys team or the Lakers

Reply #486120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

true. each to your own, I guess..

latest box score:

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/mobile/?id=57553

Will White lighting it up on the scoreboard.

Reply #486121 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

shame he fell ut with the brass, would have made the 17's a fair bit stronger.

Randy is a big fan apparently

Reply #486131 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

Loss for the AP team today 106-83.

Was close at ht but Canada had to win by a large margin to make the play-off's and no Adel for the Anzac.

Another good game by WMW, 18/11/3. Shot 14/19 his last 2 games and his stock undoubtedly would be on the rise. wonder if he'll take the Us high-school route.

Reply #486165 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Will White will follow his brother to whatever college Daryl ends up at.

Reply #486166 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maker had a big double-double too in another game.

Reply #486168 | Report this post

Eponymous  
Years ago

3 aussies rated in the top 30 players at adidasnations by Ronnie flores at Student sports, which is a pretty well regarded site.

Keanu Pinder at 29, Thon Maker who didnt miss a shot or ft in todays final,was at #4

And one spot behind in 5th was ...Will Mcdowell-White ...yes 5th, the only '98 in the top 20. Hopefully this shows where his future lies, not in that other game.

http://www.studentsports.com/basketball/2014/08/04/adidas-nations-top-25-rankings/

Reply #486444 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maker named MVP min the final

Reply #486459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, Asia Pacific, really? Couldn't come up with something better for an ANZAC team than that!

Reply #486472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Africa, Europe and Central America are so much more imaginative. Some people have to try real hard to find something to knock.

Reply #486478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754