Moneyballer
Years ago

Next Year vs Last Years 36ers squad

Do you think next seasons team is an upgrade or downgrade over last seasons team.

Topic #35008 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Hard to say till the last couple of spots are snapped up. They have probably gained some ground with the addition of Crawford and Wilson but gone massively down if DJ doesnt come back. Last impoert spot could determine which side is better of the 2 years.

Reply #485231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't know until we find out who the other import is. Need a good big man to replace DJ

Reply #485232 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Any news on dj didn't suit for bearcats on Saturday hope not injured with him team clear upgraded

Reply #485234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In: Wilson*, Crawford

Out: Ervin*, Johnson, Cadee, Carter (possibly)

So far big downgrade on last season, the second import needs to be at the very least a dominant big man and even then the last spot needs to be someone pretty good before breaking even.

Reply #485235 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

My initial reaction is a fair downgrade. Not a Wilson fan, and the loss of DJ is a big hole but as mentioned we will have to wait for that 2nd import to really know.

Reply #485237 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ervin to Wilson is a downgrade. (Arguably?)
Cadee to Crawford is a breakeven short term, downgrade long term.
Losing Johnson is a huge downgrade. Import to replace.
Carter/Frye were handy players, but fairly replaceable.
So, this new import would have to be a league MVP caliber of player for us to be anywhere near a breakeven from last season.

Reply #485240 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah its going to be tough to match last years team if DJ goes, because that forces us to use our second import on a big man. As we all know, it's going to be virtually impossible to get an import big as good as DJ on NBL money, so we're almost certainly a far worse team just on that basis.

What really compounds this is the loss of both Ervin AND Cadee, because that takes away the number one reason for our success last year: speed!

So not feeling as good about the upcoming season as I was about the last one, but I'll do my bit and buy my season tickets still.

Reply #485246 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Since DJ's replacement is not yet known, my considerations will exclude that fact that he is gone.

This team is an upgrade from last year.

Wilson is better than Ervin because Wilson plays with control and is a much better floor general. His scoring may not be as much as Ervin but the Sixers have scoring power for him to create for.

Crawford may not be the knock down shooter he once was but that does not mean he can be left alone, and you can't just be there in time for the catch because he can elevate for the shot. Teams will have to respect Crawford which gives even more space for the likes of Wilson and Petrie to operate.

Teys will be another year more experienced so we can expect more from him. I honestly think he will bypass Creek in value to the team sooner than later.

Reply #485249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spent too much last year, paying the price this year.

Reply #485251 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Montreal would be an upgrade on Frye.

Reply #485252 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Marcus, I don't think Wilson is an upgrade over Ervin. Sure, he might play with more control, but we also need a PG who can actually beat his man most of the time so he can create for others.

Who else on this current Sixers roster is going to create his own offence consistently? Basically no-one.

Ervin was far from perfect last year, but he could make things happen with his speed and his outside shot has definitely improved. It might be that he and Joey didn't get along, so I'm not saying we should've gone for Ervin. I do wish Joey had found a more dynamic, scoring PG though.

If we want to contend for the title like we did last year, we have to have at least one player who can break down the Wildcats defence and I just don't see where we're going to get one unless DJ comes back.

A starting lineup of Wilson, Gibson, Teys, Petrie and import C is slow and has average shooting and ability to score at the rim. Unless that import C is a gun, the defence will be okay, but that's about it.

Reply #485259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team is still a championship contender providing they get a decent big man. What's Nevill up to? Could grab him and a import at the sg/sf spot. Seems like everyone is forgetting that Creek and Teys should continue to improve. It took DJ a couple years with us to really break out and IMO this is Creek's year.

Reply #485260 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure I read on another thread that we don't have enough points left to sign both an import and a 9-10 point Aussie, so it'd have to be Nevill or a 2nd import, not both.

I'm hoping for a break out year from Creek too, as I think we are going to need it if we want to contend again.

I could see Teys improving a little just from being given more looks in the offence and perhaps learning a couple more tricks, but I don't think it'll be a massive difference from last season to this.

Reply #485261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on the last two spots. Need a good import to replace dj and a solid aussie

Reply #485265 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Too many intangibles at the moment to tell whether or not this team will be better than last seasons.

Will all come down to team chemistry, coaching and improvement from guys like Creek & Teys.

With that said, I dont see us finishing any higher than 4th....some teams have improved a lot more than we have.

Reply #485271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who has improved more?

Reply #485273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

melbourne, new zealand have improved dramatically, cairns has also improved as they no longer have wilson.

Reply #485276 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The Wilson-Ervin change will be a big testing point. I think Ervin was the sort of person who would give you better performances, but only erratically. Wilson gives you greater consistency.

He's also less likely to knee someone in the crotch, which may be a positive or negative depending on your outlook ;)

Reply #485278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would add Sydney into the mix of team that will potentially show improvement this year over last year.

Reply #485280 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Think New Zealand and Townsville will be better than last year.
For Adelaide it comes down to the development of Creek and how good the 2nd import is as I think Wilson will be better than last year in Cairns as Joeys system suits him.

Reply #485282 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I will be watching with interest to see whether Creek develops faster with Wilson now distributing the ball

Reply #485284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't score enough points with this group, we need a stud import.

Reply #485285 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Wollongong may have improved. If they get Ervin back and a half-decent second import, that could make them dangerous.

In Adelaide, comes down to DJ's replacement. I think Wilson might suit them better but I don't think we saw guys like Petrie and Gibson scoring as much as they could, mostly because they didn't need to. If they see more of the ball, they can take on some of the scoring load.

DJ wasn't cheap, so you'd think that there would be options to replace him out there.

Reply #485286 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

DJ also hasn't picked up another contract yet.

Reply #485294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 points from and Aussie is hard to make up.

Reply #485295 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

At the moment I think New Zealand, Townsville, Melbourne, Sydney & Wollongong have all improved and we know Perth will be around the mark again - especially as they can afford the marquee player.

Reply #485300 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Adelaide: jury out awaiting final signings
Cairns: see Adelaide
Melb: if they get Dennis, looking good
NZ: improved with Jackson back
Perth: if they get Ennis level player hard to beat
Sydney: awaiting imports
Townsville: improved
Wollongong: stronger Aussie content look improved.

Reply #485301 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Sixers, and even more so Perth, were well in front of the rest of the league last season. The loss of DJ and the improvement of other teams, narrows the divide.

I'm mostly hoping that DJ, in the event he doesn't get a European contract, doesn't return to Melbourne or any other NBL team for that matter.

Reply #485307 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Without Rhys Martin I'm not sure it's a stronger Aussie content in the Gong. Certainly it's the best frontcourt they've had since 2010 and maybe before that.

Reply #485308 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I've just remember that Melbourne apparently has Daniel Kickert (I can't recall if his signing has been confirmed?). If so Melbourne perhaps isn't the biggest local threat. Would Sydney and NZ still be a chance to pinch to pinch DJ from the Sixers?

Just shooting at shadows.

Reply #485312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin has led teams to how many titles ???? You won't be successful in this league with a score first point guard, I believe Gibo was terribly under utilised and Wilson will help bring him into the game. Personally I also think losing DJ will be a blessing, I don't like big guys who spend so much time outside the three point line! Bring in a quality big man to bang and crash inside and I believe Adelaide will be better

Reply #485339 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm going to be on tenterhooks waiting out this 3-4 wk delay in the Wildcats import signing. In Nick Marvin's contract work we trust...

With DJ now confirmed in Europe, his replacement is going to be where the 36ers administration earns their money. Must get a solid replacement.

He kept putting in blinders against Perth...

Reply #485343 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ are way better with Jackson back and add Corey Webster into the starting 5 and they look even better again. The only question marks are the bench mob at the mo.

Reply #485344 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Should be a fairly even comp, I think the teams that needed to improve (TSV, CNS, WOL, NZ) have and ADL and PER should be a little closer to the pack after losing their studs. Not sure what MEL and SYD have done though.

Reply #485391 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754