Anonymous
Years ago

All Time Boomers Stats

I have been trying to find any total All time Boomers stats, but can't find any. I'm interested in finding out who the most capped player is, most points, rebounds, assists, etc and seeing top 10's each category and so on. I would like to see how the current team of players compares to our best ever.

Be good to see all FIBA games which includes Olympics, world champs, Oceania series, practice games against other nations, etc.

I am amazed to think that all this information for a national program isn't on the internet. If anyone has any suggestions on how to find this info it would be appreciated.

Topic #35009 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

My bet is that you'd need to compile it from multiple sources. For a start, here is a site that has the stats from Olympics:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/

Reply #485263 | Report this post

travismreid  
Years ago

I don't like your chances mate. Even BA haven't kept any stats like the ones you're looking for.

When it comes to players, they can only tell you who has played at Olympics or World Championships. They haven't kept full records on all other games, which I find absolutely amazing.

Reply #485269 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

http://archive.fiba.com/ should sort you out.

Reply #485299 | Report this post

travismreid  
Years ago

Fiba Archive is a great resource, but it will only give info from Olympics, World Champs & Fiba Zone events.

It also wont list who the most capped player is, or most points, rebounds, assists etc.

Finding all the info from friendlies etc is another ball game entirely.

Reply #485314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now there's a project for someone ;)

Reply #485318 | Report this post

travismreid  
Years ago

I'm already on it.....it's just a whole lot bloody harder than it should be!

Reply #485320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for those who helped with the FIBA links.

Disappointing that it is missing all the friendly game info, but here is what I got for top scorers for the Boomers. (note - translating the data may have got some errors)

(1) Andrew Gaze - 72 games - 1,438 points
(2) Shane Heal - 49 games - 728 points
(3) Phil Smyth - 70 games - 647 points
(4) Eddie Palubinskas - 23 games - 581 points
(5) Ian Davies - 28 games - 539 points
(6) Mark Bradtke - 51 games - 497 points
(7) Patty Mills - 32 games - 477 points
(8) Larry Stengstock - 60 games - 408 points
(9) Andrew Vlahov - 56 games - 407 points
(10) Brad Newley - 41 games - 390 points
(11) Matt Neilson - 41 games - 375 points
(12) Ray Borner - 55 games - 362 points
(13) David Andersen - 40 games - 329 points
(14) Andrew Bogut - 24 games - 312 points
(15) Joe Ingles - 31 games - 312 points

I was surprised the Newley was in the top 10 and a chance to pass Vlahov and Stengstock in the list. I also think Ingles might make top 10 after the championships.

I also wander how many games Gaze actually played when counting the non-tournament games.

Reply #485389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's the highest score by an individual?

Reply #485394 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here's some from a Kiwi perspective, keeping in mind I have no idea where to find Oceania data from before 2003, so the oldies from both countries get stiffed!

1 Kirk Penney - 50 games - 781 points
2 Phill Jones - 42 games - 557 points
3 Pero Cameron - 45 games - 478 points
4 Mark Dickel - 35 games - 264 points
5 Sean Marks - 15 games - 186 points

Reply #485397 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mika Vukona and Tom Abercrombie will both probably move past Sean Marks at this year's WC.

Reply #485398 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Didn't realize Palubinskas had such a high scoring average. Mills should move up the list before he is done.

Reply #485404 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Interesting to see that Bogut might never manage to get in the top 10. By the end of this tournament, Newley, Andersen and Ingles will possibly all climb top 10. With probably only one tournament left in him, Bogut might only just surpass 400 points. By that stage, Ingles would surely be able to rise further up the top 10, and Bogut might, at best, scrape into 10th position. For Australia's most successful NBA player, who started with the Boomers at age 19, 10th position would be an underwhelming position on the Boomers all-time scoring list in major tournaments.

Reply #485953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"For Australia's most successful NBA player"

I know what you mean, but I'll take the three rings thanks!

Reply #485954 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

No Luc Longley in top 15 well spotted Paul.

Reply #485964 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I was going to say he is our best ever NBA player. You know I meant *individually* most successful.

Also a reminder that Luc Longley is a major national team disappointment, yet is now somehow an assistant coach.

Anstey could've been top 10 in points, although his peak was around the time when Australia failed to qualify. Then he missed 2004 (forget why) and 2006 (injury). That whole generation that would've played 2002 misses out big there. Obviously all part of evil Phil Smyth's conspiracy to hold onto his top 3 status. Might also explain why Longley has been hired as a coach -- he has no Boomers records to jealously protect. ;-)

Reply #485977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! Yeah it was a so many of the group involved in the 95 silver, 97 gold and qualifying for those two never reached their peak internationally.

Firstly the understandable quest for a medal at 2000 kept a number of them out, then not qualifying for 2002 took away the chance to step into the retirement breach, but it was injury that did the most damage.

Mackinnon missed 2004, 2008 and then had to retire early. Anstey missed 2004 and 2006, Dwight we all know about and sadly Ben Pepper was overlooked in 2006 when he was playing great basketball. Can't remember if he was injured or not.

Stephen Black was another one, though in the next group, whose career was wrecked by injury.

The upside of all that was guys like Andersen, Newley, Worthington, Mills, Barlow, Baynes, Dellavedova and Gibson all came into the team at a young age and grew into the core of the team.

Reply #485991 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Aaron Trahair was outstanding as a junior and I recall every NBL club chasing him as an 18yo.
He just couldn't get to the next level.

Reply #485992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754