Thunder Jam
Years ago

Taipans Imports

I believe Mr Fearne is back in Cairns. Any word on who their two imports might be?

Topic #35014 | Report this topic

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Aaron Fearne in a letter to the Taipans members.

So now we turn our attention to our two vacant import spots.

My priority will be ensuring we get a lot more athletic than we were last year, and we have to find a couple of guys who can also really defend.

At this stage we'll be looking for a long, athletic three-man who can move his feet and play with some length and quickness.

We’ll also be looking at a point guard, who also needs to be really solid on the defensive end.

It will take a lot of research to get our imports right. There isn’t a set timeline. It could happen before we head over to the US in July to recruit, or it might be a month after I get back from Vegas. If you find someone you really like a decision may need to come sooner rather than later.

There’s no exact science with it though, so we’ll keep watching video, talking to our contacts and gathering as much information as possible.

We’ve been pretty good with our imports recently though, so hopefully we can find those final pieces to get us back into the playoffs again.

I hope everyone’s looking having a relaxing NBL off-season. A huge thanks to those who’ve already signed up as members, and we can’t wait to get back on-court for some pre-season games and of course on 17 October for our first regular season home game.

Reply #485567 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

We really need an identity this year. Slow, halfcourt type of game or run and gun.

Since we became more athletic a little while back, it seems Fearne has confused the players as to what he expects from them

Reply #485568 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Not long now:)

Stay tuned.

Reply #485615 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I hope....... the wait is killing me.......... at least we haven't heard any Dunigan or Homicide rumours yet this year....

Reply #485616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumours that a former Taipan import could be returning

Reply #485629 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He needs to get imports right or he could be out of job after last years effort....

Reply #485633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dorsey!

Reply #485662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jayson Wells!

Reply #485667 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ubaka!

Reply #485670 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That's interesting. A certain Cairns Regional Council member mentioned the name Ron Dorsey to me three months ago

Reply #485671 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wasn't Shane Edwards playing over there in this years Summer League with someone?

Reply #485675 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha SS i doubt the CRC have any idea who the imports are - esp 3 months ago!

They can't even get the m2 right on my rates notice!

Wookiee Edwards played with the Cavs summer league and was on their extended roster for some of last years season.

Reply #485677 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

saying that though, Ron is one of the fittest humans i know. Potentially he's still in his prime and could be an asset in the right team. Lock down defender, solid 3% and get get above the rim.

Reply #485679 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

According to twitter they've signed Torrey Craig from South Carolina Upstate.

Reply #485686 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If they sign him and Dorsey they will have a great import duo imo, 2 athletic, long allround players,

its what i wanted the 36ers to do, move Gibbo to PG and sign 2 athletic/veratile swingman, similar to the mould the Dragons/Tigers used to have in there title seasons with Tucker/Thomas, Darden/Smith as the imports.

Reply #485689 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Craig is a forward, who is going to run the point for Cairns?

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/7/30/5950603/torrey-craig-langston-hall-travis-wallace-sign-pro-contracts

Reply #485691 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

They have Corey Maynard, Shaun Bruce and talk of Gliddon doing some PG duties, so i spose it will be between those 3 guys.

I reckon it could work if the Maynard is a good rookie, which he sounds like and can play atleast around 20 mins per game.

Reply #485694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can those guys deal with a Damian Martin, Cedric Jackson or Adam Gibson?

There's some tough guards in this league for those young guys to deal with.

Reply #485697 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

That was me above sorry.

Reply #485698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone thinks Torrey Craig is heading to the Taipans.

http://www.onlinechester.com/content/craig-going-down-under

Reply #485701 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Thats a good question Mystro, but if Dorsey is also on the radar it looks to be the direction they are going in.

Also if they plan to play Maynard half decent minutes and give Cam Gliddon a shot at PG which sounds as if they want to, is there room for a import pg?

I dont mind them trying it to be honest, i like the idea of clubs signing 2 athletic swingmen as the imports, you can usually get pretty good bang for your buck, they usually are fairly entertaining to watch also, and if you get it right they help you win also, i would have been happy for the 36ers to do this with Gibbo at pg.

Reply #485702 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Dorsey was only a rumour and I would think the 2nd import will be a PG as per Fearne's comments higher up the page

Reply #485704 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Is 'Mr peace, love and unity' himself trying to discredit me? Seriously, considering the venue they play at and their current financial position, do you not think they'd be in frequent contact with local govt?

And you'd think they would've had a recruitment plan in place long before that, surely. Any professional sporting recruitment team would... actually maybe not the Taipans. You're right there.

Be it the first stages of contract talks or just some kind of wishlist, I'm not sure. That's all I was told.

I should be laughing at you for being ignorant and belittling the club's recruiting efforts. Fearne casts a wide net and always has plenty of options available.

Reply #485707 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Why are we even laughing at each other? Jesus that's the kind of thing fifth graders do.

Reply #485710 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Skip Mills is another ex-Taipan, he has eked out a pretty good career in Israel since leaving Cairns. He's more of a combo guard but that probably fits well with Gliddon and Maynard, with Criag possibly playing some SG too?

Reply #485716 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Can someone remind me of the situation with Gliddon and wanting to play point guard? Did he say he expects and demands to be starting PG?

Reply #485719 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

They're totally re-signing Ubaka :P

Reply #485720 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

They need a top line pg or they will get schooled by the Jacksons and Martins of this league.

Reply #485721 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

http://www.onlinechester.com/content/craig-going-down-under

Perhaps Dorsey is still a possibility as the full article at the above link says that Craig is ticketed to play shooting guard and point guard for the Taipans. "They want me to use my length to defend and to come in and score," Craig said. However, it then goes on to say that he has been given some areas he needs to work on by (? NBA) scouts, including his ball-handling ability !

Reply #485766 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Maybe old man Larry Abney is returning?

Reply #485838 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

wooooooow SS did you get out of the wrong side of the bed mate? Relax, It was a joke......
I've heard the Ron rumors as well, but I've heard them for the past 2 seasons since he left.

The 2 wings idea makes sense to me. I think Glid, Bruce, Maynard can handle the majority of the primary ball work. Anything extra is a bonus. I'm with Jonno in thinking i don't think there is a lot of room for another PG.

Will be an interesting couple of weeks to see what happens.

Reply #485861 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

The_Champ33 - how old is Abney now? he'd be on the sunny side of about 57?

Mind you even at 57 he'd probably run rings about some in the NBL.

Reply #485862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He only ran rings around himself in his last stint!

Reply #485874 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

ahhhh yeah i forgot about that - retired mid season with a leg injury.

Alright, take him off the list.

Dewey Michaels? He still active?

Reply #485878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arizona Reid?

Reply #485881 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha oh what could of been!

I think there is still a petition kicking around from 2011 to bring him back!

Reply #485884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arizond Reid is a GUN. Would of won league MVP by a mile.

Reply #485886 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Reid is actually a real baller. I streamed a fair few of his games in the PBA and man was he impressive

Reply #485923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Torrey is the first import. 6'6" SF avge around 15pts at 40% and 3pt 32% and 7 rbds.

Reply #486027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754