Coach
Years ago

Coaching Tips

Hey guys

Hoping some posters with good basketball brains can help me out

I have a group of U16 boys that i coach just in a domestic junior competition-so nothing "serious"

This season i was given two new players who havent played basketball since their first year of U12s...which is an issue because U12s is where most players start picking up the niceties of basketball.

As it is, they had their first game yesterday and while there is potential, both stepped a bit, turned over passes, got the ball stolen off them a lot and didnt really know what to do in offence.

I told them i would take them for a training session on Monday just the two of them. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on drills i could run to help them strengthen their basic skills?

Topic #35025 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It sounds like ball handling is their issue? Can they dribble both hands? Can they dribble without looking at the floor?

A few things:
* An ability to pivot is important. If they get trapped they need to be able to pivot to pass out.
* Passing is important. Were they passing into space to allow for a cutting player? passing into a contest? passing over opposition players? or were their passes intercepted because they telegraphed their intention? Were the players they were passing do ready?
* If they are lost in offence, that sounds like a positional understanding thing. I assume they know the basic positions on the court? Do they understand the concept of spacing in offence?

Shooting is one skill that you can never allow to rest. You haven't mentioned that, but good technique is the foundation.

Reply #485652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the above poster on teaching to pivot to protect the ball.

How to stop. Stop on 2 feet, with balance.

Retreat dribble. Kids just want to keep dribbling forward and forget that you can retreat out of trouble.

Left hand. Left hand push pass. Crossover to left hand.

Reply #485673 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Playing in athletic stance (knees bent, back straight) and pretty much everything Jack and anon have mentioned are great starting points.

Also, emphasize teaching 'skills' rather than 'drills'.

Reply #485676 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jack has made some good points. I get players to catch the ball with their back to the basket then pivot and get into the triple threat position. I see players pivot and face but hold the ball in front of their stomach so the defense can strip it from them. They should be in a strong stance with the ball on their right hip(for right handers). They should then be taught to rip high and low and also to jab step.
With players travelling, I get them to take 3 to 4 dribbles out from the side line then pick up the ball, take two steps,stop and pivot on their rear foot and make a pass back to the next player in the line who then does the same. Good luck with your coaching.

Reply #485688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to adjust.. Growing pains.... the more they play the better they will get. You have to put them in more game like situations in training if possible. Doing what i call static drills will improve them as far as their foundations. But executing them against others will prove more beneficial in the short period of time you have them.

Reply #485779 | Report this post

Ace  
Years ago

I've found the best thing to do for kids starting out is just to know where to be on the court.

Where to be on offence and defence is half the battle. I find the easy position is on the blind slide of the key. They just step in to get a rebound or take a shot from a back door or hand off.

Defensively have then play wing in half court or at the back end of a press in full court.

Defence is where they can add the best to a team initially, as all they have to do is stay in front of their player.

We work on feet movement and thinking about passing lanes.

The other key is to work on shot mechanics, and only shooting close to the basket. Have them shoot using only one hand close to the basket. I don't let my boys take shoots outside the key until they can hit them inside consistently first. This is important especially when warming up for a game. Most shots in junior basketball comes from lay ups and close to the basket. Once they have the confidence in making shots in close they can move further away.

Too many kids start in basketball wanting to chuck up 3's and don't learn how to shoot properly. They end up with a shot technique that will never be accurate.

Lastly we work on getting some RUN into their legs. The more they run sprints & change of directions, the more effective they will be in a game, especially in defence. Simple suicides and full court lay up drills do the best job. After a couple of weeks they will find they can keep pace with most players.

Reply #485904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754