Billy Hoyle
Years ago

Best of the rest 2015 Aussie college prospects

I have heard enough about Ben Simmons and Jonah Bolden and other high profile Aussie kids coming through. Aussie basketball has a habit of latching on to 8-10 players and promoting them as the "best" when there are literally 100 other players out there just as good if not better......

So who are the best of the REST? Who are the diamonds in the rough?

This should stretch most of you.....The goal of this thread is NOT TO MENTION THE NAMES OF ANY PLAYERS CURRENTLY IN THE U17 U19 AUSSIE SQUADS.....

GOOD LUCK

Topic #35030 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Players in those squads would generally be the best, hence why they are in those squads.

Reply #485811 | Report this post

billy hoyle  
Years ago

Read the title before you type....geez best of the kids not in the squads genius

Reply #485815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be some good players at the State Champs this weekend. Cranney, Hunter, Hayward, Cherry...

Reply #485827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there was a way to get the list of NPP kids selected from each state I reckon that would be a great start, not all have had the opportunity to be in the Aus junior squads but there would be some very good up an comers on that list worth discussing.

Boys and girls!

Reply #485845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although ^these may be US college years 2016-17 or 18, so maybe not quite what the OP is after?

Reply #485847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately their are only a certain number of spots on national teams, just like their is a certain number on state teams, the percentage of players who are good athletes to spots available is never going to be able to allow all a go at a national side.
In the end it's those who standout at the right time, fit the roles the coaches are looking for and the coaches idea of what makes a good player for them. It's disheartening when some who think they should make it don't, but that's life, they should t take it personally as next time round another coach may prefer them to the ones taken previously. So to try to compile a list of standout players other than those on worlds teams is very much a personal opinion, and often one parents seem to form purely because they ARE parents.
As for NITP kids, many are chosen on perceived potential, often height is a big factor in the hopes co ordination and ability can be taught, for the smaller players it's often speed and the ability to handle a ball, not always under pressure as this too is looked at as the potential to improve. Unfortunately some kids get to a point and that's it, no matter how much work goes in they really don't get much better how many times do you see kids at un14s absolute standouts never to be heard of again past top age un16, then you have the others who have been overlooked continue to work at their game and next thing hit top age 18s and suddenly they are on the radar. So again it's subject to opinion.

Reply #485849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their are loads of kids going to college, just because they are not on a national squad doesn't mean they can't get a spot. But it's the standard of the college they get offered which keeps them out of the headlines

Reply #485851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Literally anyone can go to College now. There was a time when a player came back from college you knew you`d have your hand full trying to guard them.

These days more and more come back and provide nothing more then something to laugh and scoff at. Internet, Social media, Youtube etc have all aided in getting players over there.

Some fantastic yarns and BS stories told by players, coaches and parents to get their kids a gig. The Juco schools aren`t going to care so much as they are not making a big investment in these kids as they are paying their own way.

I think if you offered most SEABL or NBL sides $10,000 per year they would probably allow you to train with them for a season as well.

Reply #485857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://pickandroll.com.au/rising-stars-in-us-high-school-aussies-dominate-aau-basketball/

Reply #485858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point ^^anon makes that Junior Colleges don't actually offer to pay full scholarships to many of the Aussies that end up there because they just are not up to the Div1 or Div 2 standard. But there are plenty of decent players with higher levels of talent in those Div 2 or mid major to lower level Div 1 colleges where our boys and girls can and will be offered fantastic opportunities.

They will also present plenty back to the institution they represent as well, good luck to them, agree not that much is spoken about these although they are listed on some sights.

Reply #485883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about other states, but in Victoria the best kids due for college next year not at AIS or overseas will probably be playing Youth League Big V Championships!

What is the equivalent in other states? Get the list of those kids and you will have a good start.

Reply #485885 | Report this post

billy hoyle  
Years ago

I knew this would be a difficult task for my fellow aussie hoop bloggers.....All these comments and only 1 person has some names of NSW Country kids which by the way nsw programs are on fire winning back to back nationals....congrats to those coaches and programs.
Sad sad sad we got no knowledge of what's out there in the talent pool besides what BA feeds us....

Reply #485902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The moment people throw up some names they will just get torn down Billy.

The post above is the best bet. Check out the Youth finals over the next few weeks and the main guys in those squads are legit.

Thats in VIC, as for other states I have no idea.

Reply #485908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the way the question was put forward loses people's interest as I doubt that anyone currently thinks they know a prospect better than Ben Simmons or Jonah Bolden.

If you are asking for players who don't get as much attention or players who have improved a lot I would look at Deng Deng who played JC at Lee College and now if off to Baylor for 2 years. He is a real chance to land an NBL spot. I think Emmanuel Malou if he gets into the right system can be a great player. And Julian Lipinski is someone who never played nationals but always improved although he is going to a D2 school so probably won't get as much coverage.

Btw - I don't think any of them are better than Simmons or Bolden, but definitely under the radar in Aus.

Reply #485925 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree with some others in that I don't agree that there are any out there that are "just as good or better" But the following kids are all good enough to go to College, some Div 1, some Div 2.

Remo Simankeviscius (Melb Tigers) Youth League (bottom Age 20).

IMO he was good enough to be in the Vic Metro U18 side 2 years ago. Combo Guard with a great shot. Goes under the radar cause his age group and that below him at the Tigers is so strong. I reckon he's good enough to go to Div 1.

Max Cody at McKinnon (top age 18). Again Max probably missed the U18 Vic Metro side this year cause it was a strong year group. Some would argue he should have been in the team & I couldn't really disagree.

Both should be able to snag at least a Div 2 Scholarship. However for basketball, Max is a little on the short side, so he'll have to be great in a lot of other areas.

Nick Fassos (SA Metro U18) - Great competitor and good all rounder. Should definitely get a Div 2 Scholarship, quite possibly a Div 1.

Rob Colton (ACT U18). Has all the tools - size, shot. Just needs to get fitter & be more consistent and understand he has to work harder on the court going both ways. Div 1 prospect.

Austin Cummings (WA Metro U18) - Another one that has all the tools. Needs to get a lot fitter and more competitive. Just needs to be more consistent and understand he has to work harder when his on the court.

Andrej Donlagic (WA Metro U18) - Has real potential, good size and physique and a reasonable shot. If he had come through the NSW or VIC systems I'm sure he would be a great player.

Jake Heath (Blackburn U18). Late bloomer but has always been a knock down 3 shooter. Again, he would be good enough to get a Div 2 Scholarship.

Matthew Kenyon (NSWC U18 bottom age) - great player has all the tools for a combo guard. Definite Div 1 material.

Sam Stafford (SA U18) Definite Div 1 material. Has probably had to play the wrong position as do most of the taller kids. But great competitor.

Tim Molloy-Leigh (U18 top age) - Definitely Div 1 material. Unfortunately had his fair share of injuries.

Joel Smith (Youth League, bottom age 20, Vic Metro U18 two years ago) - Super athlete. Should be able to get a Div 1 Scholarship.

Vladimir Miladinovic (NSW Metro U18) don't know what it is with this kid. He could have been in the U17 Australian side. Like a lot of kids lacks confidence/self belief but has a great shot. Needs to just have a real red hot go all the time.

Jack Bines (Melb Tigers U18 Vic Metro U18)- Another late bloomer. But I could definitely see him at a Div 1 College. Great size and a good shot. Only just starting to get serious about his basketball.

Mitch McCarthy (Frankston - Melb Tigers U18) - unbelievable athlete. Has the X Factor. However, probably suffers from not having played much in a structured program. Pick up games or scrimmages he is fantastic. Gets lost with structure. But good enough to go to College.

Reply #486057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai Woodfall - D. Valley
Anthony Karabatsos - D. Valley
Seb Lemonato - Blackburn
Michael Dagostino - Blackburn
David Tomat - Knox
DJ Horstman - Knox

All could be added to that list for D2 schools as all can make a contribution

Reply #486086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not if any of those have already started a uni course they won't be going to college

Reply #486237 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Oi, Billy, you stole my name !

Reply #486240 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hi Billy,
I think BA and the State Associations are well aware of who's out there, but I don't think there are any Exum's, Simmons, Bolden's, Deng Adel's waiting to be uncovered.

If there were then the State Associations would have them in their NITP/NICC programs and, dare I say, in their State teams.

However, I do know some Associations and coaches actively discourage their players from attending NITP. I'm not sure what their motivation for that would be. For some, they are scared their players will be poached.

You only have to look at who goes to the Aus Development & Selection Camps. Who goes to the 3x3 tournaments, who goes to the Nike/NBA Basketball without Borders camps in Asia, Adidas Nations in Italy or USA. It's not always the same players.

Also, the State and/or BA pathway is not the only pathway to get a College Scholarship.

I'll give you some names, no doubt there will be more:

Dexter Kernich-Drew (NCAA Div 1 - Washington State)
Declan Soukup (NCAA Div 1 - Bryant)
Bosko Kostur (NCAA Div 1 - Bryant)
Jock Landale (NCAA Div 1 - St Mary's)

Declan & Bosko never made a State under-age Basketball team. But did make an Aus U19 Development/Selection Camp, go figure!! What does that say about the State Coaches/Selectors of the time?? There's also the Andrew Bogut getting cut from a Sate team and even a Dandenong Rangers junior team story.

I don't think Dexter or Jock made any State U16 or U18 teams. Jock only made the Vic U20 team this year for the first time.

What does this say - to a certain degree it re-inforces that politics in Basketball (& Sport) is alive and well, that you have to play for the right club, know the right people, but also CONFORM to what your State Association & Coaches want. But, equally, it says that some players develop much later than others.

For me this is the clincher, State Associations seem to push kids that are talent ID'd early and seem to stick with them and certainly don't seem to put as much effort into identifying the late bloomer/s. Also, kids get pigeon holed and written off too early. It is a pity, but as the boys above show you can get a Div 1 Scholarship. Put together some you tube clips and send out 300 odd emails to the NCAA Colleges. MARKET YOURSELF!

"If you don't ask, then you won't get"

Having said that, all of the above were certainly very very good VC players. The best in their respective teams. Should they have been in State Teams, probably, but circumstances & personal opinions of coaches/selectors prevented them. That's life. Move on, and they have.

Well done boys, no doubt you've embarrassed some people.

Reply #486320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And some just don't want to go to college, they prefer to stay home and go to uni

Reply #486331 | Report this post

evaluator  
Years ago

Remo Simakevicius is a very under-rated prospect. Nearly 6'6", long, active on the boards, not a bad athlete and a very efficient scorer (the kid understands shot selection) which shows in his season percentages of 50% from the field and 44% from 3 while averaging 15 and 5 per game.

Reply #486579 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

stunned that no one has mentioned Matthew McCarthy, easily the best big in youth league, already Div 1 offers. outside chance to force his way into U19 Aus team. cannot believe someone could name 5 big V players with more college potential then him.

Reply #488322 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mitch McCarthy currently be destroyed by Melbourne Tigers. Being played out of position and getting few minutes. Will fall by wayside unless he goes somewhere else but the kid could be legit Div 1.
Jack Bines - finished growing is going to struggle big time
Joel Smith - Saw him two years ago and was wowed. Injuries have curtailed his development. If he was developed in the PG spot he would have been a future Boomer. Played out of position in state process has really hurt him.
Forget about the blackburn kids 6ft 5in post players are not in demand,
Declan Soukup has been cut by Bryant just a low Div 2 player
Remo is not 6ft 6in more like 6ft 3in not a great skill set and struggles against good defence will continue to put reasonable numbers against poor teams. I would not be recommending him to a US college

Reply #488323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some big kids in VC VC res this year, got to be 6'8" or 6'9" i reckon. They should be college pruspects

Reply #488328 | Report this post

Lake G will beat em'll

Reply #488331 | Report this post

^ woops, wrong thread

Reply #488332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stunned that no one has mentioned Matthew McCarthy, easily the best big in youth league, already Div 1 offers. outside chance to force his way into U19 Aus team. cannot believe someone could name 5 big V players with more college potential then him.

Well if he's not at the un19 camp now he's not on the radar

Reply #488351 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i think you will find that Matt mcarthy is up at the AIS working out currently

Reply #488402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can someone be at the AIS "working out" if they don't have a scholarship?

Reply #488409 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

AIS invite players up to Canberra from time to time to run their eye over them. they get to take a closer look and the players get a feel for the AIS

Reply #488414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently un19s camp is on for selection for Oceania, so makes no sense him being their unless he's already in the squad!

Their are a few ex AIS guys home from college up their, and agree if they are not on scholarship why are they their, but then AIS run it however the wind blows on the day it seems

Reply #488417 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well McCarthy has been up there for two weeks. Came back for YL Grand final and went back. Also I know of a couple of U18 kids also up there who are being looked at. There are only spending 5 days only

Reply #488420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Regardless of who missed state / NITP, club teams etc. if players work hard most get an opportunity, some kids just happen to be in an age group stacked with very good players -Vic Met 18 boys this year ( 4 in the current Oz 17s I think plus Perry who was injured ) so not always selectors/ coaches can pick every kid. Some have made teams and not gone through, also some knock back AIS invites.

Instead of carrying on how the establishment or coaches screw kids over, how about letting every kid know that there are options and you can achieve through working at your game and not through false motivation or spite.

Any kid who gets to play at the level they want and get coached and enjoy themselves is a success.

Reply #488424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well maybe it's not the camp just a quick look see at who us around that they may have missed, good luck to them all

Reply #488439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch mccarthy is a great prospect, 6'5 and a 6'11 wingspan. he also has a huge vertical leap, I've seen him throw down some nice jams. Yes he is being held back by Melbourne tigers and doesn't get anywhere near as much minutes as he should, but there's not many other high level programs out there for him. Can definitely play division one if he committed to basketball. I've heard he is also a very complete football player, under the close eye of the afl.

Reply #489819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that, Mr and Mrs McCarthy

Reply #489836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah mate what makes you say thet

Reply #489847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #534869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What chance will the players making Aus squads but due to politics or personal opinion of coaches still having good college offers have any of these names been mentioned in above posts

Reply #534882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you saying politics even at the very top

Reply #534890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

?

Reply #535060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754