Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne United how many members so far?

According to their Facebook page, some fans are saying they have 8,000 members so far.

I find this very hard to believe (would love it to be true though)

Anyone have any credible information on the members numbers they have so far?

Topic #35043 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

They have started going with a set-up where groups (schools, basketball associations etc) bulk buy memberships on behalf of their own members, so if a couple of big organisations have got on board that number is definitely possible.

Reply #486113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, if the 8,000 members figure is correct, what happens when they play at MCA (7,500 capacity) and SNAHC (capacity 3,500) ??

Reply #486114 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They won't all be full-season members.

Reply #486115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My cat is a member, sits on my lap at games so she doesn't take up an extra seat!

Reply #486141 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Can you be a member without having seats?

Reply #486145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they don't have 8,000 members then.

Didn't think so.

Reply #486148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country members?

Reply #486150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Members and season ticket holders are two different things. Does United have their venue confirmed yet?

Reply #486152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, go here:

http://www.melbourneutd.com.au

Reply #486160 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Nonetheless I hope all of Melbourne move on from the Tigers and get behind them.

Wouldn't it be a great story if they won it all int heir first year?

Reply #486163 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I see 'poor comprehension anon' is back from last year! A member doesn't have to hold a full-season membership, they can have 3-game, 7-game or however many other game memberships.

I don't know how many Melbourne have at the moment, but the model they have of creating partnerships with orgs who bulk buy memberships means it is highly possible they could achieve a very large number this season by NBL standards.

I'm sure the club will make announcements on their numbers at some point.

Reply #486172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that was part of the deal...whatever member info Melbourne United has, Dodo has. It's a win-win for them. As Melbourne's only team, they can have relationships with junior clubs who wouldn't have associated with the Tigers.

Reply #486173 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Hawks have a community membership too. $55 for the year, gets you 15% off tickets, free preseason games and %10 off merch.

Reply #486290 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

United management seem like they are being proactive in increasing membership base at least . May not be 8000 season ticket holders but 8000 "members" is a great place to start and there's obviously some interest in the club drawn on those numbers.

The whole name change and mascot dealings were a ill shonky but they seem to have some good things going with the team they are putting together, membership interest and venues .

Reply #486294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL can't survive with one-team towns in our largest cities, even Perth one day will need a rivalry team. United was the pathway they chose and now we are seeing their plan. To destroy any chance of a decent rivalry! It may look like roses are blooming, but the thorns will eventually take their toll.

Reply #486347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754