paul
Years ago

New Zealand Tall Blacks WC lead-up

I thought I may as well just create one thread for the 13-odd games they are playing.

The TBs beat Cameroon 75-66 yesterday on their first day in China, leading by around 20 at 3/4 time before taking the foot off the pedal, but they did have 20+ turnovers once again.

Kirk Penney had 14, Corey Webster 13 and both BJ Anthony and Rob Loe 10. Casey Frank played his first game of the tour.

They play the Ivory Coast tonight, who were one point off winning bronze at the Afrobasket and qualifying for Spain 2014, so should be a tougher test.

Topic #35046 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

The TallBlack youngsters are improving, Tai Webster & Isaac Fotu putting in decent performances.

Corey Webster will be huge off the bench in Spain, can come in and create something out of nothing or get open for a 3 and keep the scoreboard ticking over while Penney rests up or can play with Penney at the 1 or the 2 with Penney able to play some SF.

Turnovers still a big issue, wish Cedric Jackson was in the Tall Blacks.

Reply #486117 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Have the tall blacks named their final 12?

Reply #486122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, but the squad has been trimmed to 14.

Reply #486128 | Report this post

NBomb  
Years ago

Beat Ivory Coast tonight, 79-55.

Kirk Penney 26 points, Corey Webster 13, Tom Abercrombie 11 and Tai Webster 10.

Mika Vukona had 10 rebounds, Casey Frank 7 rebounds

Reply #486129 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The bigger names starting to come to the fore. Suggests they might be starting to settle on rotations, offensive priorities etc. Shame they don't have a centre!

Reply #486136 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Why doesn't Steven Adams play? They may not make the Olympics.

Reply #486138 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Curtley, I wouldn't expect them too.

Will have to beat Aus in the 2015 Oceania qualifiers who will probably be even better than what they are now and thats saying something.

They could go through the olympic qualifying route but given the emergence of some really good basketball nations this is going to be harder than what it was in 2012 (and boy was it a mammoth task).

Im looking towards 2020. Sucks Penney will probably be past it. But we should hopefully have a really solid starting group of TWebster, Fotu, Loe and Adams.

Reply #486142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it could be an easier task than 2012 if you have a decent team there.

Reply #486146 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

Did okc not let adams play? Also is the pledge injured?

Reply #486179 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

to keep a international team to 55 points is great
Penney getting it done as expected
this world cup will be tough

even with the good buildup we have had so far

Reply #486270 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Any word now how Pledgers recovery is going?? Could really use him!

As far as expectations for the WC.. what does everyone think is realistic? I think getting out of the group will be good.. top 8 would be HUGE.. though not impossible

Reply #486308 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Pledger and Adams they are a top 8 quality team, without them getting to the top 16 would be a very good effort, but it's certainly not beyond them if the three-ball is dropping, especially for the front court guys.

Reply #486309 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Tall blacks have smashed the Chinese BL champs by around 20...

In other news the TB's first opponent in Group C at the World Champs (Turkey) has gone down to minnows Belgium..

Reply #486327 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Great Win from the Tall Blacks

shows how strong NZBL & ANBL talent and a great coach can be , Vukona & Abercrombie were rested i believe.
Fotu strong on the boards

Pledge who?

Reply #486365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did pledger do something to piss you off dream? lol

Dont get to excited, they played a chinese club team with no imports and missing there national team players

Reply #486376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think their national team players played.

Reply #486385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not entirely sure! I know Yi Jianlian played for them this past season and he didnt play

Reply #486386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that's true.

Reply #486393 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I can't say I expect the Tall Black's to do much at the Worlds this year. They have Turkey, Dominican Republic, USA, Ukraine and Finland in their group.

It goes without saying USA is a guaranteed loss, I expect Turkey will be very strong also.

Ukraine aren't exactly the European champions but I think any European team would be tough, it is a basketball-crazy region of the world and I would expect that the Europeans will be a tough ask as European teams generally are.

That leaves only Dominican republic and Finland as any real chance of beating.. So I guess New Zealand has some chance to make it out of the group stage, but if that happens I would be on it being in 4th position and crossing over with a formidable opponent against which they shouldn't survive.

Reply #486406 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

a win without Abercrombie & Vukona & softy Pledger is a good win

Tigers outfit with there imports would deal to the Wildcats no problem

Reply #486407 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Turkey just lost to Belgium the other day and Paul George is out so NZ's taking their group ;)

Reply #486412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tigers outfit with there imports would deal to the Wildcats no problem"

If by "deal" you mean lose by 30 then you are spot on.

Reply #486418 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if the refs are Chinese and the game was being played in China, then the Chinese may have a shot.

Reply #486437 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

"I can't say I expect the Tall Black's to do much at the Worlds this year. They have Turkey, Dominican Republic, USA, Ukraine and Finland in their group.

It goes without saying USA is a guaranteed loss, I expect Turkey will be very strong also.

Ukraine aren't exactly the European champions but I think any European team would be tough, it is a basketball-crazy region of the world and I would expect that the Europeans will be a tough ask as European teams generally are.

That leaves only Dominican republic and Finland as any real chance of beating.. So I guess New Zealand has some chance to make it out of the group stage, but if that happens I would be on it being in 4th position and crossing over with a formidable opponent against which they shouldn't survive. "

Turkey is looking very weak.. none of their NBA players are playing.. They are viewing this WC as a development opportunity for their younger guys.

I think NZ is a realistic chance to beat anyone in their group bar USA

Reply #486470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Drew Gooden is playing for Finland since his father is Finnish! If thats true he significantly bolsters their squad

Reply #486504 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nah more worried about Kopenen from Finland (assuming he is playing).

He will have a field day against our PGs.

Its really not as hard as a pool as initially thought. But will still be tough.

But as mentioned previously, we stand a good chance of pulling off an upset against someone like Turkey on the basis that its a team that can win the game by the 3 ball - Webster and Penney in particular. Of course it can swing the other way as well (as vs Korea when we shot 3/23 from 3).

Reply #486507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson will be playing for Finland soon too since he married a finish chick

Reply #486509 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The TBs defeated the Dongguan Leopards 79-54 in China overnight (that's Goorj's team).

Kirk Penney was rested but Tom Abercrombie returned and had 23 points, Corey Webster scored 11 and Nick Horvath got his first run of the tour and added 8.

They've now got games against Ivory Coast and Cameroon before heading to Europe for some much tougher opposition.

Reply #486899 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A WUN IS A WUN...

Reply #486902 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tom Abercrombie>Paul George ;)

Reply #486905 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is right now!

Reply #486907 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Tall Blacks finished of the Asian leg of their tour with two more wins.

NZ 85 d Cameroon 83
Penney 25, Abercrombie 15, Webster 13

NZ 97 d Ivory Coast 63
Penney 27, Webster 20, Anthony 14, Abercrombie 12
Horvath had 10boards and Vukona 8

Considering they were very much spreading minutes that was a pretty impressive tour, with their best players finding good form without too big a work load.

They now head to Europe to play Lithuania, Greece, Slovenia and Serbia (twice). Will be a good test for some of their smoke and mirrors D to cover their lack of height.

Reply #487285 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I noticed Paul you had to leave early from Friday nights function at the cultural centre???

Reply #487290 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sick family member to look after. Good night though, Greg Champion was hilarious.

Reply #487293 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Fair enough, it was a good night.I hadnt seen Greg Champion before but he was very funny.Even my wife enjoyed it as she is not a huge fan of footy functions after we attended ANZAC day at Tooradin and had to park in the horse paddock.....

Reply #487301 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ went down to Slovenia 80-74 in the opener for their European preparations. No one played more than 21 minutes after the stomach bug went through the team this week so a pretty good effort.

Corey Webster had 23 points, Kirk Penney 17 and Goran Dragic 16 for the Slovs. The TBs play Lithuania tonight.

Reply #488545 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ lost to Serbia 83-79 overnight, another loss but another very competitive performance.

Corey Webster had all his 18p in the first half as the TBs led 45-42 and had chances to put their noses in front late but couldn't do it.

Penney had 12, Vukona 12 & 8, while Frank (9 boards) and Bartlett 13 points both performed well. Vucinic went with the Frank/Anthony/Penney/Bartlett/C Webster line-up to good effect.

Reply #489293 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Webster is balling.
He said the reffing was atrcious. Something along the lines of the refs would never let their home team lose. Sounds about right

Reply #489294 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

good warm up for Spain having to play through some home cooking from the refs. Good to see Casey Frank pulling in some boards after Horvath was released.

Reply #489297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ finished their WC build-up with a 102-96 win over Serbia despite playing without Corey Webster (ankle sprain), with his brother stepping up with 21 points to cover.

Kirk Penney had 29 on 5/7 triples and six assists, while Mika Vukona had 22 and seven boards. They finish their build-up with a 10-6 record, but will be pleased to get a Euro scalp after four close losses.

Vucinic sure sounds pleased to have won in his home country!

Reply #489613 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

massive scalp for this Tall Blacks team!
great preparation and they are starting to find some form before Spain and nice to see the younger Webster step up in the absence of his brother.

Reply #489615 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

watched some video and some big buckets by NZ to keep their noses in front.
in no particular order.
-the Tai Webster step back 3 "boom"
-the Casey Frank baseline fadeaway
-the Mika Vukona 3 to beat the shot clock

Vucinic ran with the Tai Webster/Kirk Penney/Tom Abercrombie/Mika Vukona/Casey Frank lineup down the stretch.

Reply #489729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754