Anonymous
Years ago

Marquee players for this season

How many teams are taking advantage of this great inniative?

We know that the New Zealand Breakers have used it to retain Tom Abercrombie and Melbourne United have used it to lure Daniel Kickert.

Any other teams using it this season?

Topic #35050 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings aren't, that's for sure. Cheapest ownership group in the league by far. Won't even spend up to the salary cap. And spend next to nothing on the front office, marketing, promotion, you name it.

Reply #486231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kickert to United confirmed?

Reply #486232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to Boti, Kickert is a done deal.

Would have loved to have seen the Kings use it on their second import.

They desperately need to increase their crowd numbers

Reply #486233 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think NZ used it for Jackson, but of course it potentially opens up more cash for a guy like Abercrombie too.

Reply #486235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't read all the details about the rule.

Can teams use it just before the playoff games cut off date (eg 8 games remaining) to bring in a fringe nba player at 30-60k per month but only for 2 months outside the points and salary cap?

Reply #486248 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Marquee players regardless of what they're paid are still part of the points cap.

Reply #486250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ used it on Jackson, not Abercrombie.

I didn't know Kirkert was a done deal, but Boti is generally accurate.

The community owned teams - Cairns, Townsville and Wollongong (for now) will probably not sign marquee. Adelaide have also said they're building this year's team on budget (although if they did use the rule, they'd no doubt sign Ingles).

Sydney are apparently trying to retain Sam Young, but if he didn't command marquee money last season, they can probably sign him inside the cap again this season as well.

Perth are the team most likely to make a splash. They have the financial backing and the fan-base to sign then take advantage of a big star. I'd look for them to pull in the big fish again this year.

Reply #486259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Perth are going to sign someone from the 2nd round of the NBA draft again, looking at a straight SF swap for Ennis. This might be a little tenuous but on Nick Marvin's twitter he recently started following Lamar Patterson and Deandre Daniels (both late 2nd round draftees) so could be one of those two.

Reply #486266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If Sydney can snare Sam Young again and Perth can score another Stud, we are looking at a pretty decent season of NBL Basketball.

Melbournes roster has gotten much better with Dennis & Barlow, Perth will be strong as ever, Adelaide have retained most of their talent, Sydney have added Cadee, the Hawks have Ervin & Ballinger, the Crocs retained Conklin & scored Gladness, New Zealand got Jackson & Cairns young roster still has imports to add.

Reply #486272 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

none of these guys are marquee players...theyre regular nbl calibre guys.

marquee player rule has already just turned into a soft cap ceiling and nothing more.

Reply #486275 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

toronto are trying to stash deandre Daniels in Europe for a year so he would be on perths radar

Reply #486277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Young won't be coming back he's already signed to play in Italy next season.

Despite missing the first 1/3 of the season not sure if true but heard he was on $400k with the Kings.

Reply #486289 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I consider Cedric Jackson worthy of Marquee player money.

Reply #486291 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Shame no one could pick up Rotnei on the marquee rule. Anyone have any idea how much he went for in Europe ? Stoked to see Jackson back in the NBL , that in my mind is exactly what the Marquee rule is all about.

Would really like to see some players in the mould of Leon Trimmingham lured to the NBL . pure entertainment !!

Reply #486292 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing Sam Young back!

Reply #486295 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I personally think Adelaides roster has nose-dived this season.. I will stay open minded but I am not expecting much of them this season

Reply #486299 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Jackson certainly what the marquee rule is about, maybe it will allow the new-look Hawks to bring Rotnei back next season? Looking forward to seeing who Sydney and Perth bring in.

But I'll say it again, to get guys above the level of what the NBL gets you need to spend seven figures in most cases, and that isn't going t happen. This rule is mostly about keeping players who would have left or attracting guys back who left for greener pastures.

Reply #486311 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Could we be on a budget this year to get Jingles next year?

Reply #486321 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why would the 6ers use it on ingles? No NBL team is paying $1,000,000 to any player lol

Reply #486325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Exactly. Ingles is out of the price range for now. Newley was more realistic but signed.

Adelaide are on a budget partly because a player restructured a deal last season, backloading, to make things work. Now that extra is being paid this season.

Reply #486345 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

when you name drop Jingles into the NBL
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yes his ceiling is beyond NBL but last few seasons hes hasnt been productive enough for his euroleague teams

he gone be 30 and all the nba hopes & dreams will still be there

Jackson is by far the only proven player that deserved a marquee contract this season

Jingles is a better all round player then Ennis yet Ennis is in the NBA now

Reply #486363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - still doesnt explain what they are doing with DJ's money given that would have been factored in last year when this unknown player restructured their deal?

Reply #486428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Newley is on well over $400K.

Reply #486429 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would have thought the spirit of the marquee player rule would be "is someone who wouldn't have normally gone to a game, gone to a game especially to see this guy play, on the road".

Not sure if Cedric Jackson or Tom Abercrombie fit that bill...

Patty Mills got bums on seats when he was here. So did Johnny Flynn (even though Jackson is a much better player). Joe Ingles is that kind of guy. So is Brad Newley. No one is going to watch Daniel Kickert play that wouldn't already be going to the game, is all I'm saying.

I would have preferred to just see a soft cap, properly policed, with revenue sharing for the teams who don't go above the ceiling.

Reply #486448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A player took 60,000 less last season on the promise that it would be made up this season

So let's say the player was due 100,000

Last season he accepted 40,000.

This season he is due the 100,000 plus the 60,000 from last season

So that is where 120,000 has vanished between this season and last

Reply #486451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick - Mills and Flynn didn't put many bums on seats sadly. If you look at the numbers neither did Sam Young and James Ennis (although could make case Ennis helped maintain crowds).

Those players who might significantly increase crowds in Australia are mostly NBA stars on massive pay packets. Even Bogut didn't fill Hisense when he played for the Boomers.

Unless you get your marketing right, there is no point spending big money on players.

If Patty Mills, a pretty well known player here and a good character, can't fill the Cage in three of five games, it's going to be a struggle whoever you get if you don't promote it right.

Reply #486458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis is better than ingles

Reply #486461 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Who is the guy getting paid less last season for a bigger pay check this season?

This would make their tax lopsided on the high side.

Also the Sixers need an average of 5,500 attendance for them to afford a Marquee.

This should be a loud call to arms for fans.

Reply #486498 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Not sure if Cedric Jackson or Tom Abercrombie fit that bill..."

Fair game re: Abercrombie...but you must be kidding if you don't think Jackson fit the bill. I can tell you this..he puts bums on seats in NZ Bigtime! And thats all the Breakers can do. He is IMO the perfect marquee for NZ. Doesn't matter whether he can put bums on seats away from home..the Breakers can't control away crowds. They can only control their own marketing, crowd attendance and hype and Ced certainly helps that in a big way.

Reply #486515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754