Anonymous
Years ago

Adidas Nations 2014

With Adidas Nations 2014 finishing, the Asia Pacific (Aus and NZ) team was a little underwhelming in terms of results but there were a few good signs in terms of players.

I know this event put Steven Adams on the map a few years ago, but I was wondering how many college coaches take serious note of the performances of prospects there? Because based on how William McDowell-White went I would say he would be getting a lot of offers.

For a 6-4 PG he put up 13.3ppg, 8.3rpg and 3.5apg and shot the ball at 77% from the field and 50% for 3 and had a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. I know there was talk about him not making the U17 world cup team (or even squad) but those stats are ridiculously efficient and good. And he outplayed Tad Dulfelmeier who is 2 years older than him and many think starting PG of the U19 team.

At the moment I think Hawaii and Portland universities are interested in William as well as his brother, but I wonder if any larger colleges will make an offer? And also would he accept a college that didn't offer his brother a scholarship? Of if a college would do what Memphis has done with Keelon Lawson and offer a scholarship to both just to get Will?

Also shows another player snubbing national championships who has real talent and misses the Australia system because they only pick players who go to nationals. The whole nationals process needs an overhaul.

As for the rest of the team, Keanu Pinder (who is going to JUCO and Nebraska) also put up good numbers (14.5/7.3) and Matt Freeman from NZ played solid (11.8/5.0). Deng Adel was injured in the second game.

Topic #35068 | Report this topic

Alpha  
Years ago

"Also shows another player snubbing national championships who has real talent and misses the Australia system because they only pick players who go to nationals. The whole nationals process needs an overhaul."

I believe there was a lot of discussion on this topic here and I think Will pulled out from the program so blaming the system is a bit far fetched.

But I do agree with you that he is a genuine talent with a very bright future and rightly so the question is whether he will make any decision that does not include his brother. Will was offered a scholarship at the CoE but declined since his brother was not invited.

Reply #486585 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

I read the whites pulled out of the Qld rep teams as they were told to withdraw from various extra-curricular activities, that's what cost them the U17 spot.

On the adidas nations he was also one of the younger players there and with Randy Livingston coaching he may have a chat to Alma mater lsu and continue that pipeline.He's in Louisiana atm btw

I saw an interview with him and his brother done 1 month ago and what I took from it was they will be back in the Qld rep teams and they realise they may have to go there separate ways.

In saying that though Darryl is a very good player in his own right, not many 6ft guards in Australia who can throw it down. So it's not as if a college would be getting a spud if they did take both

Reply #486598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont go far if he intends on taking his brother everywhere with him...

Reply #486605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thread should be renamed Will McDowell-White at Adidas Nations 2014.

Reply #486606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His efforts would have been hard to miss.

I've been trying to find any decent write up involving Will in regards to his adidas nations performance

Reply #486611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is like a Ben Simmons Dante excimer thread, obviously someone's a very big fan lol

Reply #486613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did basketball Australia even cover the Adidas Nations tournament?

Reply #486624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^nope........probably don't even know who's there and that it's on, main focus will be worlds for boomers and un17 men then un19 selections for worlds next year. They probably don't even care

Reply #486633 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#TeamPnR have now uploaded a good review of the Aussies in action at adidas Nations Global.

Maker, Mcdowell-White impress at 2014 adidas Nations Global

A number of Australia's top high school prospects were on show last weekend at the adidas Nations Global event in Long Beach, California. Thon Maker was a member of the Championship winning squad, winning MVP honors, while William Mcdowell-White and Keanu Pinder were also standouts

Reply #486699 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754