Train
Years ago

Rumour : Cats close to signing DeAndre Daniels

Looks promising and looks to be a great signing if this goes through.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/24656925/another-nba-prospect-in-wildcats-grasp/

Topic #35078 | Report this topic

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

http://vimeo.com/prospects1

seems pretty close

Reply #486757 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Hey Roger, what lead you to that Vimeo account if you don't mind me asking?

Reply #486763 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

He looks great to me, reminds me a bit of KB, another stud import picked up by the Wildcats!

Reply #486767 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

He looks great to me, reminds me a bit of KB, another stud import picked up by the Wildcats!

Reply #486768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very talented player

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/deandre-daniels

Reply #486774 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Will be better than Ennis, at least long term.

Reply #486775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, he will be better than Ennis

Reply #486778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the dude from UConn? MVP.He will tear nbl apart

Reply #486780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin
Beal
Daniels
Redhage
Knight

And still have three solid bigs like Wagstaff, Hire and Jervis coming off the bench?.Beal can obviously cover both the SG and roatate to the 1 when Damo Is on the bench.

Perth are the team to beat again.

Reply #486782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NCAA Champion with Uconn

Reply #486783 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Miles in front of the league. It's a good thing they gave them those player points cap concessions.

Reply #486785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't a dunking machine like Ennis, but he is far more polished. He has a great feel for the game and a very sound skill-set.He does everything well.He will fit just fine into the well oiled Perth Machine. Another cog in the Machine.I cant believe the NBL can attract such talent.

Reply #486786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's fantastic. He is still a very good athlete and can get well above the rim

Reply #486787 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wollongong also get player point concessions it's called loyalty. Great signing if true

Reply #486790 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Hey RMQ

Just a Wildcats fan with too much time on his hands

Reply #486791 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Daniels seems to be a more consistent shooter and polished post player than Ennis, but it's too early to tell if he'll have a better professional debut than Ennis.

Part of the reason Perth valued Ennis so highly was:

1. His ability to finish around the basket - Daniels doesn't have the same athleticism or finishing ability around the rim
2. His rebounding ability - Daniels rebounded well in college, but his strength and toughness will be out to the test in the NBL
3. His ability to read the play (not always, but most of the time) - Daniels had an INCREDIBLY low 'Pure Point Rating' and struggles to deal with on-ball pressure, often putting up a tough contested shot or making bad passes

In all likelihood he'll be a great import, particularly with his length, shooting ability, and potential fit within the team, but I'll be reserving my judgement before rating him above Ennis.

Reply #486797 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Yeah I agree with PlaymakerMO. Being a draft pick and playing for the national champions doesn't guarantee he'll dominate the NBL. He's a good prospect due to his length and shooting ability which is why he got drafted, but he's not a seasoned pro, and he might struggle against stronger bodies.

I guess from the perspective of other NBL teams a potential positive of Perth getting an NBA prospect is the ready made scouting report care of draftexpress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4CuRT_KV1A

Reply #486804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money Money Money, must be sunny, in a rich mans team !!!!!!

Reply #486805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you've gone and stated all his weakneses to prove he wont panout or he might not?.Unless you are Kevin Durant or Lebron James, no one is PERRFECT.The NCAA is far quicker then the NBL.The only adjustment will be going up against seasoned professional bigger bodies. With 6'9 frame and 7'2 Wingspan, he wont have trouble getting hi shot off.

His strength are being a catch and shoot player and being a good defender. Perfect fit.

Reply #486808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speed is easily measured, and the NBL is far quicker than the NCAA.

Reply #486809 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rebounding ability usually translates from NCAA to NBA, can't see why it wouldn't translate to NBL...

Reply #486812 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

808, have another go at reading my post.

I pointed out a few of his weakness as I understand them... after pointing out a few of his strengths. That's generally how it works, right?

The NCAA, by virtue of the number of teams and different playing styles, has a substantially larger variability of pace relative to the NBL. Without having the numbers, I would expect the NBL to be faster, if nothing else due to the shorter shot clock and lack of extreme athleticism from our local players.

I didn't claim he wouldn't be able to get off his shot in the NBL: it's his shot selection I question. Also, his defense is somewhat questionable as his length made up for a lack of lateral quickness in college.

Mick, if Daniels can battles inside the way Ennis did, I expect his rebounding ability will translate to the NBL. I actually thought Ennis's offensive rebounding was an underrated aspect of his game, and a massive contributor to the Wildcats's gameplan as it fit so well with Knight/Jervis/Hire/Redhage/Wagstaff/Martin crashing the O-boards. Until I see Daniels play professionally, I can't call that he'll have the same impact Ennis did - that's all.

Reply #486817 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Without having the numbers, I would expect the NBL to be faster, if nothing else due to the shorter shot clock and lack of extreme athleticism from our local players."

i.e. we have been characterized internationally as a league of "chuckers" as we don't have the same ability to get to, and finish at the rim.

Reply #486818 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

This would be a great result for the Wildcats.

Reply #486819 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

What I'd be most concerned about is the dislike for contact, the unwillingness to take it to the rim and draw fouls.

Also the penchant for floaters.

Reply #486820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"i.e. we have been characterized internationally as a league of "chuckers" as we don't have the same ability to get to, and finish at the rim."

Actually, internationally we are considered a high-penetration league.

Reply #486824 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Eurobasket says its a done deal:
On Daniels: He has great speed and is able to get up and down the floor quickly in transition faster than most players his size.
Offensively, Daniels has struggled to find one definitive skill he can hang his hat on to allow him to put up points on a nightly basis, besides filling the lane in transition. Daniels can be tough to matchup against, as he can shoot over smaller defenders in the post from the small forward position and beat bigger defenders off the dribble in isolation situations as a power forward. At this point in his career, his ball handling skills are merely average and he is not strong enough to back down post defenders, so it remains to be seen if he can find sustained success in either of these areas.

Reply #486833 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great signing if true, this season so far is looking pretty good.

Reply #486850 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

ROGER - Great sluething.

That Vimeo account is quite possibly an Wildcats account used to store scouting video. Explained by all the James Ennis impact videos. They also removed the DeAndre videos that were posted 2 weeks ago a few hours after u posted the link. Good work!

Reply #486853 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Paul, I remember reading an article last year that included an interview with James Ennis and possibly other imports. One thing about the interview I distinctly remember is how NBL coaches give their players 'the green light' to shoot, and how other leagues play a more slow, deliberate, inside-out style of play.

A quote from Andrej Lemanis:

"We have a natural tendency to play fast. Our players shoot shots without consideration for the flow of the game or how that shot fits in the context of the overall game."

With the tighter refereeing I'd agree last year was better in terms of emphasizing basket penetration, but with all the wrestling inside that had previously been allowed and our below-average finishing ability, I recall many a contested, low % jumpshot being settled for.

Reply #486856 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky...

Reply #486857 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's been all over the media here. I'd be suprised if this isn't announced in the next few days.

Reply #486859 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playmaker Mo - playing fast and being a penetration league go hand-in-hand. The slower the ball comes up the court, the more likely the defence is set and the more likely you end up shooting jumpers.

Reply #486861 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Announcement would be pending clearance and application clearances from VISA/BA

Reply #486862 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He looks pretty good from the highlights, doesn't have the same entertainment value but should be good enough to watch. Another quality import.

So let me get this straight.. Wildcats have Jermaine Beal and Deandre..

We have Jamar Wilson and some Seabl guy? :/

I have a bad feeling its going to be a long season in Adelaide.

Reply #486864 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funny GWB, because if you compare the final year NCAA stats of the two teams' imports you get:

Wilson/Montreal: 30 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists
Beal/Daniels: 28 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists

Of course, that isn't a perfect measure because of all the variables (quality of opponents, teammates etc) but it is better than just going on perceptions like "some SEABL guy?"

Reply #486865 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

We might be arguing two different concepts, Paul.

I don't agree that the NBL is a penetration-centric league when with the exception of our imports and few local players such as Lucas Walker, Tom Abercrombie and naturalized Shaun Redhage (literally the only players I could think of), our ability to finish plays around the rim isn't great. Hence offensive possessions have the tendency to result in drive and kick, immediately followed by another drive and kick etc, leading to something other than a close-range shot.

Reply #486874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not saying it's a constantly finish at the basket league, none of the quality competitions fit that bill because teams play defence and more often than not you have to pull-up kick the ball.

But people I speak to from Europe who watch our league notice it is up-and-down, the ball moves quickly in the halfcourt and players attack the basket.

When I have time I'll analyse the percentage of outside shots in NBL compared to other top 10 leagues.

Reply #486896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754