Anonymous
Years ago

Thon Maker in beast mode. Let him play!

MVP of Adidas Nations
18pts (6-6fg) 8 rebounds
Held Amir Johnson down. And the US is going bananas about him.
At 17 years old, 216cm and 205 pounds the kid is ready for a bench spot on the boomers. Boomers should be all about building the young guns in Exum, Simmons, Humphries and Maker. Its boomers time - Let him play!

Topic #35079 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Wow. Settle down.

Simmons was not ready for the final 12, and I doubt Maker is yet either.

Let's see him play for Australia at the U19 FIBA World Champs first.

Reply #486755 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Exactly what LC said at 205 pounds he weighs as much as most guards. I look forward to next years under 19s and hope that Simmons and Maker take part.

Reply #486756 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Too true, I would love to see him fly at the highest level, but let's see him walk, then run, then jump before he flies.

Some would say he is already doing this, but clearly we need to see him at something close to under 19 worlds level...

Reply #486772 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Don't know about his game as a whole but athletically thon is blossoming.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCrGxc7Kvs

Reply #486793 | Report this post

Eponymous  
Years ago

For all the hype, and it is warranted, Simmons sliced and diced him last month by most observations.

Reply #486822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Simmons couldn't make it this year then there was no chance for Maker. He's a year younger than Simmons and plays a position that we're very deep with atm.

He'll play the under 19's next year and then Rio for us if all goes well. I'm guessing he'll be backing up Bairstow at pf (considering he'll still only be what, 18?)

Reply #486826 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

From interviews with his guardian I read, I think they didn't even consider the Boomers this year.
He was concentrating on the summer bball circuit in the US to get more exposure for college offers and the NBA after that.

Plus he probably realised getting into the Boomers would be long shot and even if he did he would have got very limited minutes.
Play against his peers all summer would be better for his development.

Reply #486841 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He now has elite 24 coming up August 23rd.

Reply #486866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, him in the Boomers this year was never going to happen for so many reasons. His time will come eventually.

Reply #486891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it with idiots who want to see boys become men long before they are ready. Maker isn't even in the un17 squad for worlds, as his focus has been the USA system not Australia, why the hell should he be considered for un19s,sorry but I think if your going to represent your country you have to at least make the country YOUR priority.
Who ever his minders are , they certainly are not advising him to make Australia his priority, he's chasing money and super stardom, and is way off yet, especially compared to the likes of Simmons and Exum

Reply #487123 | Report this post

Damooo  
Years ago

I'd love for him to play just so we can lock him into Australia's system.

When the USA are also keen, and you have a chance to play along the very best players in the world, who are you going to pick? (bearing in mind you've lived in both countries, but were born in neither).

Reply #487127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is it with idiots who want to see boys become men long before they are ready. Maker isn't even in the un17 squad for worlds, as his focus has been the USA system not Australia, why the hell should he be considered for un19s,sorry but I think if your going to represent your country you have to at least make the country YOUR priority.
Who ever his minders are , they certainly are not advising him to make Australia his priority, he's chasing money and super stardom, and is way off yet, especially compared to the likes of Simmons and Exum"

Simmons focus is on the U.S system aswell so i guess he shouldn't play for us anymore either? It has nothing to do with national teams. They play in the U.S because playing in the U.S high school system makes it a lot easier to get into the better colleges than playing in Australia. Playing in the better college teams then makes it easier to get drafted in the NBA. IF you were a young basketball player wouldn't you do what's best for your NBA chances? He's said a fair few times he really wants to play for Australia and even mentioned that he's keen to play in the under 19's next year. Just because he's not playing in Australia and doesn't name drop Oz every five minutes doesn't mean he's forgotten about us.

'd love for him to play just so we can lock him into Australia's system.

"When the USA are also keen, and you have a chance to play along the very best players in the world, who are you going to pick? (bearing in mind you've lived in both countries, but were born in neither)."

That's good. Lock him in so he's forced to play for us or no one. That'll really make him keen to represent us in the future.

Reply #487137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is it with idiots who want to see boys become men long before they are ready. Maker isn't even in the un17 squad for worlds, as his focus has been the USA system not Australia, why the hell should he be considered for un19s,sorry but I think if your going to represent your country you have to at least make the country YOUR priority.
Who ever his minders are , they certainly are not advising him to make Australia his priority, he's chasing money and super stardom, and is way off yet, especially compared to the likes of Simmons and Exum"

stupidest rant i've ever read.

chasing the money and chasing a career. what's the problem? oh that's right he should of stayed here...where's your fucking logic?

Reply #487148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"chasing the money and chasing a career. what's the problem? oh that's right he should of stayed here...where's your fucking logic?"

Simmons and Humphries have done the same. I guess we won't be seeing them in the national team...oh well.

Reply #487151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754