Anonymous
Years ago

Channel 7 to cover Rio Olympics, bad news?

Channel 7 get the rights to cover the 2016 Rio Olympics.

I think this will be bad news for Boomers coverage.

It looks like we are back to 10 minutes coverage for each game.

This sux.

Loved the Foxtel coverage of the 2012 Olympics. 8 dedicated channels and we got to see every Boomers game in full.

Not happy about the new news.

Thoughts?

Topic #35080 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just buy a fiba live pass (same as NBA league pass). at the moment its $81 for the year, and you get all international games senior level to u17, all euro league games and 7 different countries national league which includes nbl. simple fix I think.

For example, we will get all the upcoming world champs games rather than the channel 22 coverage of just Aussie, USA and final games. AND at the moment it is only $1USD or $1.11 AUD. Bargain if you ask me

Reply #486789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to hear Bruce screaming Dante!!!!!!

Reply #486792 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nah, I don't think it will be like 2008 Olympics anon. I'm a little happy because Channel 10 are atrociously bad with their coverage, and while I like Channel 9, they're poor financially and could barely afford the cricket and NRL contracts. Channel 9 were never going to make a serious bid for the Olympics after losing so much money from 2012.

Also remember: Channel 7 have 3 channels they can utilise now, not the mere single one they used + SBS back in 2008. Also, apparently they are talking to Foxtel, so it's plausible that Foxtel may also show the Olympics, it depends how much they're willing to contribute I guess.

Reply #486798 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And I would expect the will use online broadcasting this time around as well - much like the Commonwealth Games coverage did.

Reply #486800 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Bruce: Dante - delicious!

Reply #486807 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if they had more digital channels under their banner by then that they could slot some olympic coverage into as well.

Reply #486811 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Foxtel covered 2012 but so did 7- is this new contract only 7??

Reply #486825 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Well if the rumoured 7mate becomes sports only then they may boradcast over multiple FTA channels. Also they have options to sell on to other stations (SBS and Foxtel?) to extend the coverage and cover their costs somewhat. The best thing would be if the Boomers do very well in the WC and the Aust players continue to flourish in the NBA, boosting the basketball profile everywhere.

And for the love of god - no more continuous equestrian coverage!!!!

Reply #486846 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

I heard them saying on Sunsrise the other day that 7 will be on selling the rights onto other networks, so I assume that Foxtel will have blanket coverage for the events that 7 does not have exclusive rights to ie Swimming.
Also indicated that there would be extensive coverage aimed at Mobile and Tablet users.

Think there will be more coverage than other before, basektball included.

Reply #486854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel need to be involved, they actually do HD look at Seven Sport it is SD, pathetic.

Reply #486920 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@Another Anon - there is no rumour as to if 7mate comes a sport channel. It failed on One so why would they do it and besides they wont get motorsport

Reply #487306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754