LC
Years ago

2014 FIBA U17 World Championships for Men

The 2014 edition of the FIBA U17 World Championships for men kick off tonight.

An Australian team led by Date Exum won silver behind the USA in 2010 - can they go one better in 2014?

All preliminary games are being broadcast live via FIBA's YouTube channel. The QF's onwards are being broadcast via livebasketball.tv - sign up for US$1 to watch!

Japan v Australia - Group B Live Stream - 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship

Game is set to commence at 7:30pm AEST. Go Aussies!

Airbnb Australian team is as follows:

Abiola Akintola | VICM/CoE
Kyle Clark | TAS
Harrison Froling | QLDN/CoE
Deng Gak | NSWM/CoE
Jayden Hodgson | NSWC
Isaac Humphries | NSWM/CoE
Trent McMullan | VICC
Kouat Noi | NSWC
Matthew Owies | VICM
Dejan Vasiljevic | VICM/CoE
Jackson White | VICC
Thomas Wilson | VICM/CoE

Head Coach - Mark Watkins
Assistant Coaches – Jamie O'Loughlin, Justin Schueller
Manager – Jason Membrey
Doctor – Brendon Aubrey
Physiotherapist – Bruce Anderson

Topic #35082 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

I like our chances in this game, surely we will dominate them inside the paint...

Reply #486903 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Is there a different cutoff date for FIBA competition because I'm sure most of these guys are top age U18.

Reply #486915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's 17 and Under

Reply #486923 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Correct, 17 and under internationally, we just call it under 17's here in Aus because we are used to it I think.

Same goes for U/19 worlds I believe too...

Reply #486924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure I see a Dante or a Ben in the current side, it looks to be a more evenly distributed talent base. Of course we could be speaking differently had this team also contained Will and Thon!

Reply #486926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The age is determined by the qualifying tournaments f the year before worlds, so yes it's technically 17 and under, no one is already 18.
And anonymous above, give the will and thon crap a break will you, each and everyone of these players have earnt their spot, McDowell White and maker chose different paths, one America one another sport as their priority.

Just wish them all the very best of luck in what will be an amazing experience for these young men

Reply #486928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 'Dante or Ben' in this group is Humphries. 7 ft and he looks like the only legit high-major talent on the team.

Looking forward to seeing the Aussie boys go for gold!

Reply #486934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain why McDowell White is not in the team?

Was he offered?

Reply #486940 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia should dominate a much smaller Japanese team.

Reply #486943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDowell-White withdrew from his state team because of a falling out with the coach. That, in turn, led to him not being chosen for this squad.

Same situation with his brother, Darryl

Reply #486945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the other stream is working but not the aussie game

Reply #486949 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA are chasing up live streaming issue for Australia vs Japan.

Australia leading 27-14 at 1/4 time. Vasiljevic exploded for 14p first quarter points with 6 boards.

Reply #486951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd love to see the game, but i'd like to see a solid team win in this game

Reply #486952 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia leading 41-31 at half time.

Vasiljevic leads all scorers with 14p & 7r. Wilson with 9p & 3r.

FIBA still working on technical issues with live streaming.

Reply #486954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

geez, I wish I was watching this...

height is our advantage and there is no point production currently from this approach and boy oh boy isn't that extra guard in Mcmullan adding a lot

after Froling, Gak and Humphries its a long way down...

great coaching we are behind now 52-53

Reply #486955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 up with the great Isac in our side what a joke.You people who push for this boy and need to stay off this thread.It is about the under 17s not fools with ego!!

Reply #486958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it's not a first order issue or anything, but is there a reason Australian teams always seem to wear shorter shorts?

Reply #486959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Struggling to put away Japan. Pretty poor

Reply #486960 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

lol. It's overtime... Expected more from the Aus team. What a disappointment.

Reply #486961 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Breaking away from Japan in OT. Vasiljevic with 22p & 10r. Humphries 16p, 14r & 6b!

Reply #486962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke I agree. SHOULD HAVE WON BY 30.Very poor showing and stay off the stats LC.You would score and rebound against Japan!!!!

Reply #486963 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Looked nervous, they will learn from this...

Reply #486964 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussies need to learn from this game as they let Japan back into it in the 3rd quarter.

In the end it was a 97-84 OT win over Japan. Vasiljevic w/ 23p & 11r, Humphries w/ 16p, 15r & 6b, & Noi with 17p, 9r & 3s.

Reply #486965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Vasiljevic and Noi likely to play divison one college ball?

Reply #486966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japan was terrible, but our defence was much worse. Really struggled to contain the dribble penetration as well as allowing Japan to jack up a lot of 3 pointers.

I also don't think much time has been spent on beating a press or double team and I think we got bailed out a few times by the refs down the stretch.

Not sure why Harry Froling, Jack White and Kyle Clark didn't play more, they seemed to play well. Humpries and Noi turned it over a lot and Wilson missed some easy shots.

They need to play a lot better against the French who have a side that will match our height and won't let Humphries get 13 offensive boards.

Reply #486968 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #486969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they will put up the full game on youtube channel soon.

looking at the stats, coach watkins played five guys with Clark and akintola as back ups and they struggled. Against Japan this is a big fail on his behalf.

Interestingly spain loss to Puerto rico.

Reply #486971 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the game is now up on PnR:

Australia outlasts Japan in OT thriller to win opener

We will try and embed full game if it becomes available on FIBA's YouTube channel given the technical difficulties they experienced tonight.

Reply #486978 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Glad they snuck away with the win, early games are rarely pretty and it's just about the W.

Reply #487121 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice write up LC, agree with the assist rate, it has to double from that for us to improve for sure.

Seemed a bit confusing as to what actually happened near the end of regulation, notwithstanding the poor quality of the streaming, all of a sudden we had a point removed as the score was adjusted and scores were level at 77-77?

We still had two decent chances with 4.0 secs on the clock to put the game away, but at least we dominated OT to put the result in the books.

Look forward to watching tonight's game after the football, hope the streaming issue is resolved, Go Aussies... (Goannas)!

Reply #487128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time is tonight's game live streaming?

Reply #487153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night was gonna be 7.20pm for 7.30pm start so approx 10.20 for 10.30 start tonight.

Reply #487155 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes - that time is about right.

Let's hope the host nation organisers have got the FIBA YouTube channel up and working for the Aussies game vs France tonight.

Reply #487159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks

Reply #487165 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Online broadcast for game vs France less than 5min away on YouTube

Reply #487200 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

YouTube broadcast is dodgy as by FIBA - but at least we are seeing some footage this time!

Reply #487205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this feed stop starting for anyone else ?!

Reply #487206 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's horrible and now massively delayed. Australia leading 21-18 at 1/4 time. Scoring load is spread.

Reply #487208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree LC. I thought it was me. My ISP or browser or something. Not good. Probably the fact its aboue 9500 kms away ??

Reply #487209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible coverage. There must be no money in basketball.

Reply #487210 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA organized for U17 women did a far better job - they were almost faultless.

Reply #487217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahah no money in basketball hahaha when one team in the Eurocup has the salary for 10 players which is equivalent to 50 players in the AFL.... hahahhahah no money.... Top euroleauge teams pay 10 players 250 afl teams salaries. ..... hahah don't start about the nba... you know dellavedova, mills, baynes, exum... Unfortunately our sport (AFL/Cricket) is but a drop in an ocean when it comes to the world, real life, actual reality. However, keep living in that cocoon if that's how you roll LOL... ;)

Reply #487220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+ bogut mate ^^

Reply #487221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was tongue in cheek simpleton, apologies for the subtlety.

Reply #487224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm, it isn't your ISP, I have NBN and it is still crappy, lots of lag!

Reply #487241 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia win a nail-biter, 84-81!

Reply #487244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really poor coverage. It skipped from start of 3rd 1/4 to start of 4th and then stopped 4 mins from final buzzer. frustrating... but i'm glad we won.

Reply #487268 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hopefully coverage of finals via Livebasketball.tv will be better.

Reply #487269 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap from Australia's 84-81 win over France is up on PnR:

Australia defeats France in nailbiter to start 2-0 | FIBA U17 World Championship

The Australian U17 Men's squad were involved in yet another close game - this time defeating France 84-81 to remain the only undefeated team in their pool.

Reply #487279 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Great win for the boys, setting up the possibility of top spot in the pool and the ideal run into finals (avoiding USA until the final). Matty Owies was exceptional and I can't wait to see these guys go up against the very best in the coming days, they're a great group to watch although the coaching is questionable at times IMO.

Anyone know why Abi Akintola is playing limited minutes? 8 pts/2 rebs in 8 mins against France and 6 pts/5 rebs in 13 mins against Japan. The players look to him at times, that is clear and he's shooting 82% from the field and 75% from the line.

Reply #487281 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Super win and a huge game coming up against Canada tomorrow which can set up Round of 16 game against Philippines rather than much tougher Angola or Greece.

Reply #487283 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Team came to play in this one, a much tougher opponent I thought, France are a dangerous team and Canada will be just as hard to beat.

If we continue to improve and gain confidence the boys can make a decent run at a medal, but they must take care of Canada first!

We still tend to force the shot at times, which is a worry, but if that's what builds player confidence you don't want to take their aggression away...

Reply #487298 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Yeah, player confidence is huge in this team, and I reckon allowing the players to play with confidence and take "their" shots is Watkins biggest strength as a coach. Previous U17 & U19 coaches have focused so heavily on structure, it has debilitated the flow on offense.

I don't think Tom Wilson has hit his straps yet, so maybe some more minutes for Akintola and a bit game from Wilson will position us as a real medal chance.

Reply #487311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of letting players play the style they have grown up with. Obviously adjustments have to be made for international basketball but that doesn't mean you have to play like other teams do.

Reply #487315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melhoops

Previous 17s & 19s coaches debilitating the flow of offense. So much so that the previous coach got the team a silver medal with that debilitating style.

19s coach ran a completley different style and made a semi final going down by 5 inside the last minute of play - pretty poor results I guess

Reply #487412 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Anon 487412, you could have won a silver medal with Exum and Simmons all the while remaining "anonymous".

My point being, the Europeans play with a read/react style resulting in a flowing game, whereas the Aussie style has traditionally been based on structure which can easily be scouted. As a result our teams are often inconsistent game to game, I think this group thrives on the free flowing style where they can make their own decisions. Sure that might result in a few bad shots, but overall I think it's a recipe for success. Having said that, when they are forced into a half court game they are quite predictable and turnovers are plentiful.

Reply #487477 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

+1 MELHOOPS

Reply #487510 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Big game coming up to Humphries. First 16 points and 4 Rebounds for Australia.

Reply #487519 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

16 points in 7:00 minutes. If he keeps this pace up, he'll get over 50.

Reply #487522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else having a problem with the feed, again, seems to have frozen late in the first quarter?

Reply #487524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+ 1 my arse

Melhoops just shit on and disrespected two very good coaches and using Exum and Simmons as a free ticket to a Gold medal game shows how little knowledge he has at that level.

Reply #487525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

End of first I thought we let them back in this one, hope Isaac can stay out of foul trouble, he is the key at the moment.

Reply #487527 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

yeah stream is pretty jittery. try pausing for a bit then play.

Reply #487528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

take your shots guys!!!!

I can't believe i'm complaining about feeding isaac but even scoring just like against france is needed

Reply #487529 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

How come Deng Gak isn't getting any play time.

Reply #487530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game is being lost right now and no time outs and no personal change and no idea of how to score

great coaching

Reply #487531 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

I don't like the current Australian coach. He seems like an a**hole.

Reply #487532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For over a quarter now we seem to have lost our shape offensively and we can't buy a shot, while Canada have adjusted and are hitting theirs.

We need to find that spark again in the second half to get over the line here.

Reply #487533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as the offense is free flowing right

Reply #487534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^height is our advantage,but Gak has not had a single minute in any games..

you would think he would be worth some time?

Reply #487535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^height is our advantage,but Gak has not had a single minute in any games..

you would think he would be worth some time?

Reply #487536 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

Gak ftw.

Reply #487537 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Canada are too good to allow us to coast, we will have to adjust to what they are doing. Yes, our transition offense has slowed, we are not pushing the ball and stretching them like we did early on and our scoring has dropped off accordingly.

We had 7 assists in the first seven minutes I think, it was looking great and open for us, they have closed down the lanes and now we will see what the Aussies can bring to the court in the second half, come on go boys...

Reply #487538 | Report this post

18 points left until Humphries reaches 50.

Reply #487542 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So many missed opportunities late in that quarter, seemed like we lost our way on offense again once Isaac had a rest. He will have to play out the entire final quarter for us to get near them I'm afraid...

Reply #487544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously what is the point of taking Gak all the way to Dubai to sit on the bench? If he's not up to National team level then don't pick him. Seems like a waste of a position that could've been filled by another player, of which there were plenty good enough to make the team. Gotta feel sorry for the kid.

Reply #487545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi is leaving Isaac out to dry, he isn't blocking his man and he isn't supporting Isaac defensively, he is a liability right now. We need a change!

Reply #487546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boys will need to regroup, still in with a chance if they can spread the load and not play flat for three quarters. Humphries the only stand out tonight.

Reply #487547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough loss

Reply #487548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+/- is a joke, Humphries shoots at almost 70% and nearly 82% from the line for 41 points, gets 19 rebounds, 5 blocks and gets a +/- score of one. WTF?

Our shooting was ugly without him tonight, no one even above 25%, very average and yep a tough loss after such a bright start.

Who is next for us now?

Reply #487550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+/- isn't about how good you play. It's about how the team does score wisewhen your on the court. It's a crap way to judge a player

Reply #487551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

greece next... tough game.

Reply #487552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking at the bracket 3rd place in the group is better than finishing 1st or 2nd.

W(R16) greece =(1/4's) puerto rico
W(1/4's) puerto rico =(semi's)france/argentina/serbia
W(semi's) france/argentina/serbia = (final) USA

Reply #487553 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I watched much of the first half of this game.. Isaac is a beast. Early days but who knows how he might develop. Might keep an eye out for him come 2016 Olympics.

Reply #487554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant see many faults in humphries game except for maybe getting into foul trouble early.

cant wait till next years u19's.
possibly something like this...

PG Mcdowell white, Dufelmeier
SG Adel, Mcveigh, (Vasiljevic or another)
SF Simmons, Bolden
PF T.Maker, Mading, M.Maker
C Humphries, (Froling or Molloy Leigh)

Reply #487555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like this is going to be Humphries 'coming out' tournament so to speak.

Humphries, Maker and Simmons future frontcourt = drooooooool.

Reply #487586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmmm wrong thread.

Reply #487592 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

If one player is putting up all the shots it stands to reason they will probably have a high scoring game. But humpries didn't get the ball and go coast to coast for every point. His team mates got him the ball so a bit of credit for the rest is due. And coach does not use his bench enough in my books. Saying that though he had a great game.

Reply #487617 | Report this post

Good game for Humphries, and bad game for the rest of the team.

And remember...
#GiveGakSomeMinutes

Reply #487619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching last night's game I thought we just didn't have a decent plan 'B' to go to once Canada started hitting their shots and we either lost confidence or just became flat with our intensity.

Greece has a monster centre too, so if we play them the battle under the basket will be one to watch!

Reply #487620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gak is with this team for experience I believe, yes he has a COE scholarship at the AIS, but it is obvious the coaches have less faith in him when the game is on the line than Froling, Noi or Akintola.

Perhaps Molloy-Leigh would have been the better choice as a back up centre with real size?

Having said this, I think Froling was the pick of these three last night, NOI wasn't physical enough, ball watches on defence and Akintola just couldn't hit a foul shot when it counted also is slightly under sized in the paint.

Froling's inside outside game suited Humphries and presented us with more opportunities I thought while his inside presence was solid too.

We just needed more from our noted shooters, but they went missing in this game, such a pitty after an exciting start!

Reply #487621 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries was the man of the moment but his huge effort wasn't enough as Australia falls to Canada - a tough 85-74 loss.

Australia falls to Canada despite Humphries' monster effort

Isaac Humphries had the performance of the tournament - 41 pts (16/23 FG, 9/11 FT), 19 rbs & 5 blks – with scouts and journalists alike raving about his performance. The huge showing wasn’t enough, however, as Canada got the best of the Aussie 'Goannas’.

Reply #487770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greece at 3.00am, that's for the hard core hoops junkies or night shift workers. Good luck boys!

Reply #487781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 mins...

Reply #487806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done on the win boys. That was a huge win.

Greece only went down by 10 points against the USA.

Might shut-up some of the armchair critics.

For me, you're making me proud, forget about the negative posters. Talk about tall poppy syndrome!

Negative posters, really aren't welcome on this blog, only positive support required.

How about some unfettered support for our team. They could use it!

Reply #487821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great stuff, well done to the team, but ^anon I think people genuinely support the team, we are also allowed to make comment on what is or isn't working too. That's not being negative, that's just being honest. Some posters are showing thier lack of heart, sure but generally I think you are taking an extreme view point and it's not warranted.

Reply #487822 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great win by the Aussies!

Australia defeats Greece to advance to quarterfinals

Greece made a big push in the 4th quarter but Australia managed to hold on in the end, advancing to the quarter finals of the FIBA U17 World Championship with a 84-76 win.

Reply #487823 | Report this post

Good win. Humphries rocking it with 16 rebounds. But it's a shame Gak got no minutes...

#GiveGakSomeMinutes

Reply #487825 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The Australia 'Goannas' will face Puerto Rico in their quarterfinal matchup at 12:45am (AEST).

Go Gonnas!

Reply #487826 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Awesome win, always nice to beat the Greeks as they play tough. Also great to see a good spread of contributors, bring on the Ricans!

Reply #487828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great win by Mark and the boys. Puerto Rico next.

Go Gonnas!

Reply #487829 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, the quarter finals and our boys are in with a decent chance playing a team they could match up well against. The Ri'cans have had a great tournament so far but I believe we have the weapons to take them down if we play with confidence.

I would love to hear from some of the parents there as to how the boys felt after last night, pumped I'm sure!?

Also on our side of the draw, France come up against Spain and hopefully we will take on the winner, this will be close and we shall see how good France really is after this game.

In the other side of the draw the USA showed no mercy to Japan and come up against China whom I think they will also dispatch easily.

That could bring forward a semi final between either Canada or Serbia, what a game this may prove to be. Once again it will give us an idea of how tough our pool was and how good Canada rally is, can't pick a winner though...

Reply #487905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice to see so e of the bench getting more of a run, is jack white injured or something, the kids at the AIS, surely he deserves more than 2 mins in a game. And is GAK ever going to take the CRT, McMullen too.

Reply #487908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome win!

Reply #487917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As nice as it would be to see some of those guys deep in the bench get extended minutes, the coaching staff has to think about winning at this stage of the tournament.

For the minutes White has gotten, he hasn't shown to be very useful on either end of the floor, same with McMullen - neither are really ready for this level. Unfortunately Gak hasn't had a chance to prove himself, but Humphries, Froling, Noi and Akintola are all ahead of him in the rotation so maybe there's simply no time for him.

I'm also a proponent of giving Gak some minutes btw, he's an awesome kid

#GiveGakSomeMinutes

Reply #487926 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Great win. As far as giving all the players some time this is not the arena to do anything but get the best result.

I am sure Gak, White and McMullen have played in plenty of games where they played all or most of the minutes while another sat on the pine. For some of the others they will experience similar at the next level or the one after that or not make a team altogether. That is just how it goes.

Reply #487928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But f you look at the stats from un 18s this year with all those playing , White was a standout, that's why he got to AIS , so you would think they would at least give him a go, he did fine in the preseason tour. Hard to show what you can do for any player when you only get a couple of mins a game.

Reply #487945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nationals is a whole different world compared to World Championships. Guys like Wilson and Vasiljevic can dominate a Nationals in Australia if they wanted but they're struggling a lot in this tournament. I feel like I'm inclined to side with the coaching staff that have been around the team for training camp and the lead-up games.

Reply #487948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is the game on this coming morning or tomorrow night?

Reply #487960 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Friday 12.45am

Reply #487966 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It's about match-ups I think, the others mentioned will get another chance should the coaches feel their match up will give the team some advantage, or if a minor injury, foul trouble or another variable come into play.

I have no obvious answer on why Gak has not played yet, hope he doesn't miss out, even if it is worlds he deserves his opportunity IMHO...

Reply #487968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't take them if your not going to use them, I hate when coaches do this match after match, it's not only un fare on those who have worked hard to get there but what about any family that have made the effort to go to watch and in this case the huge expense involved. Surely it's not that hard to get them on the court. Understand it's worlds and players have roles, but no player has a role that requires them to sit on the bench for an entire tournament surely. If so why did they take them.

Reply #487979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 get taken to cover for injuries. They really only need 10. Which one of these or any kids, if asked, wouldn't have gone if they were told they might not get any/many minutes? I'm sure all the kids & parents know that court time at this level is not guaranteed.

IMHO I don't think it is fair that Gak hasn't got on the court or Akintola, White, Hodgson haven't had much court time and McMullen even less. Akintola in particualr has done an exceptional job with the limited minutes he's received. There's a very strong argument that he's be more effective than Noi considering his minutes played. For a coach that is a dream to have a bench player come on and contribute like he has. I also don't think the coaches instill a lot of confidence in these kids. Unfortunately, it is the same at Nationals, some kids obviously have the green light from the coaches and for a player, that is a massive benefit as they know they are not getting dragged for the first or second and sometimes third or fourth mistake. The rest play scared, 2nd guessing themselves, fearful of making a mistake and getting benched. It really is counter intuitive and a downward spiral.

However, that is what it is, always has & always will. Coaches have their favorites in any sport, for whatever reasons, doesn't mean the others are incapable or lesser players, just an opinion.

I understand it is extremely disappointing for the players and parents concerned. However, when it is all said and done this tournament is about finishing as high as possible for a number of reasons (funding, seeding in two year's time, etc) and the coaches are charged with that responsibility.

Also, in their young basketball careers they're all just starting out. There's plenty of time for them to grow and develop. Gak, may end up playing in the NBA and none of the others do, who knows, it is too early to tell. I know that doesn't sound like much consolation.

As well as that it is a team sport and you have to play the role that the coaches want from you. Look at Patty Mills with his towel waving antics from the bench. Couldn't have played his role any better and now he's reaping the rewards with a multi-million dollar contract.

For those that doubt this have a look at the court time for the last two Aus U17 teams at worlds. 2010 in Hamburg & 2012 in Lithuania. There was 3 or 4 'favourites' for want of better description in both of these teams and then the rest. This team is not any different. Watkins & Co have their 3 or 4 favourites. They're going with the kids who they feel can get the job done, and so far it has been OK, with the obvious exception of the Canada game.

So I don't see much is going to change now, unless they try to mix things up to play mind games with opposition coaches scouting and match-ups will always be important. These kids have had Camps, Nationals, Camps, trips to China, the pre-tournament in France. I think the coaches would know the strengths and weakness of these kids by now.

I might add that on the international stage, some of these kids are playing out of position, they're small by international standards. ie Noi (6'6") & Akintola (6'5") are being asked to play the 4 spot when they are really 3's at best.

Reply #487982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, the 11th and 12th man are there for injury backup and nothing more - usually a third C and a PG. They will not play in any game unless it's a blowout. Even the 10th man in non-deep squads won't get much burn. No coach is going to use 12 in all games. None.
I'm suprised White hasn't got more time - I thought his body type/athleticism was made for international basketball, but there must be a reason. Hodgson too - though not sure how his ankle is going. He was very classy in April. Gak on the other hand hardly played (comparitavely) for NSW at Nationals, and I assume can't be used against any bulky/bruiser type of bigs due to his physique. At this stage he is just raw. All the bigs playing in front of him are, at this stage, better than him, especially a Froling type who can play outside and stretch the floor for Humphries.

Reply #488000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great responses guys, but still leaves you scratching your head a little, you have to wonder if more minutes from some of these would infact produce better results, as said those who play the limited minutes continuously begin to doubt their ability and second guess themselves you see this at every level. Think coaches need to be more aware of this in all sports and either sit them down and explain reasons before hand or make an effort to rotate a bit better.

Reply #488002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a good coach also means being a good communicator, I am sure they are speaking with all of the boys.

Not every team is as deep as the USA, that team does run 12 deep, but we don't!

Reply #488027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If those that play limited minutes at a WC begin to doubt their ability - they shouldn't be there in the first place!

Reply #488028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how everyone attacks the coaches. I don't think you honestly understand how hard it would be to coach at a World Championship. Everyone thinks they can coach from the sideline. How about we just give them all support

Reply #488070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon they are being supported, people are allowed to ask a question and make a debate, nothing sinister is being posted and if it is then it is disregarded or shouted down.

The game is on tonight, good luck to the GOANNAS!

Reply #488072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nasty injury may hurt Costa Rica early in this game, nice lead for the Aussies at half time, keep it going boys!

Reply #488194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

humphries is good!! needs post moves bad though

Reply #488195 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

YES!!

Bring on the Serbs...

Reply #488196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the serbs are playing the USA

we play winner of spain and France.

Reply #488197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next game. Who would you start?
Hodgson is more solid than Owies but isn't as good of a defender.
Vasljevic is locked in at 2 over Wilson because of consistency
Clark's been descent and beats out White who has had limited game time
Froling has much greater size than noi and we need the size in the next game.
Humphries our best inside player and contributes so much on the stats sheet.

Starting 5.
Owies
Vasljevic
Clark
Froling
Humphries

Followed by.
Hodgson
Wilson
White
Noi
Gak

Reply #488199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Third consecutive men's underage WCs where we've place in the top four (and eighth straight in the top six), that's impressive. Congrats to all involved and good luck!

Reply #488203 | Report this post

Finally. #GakActuallySomeMinutes

Reply #488205 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

They really need to cut down on the T/O.. Looks like their rebounding kept em in front easily. Don't think we can rely on that in the next couple games.

Reply #488211 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great win by the Goannas! Awesome achievement to get to the medal round in any WC.

Australia crushes Puerto Rico, advance to semifinals

Australia managed to blow-out Puerto Rico behind strong efforts from Dejan Vasiljevic and Isaac Humphries, a 76-52 win propelling them to the semifinals of the FIBA U17 World Championship.

Reply #488213 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

Anon #488199

Why would you stop what's been working? It's easy to get caught up in too much focus on the opposition!

The coaching staff have done a ripper job preparing these kids - the game plan looks very solid and gives them the space to create individually.

Starters:
Owies
Vasiljevic
Wilson
Noi
Humphries

Bench:
Clarke - more minutes, agree he has been good in patches

Froling - has been very good, would agree there. Look to see a bit more of him in the 4 with Humphries I would think.

Reply #488215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great win by Mark and the boys. Now Spain next.
Two more to go. Go the Gonnas!

Reply #488235 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Morning all, the brain wasn't functioning at its peak around 2.00am, sorry of course Serbs are in the other pool and we take on E'Spania porfavor...

Was watching Canada and Serbia, not a bad game, I think the semi final games will both be crackers and when you look at the four teams that made it through we do stand tall on the international stage!

Go Go Goannas!

Reply #488236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello Watkins time to go big

Reply #488384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh my
super coaching
owies shooting
this is bad

Reply #488386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd half about to start
Watkins needs to get the team to put the ball into Humphries within each offence!

Reply #488388 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Huck yeah! Huck yeah! Huck yeah! Huck yeah!
One of the best wins you will EVER see!!!!

Came from 22 down in the second quarter and won it in overtime. Unbelievable! I was so close to going to bed midway through the second, I still can't believe what they did. Amazing!

Have they got anything left in the tank for the USA? Right now I don't care!

Reply #488389 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Great win from the guys. I lost hope 3 or 4 times but the players never did.

Reply #488390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great come back by the goannas. Humphries coming up strong in the end along with dj and Wilson.

Still think Watkins isn't that great of a coach.

Reply #488391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing effort by the team! The decision to play a little taller with Wilson at the 1 paid dividends at the end of regulation! The extra length made the Spanish guys second guess a little! At this level that's all that was needed. Humphries was massive in the end, but needs more touches around the basket! The kid is so impressive for his size and makes decent decisions once he has the ball in the post! Awesome result and not having watched a live game of basketball in 2 years was great being there and proud to be an Aussie.

USA will be tough but with the effort they put in all week anything is possible. Shame I won't be there but good luck boys !

Reply #488392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries can do it all. Solid at the free throw line which is pretty rare for a dude his size. Still needs to improve his timing around the rim, sometimes goes up to early on rebounds and put backs, also needs to work on his conditioning. He is 6'11 250 pounds currently at just 16, Possibly could grow to be around 7'1 and a solid 260 pounds+ by the time he reaches the pros. Pair him with maker in the front court and Dam!!!

Reply #488394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is absolutely ridiculous. One of the best junior players Australia has ever seen, without question. Those 2 dunks in overtime were #clutch

Reply #488396 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What a win by the Goannas! 80-74 OT win and now play USA for gold!

Recap now up on PnR thanks to Olgun Uluc:

Australia defeats Spain in OT thriller, will face USA in Grand Final

After trailing by as many as 22 points, Australia has come back to get the thrilling 80-74 overtime win over Spain - setting up a Grand Final rematch against an undefeated USA squad.

Australia, led by Exum, took silver 4 years ago behind the USA.

Reply #488398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot believe that game. Awesome result Goannas!

Also cannot believe Humphries is 16! OMG how good is he going to be...

Reply #488400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome win boys! They obviously don't know when to quit!
I know Watkins has his knockers, but to do what they just did shows they are a team that believes in themselves and have the confidence to just go for it on the court. The aurthority to play like his comes from the coach!

We now have he silver in our pocket. Can we dare to dream... After watching that game nothing is impossible...

Reply #488401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no Simmons or McDowell in sight think they are doing an awesome job

Reply #488418 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah baby, great effort and desire from the whole team, well done you make us all very proud!

Bring on the Yanks!

Reply #488427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a link to the replay of this game anywhere?

Reply #488431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC it was 2 years ago that we took silver against the USA and anon #418 Simmons is too old for this age group, he had his chance two years ago!

Reply #488435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time is the game on anyone have details please

Reply #488437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

V USA 3am tomorrow morning.

I don't think there is a full replay available anywhere, only a short highlight vid.

These guys are still getting better every game. What they did last night was unbelievable!!!

Reply #488440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think everyone needs to get over this idea that McDowell-White is a messiah that would have delivered us a gold medal had he played. He had his chance but, for various reasons, forfeited his place in the QLD South squad and , therefore, the Australian squad. Great player no doubt but his influence is often inflated dramatically on this forum.

Reply #488443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^...Agree think that boat will have sailed way too much cargo to go with McDowell and plenty of other talent here too

Reply #488450 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah, meant in 2012!

Replay will eventually be available on livebasketball.tv

Australia is coming...

Go Aussies!

Reply #488465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

geeeeez

block out and guard newman, c'mon

Reply #488532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Watkins had picked another big (in the team) and played Gak some more in earlier games because this game we sure could use it...

Reply #488533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Message to Humphies - be aggressive

Reply #488534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that's the one that got away.

the coaches really should have put a cracker up Humphries, it happened in the last game he was just to tentative and passed and it happened for the whole game this time they really should have had a way to fire him up.

anyway, if the other guys in the team had just been more clinical in finishing that game was ours.

Reply #488535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have used his bench more throughout the game to keep his main players fresher to keep up with USA athetisism . But still a fantastic effort from a group of young men that so many on here doubted because of certain players being omitted. Even now you sing the praises of Humphries all week then flog him because he didn't have a huge game. Silver is an awesome result and they really didn't loose by much against a country that lives and breathes this game at a level Australia never will.

Reply #488536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Vasiljevic takes 24 shots, makes 9 of them.. Humphries only had 5 shot attempts!

Why don't these kids get that he's the most dominant player in the tournament, get him the damn ball.

Silver is an awesome result, dont get me wrong. But to think selfishness could've cost em the gold, damn.

Reply #488538 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

So so proud of this team. They took it to them and again never gave up, We may look back at this game as the one that got away, but to make the gold medal game and to go down fighting only losing by 7 is a fantastic effort! I would never believed this would be the result before the tournament stated. Mark and the boys deserve a huge congratulations for standing so tall on the world stage. We gave they yanks a hell of a fight, and you can bet the rest of the world is taking notice. Bring on the next U19 worlds, we will fear no one!!!

Reply #488540 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A fantastic effort by the Goannas in earning silver despite falling 92-99 in the final vs USA.

Some great performances and no shame is just falling short to the USA.

Recap now up on PnR:

Australia falls to USA to take silver; Humphries, Vasiljevic named to all-tournament team

Reply #488542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haven't watched this game yet but well done to all the boys, that's a hell of a tournament.

Reply #488544 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Congratulations to the Aussie U17 boys on back-to-back Silver Medals at FIBA Championships.

Sensational effort by the Players throughout the tournament to achieve this result and the Coaches have done an outstanding job to make all aussie basketball fans proud.

Well done to all involved.

Reply #488549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who has anything but prise for what these players and staff have achieved is a fool. Attacking Humphries, Vasiljevic, Watkins? FFS you really have no idea.

Watkins has done an amazing job with the group.
Humphries and Vasiljevic are in the All Tournament team...

Watch the game.

Watch all of their games.

The kids were amazing and performed better than they EVER have in their lives.

Blockout...
Get more aggressive...
Give it to Humphries...
Play Gak...

The teams they defeated to get to the final are outstanding and the USA team are full of NBA type athletes. Cut our kids some slack, they were awesome.

Reply #488551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ well said

Reply #488552 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wow, another world u17 silver and we took it right up to the best the USA could muster, congratulations to all the boys, the coaches and every person involved in the Aussie junior basketball program.

This has been a two year project, starting back in 2012 at FIBA Oceania and now after many hours of trials, games, training sessions and tactical coaching by all concerned we have again proven we are one of the best junior basketball nations on the planet!

Great effort, well done Goannas...

Further I would like to think we can also acknowledge those kids who worked with this team along their journey. They also played a part in the team's development, however could not be considered for selection, but they did their part by pushing these players to do their best, and they did their best, cheers boys...

Reply #488564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know when they will post the game online so we can watch it if we didn't get to stay up until 3.00am>?

Reply #488649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it was replayed yesterday at 5

Reply #488691 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Humphries should make NBA. He would appear only certainty at this stage

Reply #488707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be happy with one NBA player out of every world u17, take that any day of the week.

Reply #488712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it's a long way off, but based on their performance in the Final against the elite USA Team I'd think Vasiljevic & Wilson might be a chance to play NBA. Vasiljevic with 29pts & Wilson with 23pts, 7 Ass & 6 Boards & best efficiency for the game certainly need to be considered as chances at this stage of their development? They at least showed they weren't overawed and can mix it with the best the USA have to offer.

Reply #488752 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

I agree that everyone has a chance - what will happen with these great boys is entirely up to them. If they keep working as they have they have a decent chance to make a career out of basketball. I was really glad that they did not back down and took it to the Yanks. It was a real joy watching the US coach going mad on the sideline. Unfortunately they did have Newman among their midst and our kids were basically outmuscled but not outplayed.

Have nothing but the praise for the boys and coaching staff, well done on carrying yourselves with pride.

Reply #488756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids were fantastic, tip my hat to all of them.

Reply #488766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. We all know what Humphries has achieved in this tournament is fantastic and he rightly deserved his selection in the World Starting 5 along with DJ. Humphries definitely looks NBA bound.

DJ and Wilson showed what fighters & competitors they are, they weren't going down without a fight. Two games in a row they led the team from the front. To come back from 22 pts down against Spain in the S/F was unbelievable and Wilson was instrumental in that win (13 Pts/11 Rbds, Double-Double) especially when it counted at the end.

Agree with post above DJ & Wilson could/should be considered as possible future NBA players as well.

Reply #488772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering how much credence the USA (College & NBA) scouts place on an underage tournament like this?

Reply #488773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of talk about Humphries, Vasiljevic & Wilson, but it was a team effort. Don't deny the 3 above played a big part, but the rest of the team played the roles that they were given, some playing very important support roles. For that they are to commended.

Well done boys & coaches, memory's for a lifetime.

Reply #488776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vasiljevic didn't have a great tournament at all IMO. He just chucked shots. He shot 36% from the field which isn't great. Think of how many of those missed shots could've been deep post catches to Humphries for essentially guaranteed points. His efficiency was awfully low and the fact that he averaged less assists than Humphries is worrying. Euro ball is his ceiling.

Wilson picked up his play toward the end of the tourney but struggled mightily early on, especially against high-level guards. Neither Wilson or Vasiljevic come close to NBA potential - Euro/NBL the ceiling for both. Humphries is really the only NBA level talent on the team.

And agree with the post above, it was a team effort. But obviously some are more talented than others. Just my opinions.

Reply #488778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ the U17 was the start of all the attention on Exum then nike hoops and U19 so I'd say they do, more so if you play/match up on the USA.

I think scouts are now very very aware of Humphries as well as DJ and Wilson.

I also think Kouat Noi has the potential to end up like Deng Adel.

and froling and gak both 1998 will go to a very good uni's then its up to them..

Reply #488779 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

you should ask the boys - from what I have heard some of them have already received multiple college offers.

I stand corrected - when I said the boys I meant all of them not these three in particular. This was probably the difference between this and 2012 team, very tight bond towards the common goal. Not sure how the coaches managed to achieve this but even Humphries surrounded with all this hype about him was very much grounded.

Reply #488780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God let them get through college if they even get their before you start putting them into NBA teams, lol, you lot are hilarious, their teenage boys who need to finish their education before anything else.

Reply #488783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would rather be hilarious than negative anon. We as fans have a right to be excited if you don't have anything good to say please say nothing

Reply #488788 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thoughts now turn to the Nike Hoops Summit game I believe due in March 2015 between the USA and a World Team unless I am mistaken.

I expect some of the best players in this u17 world championships will make the 'Rest of World' team and if so I wonder if Isaac for Australia would be in the mix, or will he be too young?

That big for Greece would also be in the mix, plenty of decent players for the world coaches to select from, maybe even a couple of our boys who performed high in the tournament stats, like DJ and Tom Wilson could get a look in?

If this tournament isn't on, then of course the next thing in front of this age group would be under 19 worlds, but they would be in the bottom age group and I expect not many would be considered...

Reply #488810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Saturday, April 11, 2015:
USA Basketball: Nike Hoop Summit.

Reply #488812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, five players from the 2012 U17 team played U19s in 2013. That could have been seven if Djeric and Simmons had been available.

So you'd expect somewhere around the top half of this U17 team to be there next year, all going well.

Humphries, Wilson and Vasiljevic seem very likely, with Noi also a pretty good chance. Akintola and Clark will prob contest for spots too.

Owies' defence would give him some chance at a back-up role but his shot needs work. Froling's young but a big who can shoot can be attractive to some coaches. I would think those two would be outside chances though.

Reply #488816 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Humphries would already be a lock for under 19s team.
The strength of next years team depends on Simmons,Bolden,Adel etc being available, hope to see Thon Maker in team too.

Reply #488820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754