ron
Years ago

Port Power and 36ers affiliation

Joey Wright and Ken Hinkley are mates as both operated out of the same facility at Cararra on Gold Coast when they were with the blaze and suns respectively. I see they have attended opposing training sessions together and shared ideas.

Any chance this could become official and 6ers gain same power fans attending games?

Topic #35086 | Report this topic

Crow Fan  
Years ago

Backward step in my mind for our 6ers...

Reply #486894 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Sad Crow Fan. Maybe this will lead to an annual charity game between the 36ers and the Power similar to previous 36ers/Crows matches. Always a great event with reasonably good support. I'm sure some of the Power players have basketball experience. IMO should be embraced by both clubs.

Reply #486898 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Wright and Hinkley first became mates in Geelong?

Reply #486901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers should affiliate with both clubs.

Reply #486908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers have used Port's facilities last season and th Crows made theirs available for that.

Power players & Crows players already attend 36ers games (Trengove, Jacobs for instance) and do use their social media when at the games.

You'll find most football people don't go to 36ers games except as one offs and mainly when the wins are flowing like last year, sad but true.

As for the charity game, I agree it is a good idea and the 36ers v Crows games were attended well (utilising the Ent Centre for atleast 1 I can recall) the risk of injury to the AFL players is unlikely to see it happen again. Perhaps if a cause can be put forward with the support of the charity (like Little Heros Foundation) mountains may start to move. But who is going to be the one to start the ball rolling & champion it through? 36ers GM is unlikely to and the AFL clubs are too wrapped up in their planning for their following seasons.

Nice idea, just don't see anyone taking up the cause.

Reply #486910 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

One of Port's Board members was a long-time CABL (District) basketballer of some note.

Reply #486912 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Majority of players come from a basketball background. They have an interest in the game itself.
It's not that uncommon. A lot of the basketballers are at AFL games too.

Reply #486918 | Report this post

l  
Years ago

All good all pro athletes should be supporting one another - nothing better PR wise than an A list at your home games. Get them all involved!

Reply #486919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chad Wingard play some great junior basketball at Sturt and Mavericks. Has been seen at the Arena following the Sixers

Reply #486944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36er's team doctor also happens to be one for Port as well

Reply #486953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbie Gray was an awesome point guard in juniors at nunawading

Reply #486967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about a lead in game to a 36ers game between Crows and Power

Reply #487204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the Power actually wining a game?

Reply #487214 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It is a healthy thing to have elite sportsmen and women in teams across different sports have close bonds, it can lead to many spin offs, great community spirit and a sense of belonging among fans and players of these teams.

Works best in my opinion in smaller cities or towns, but it can also work quite well in capitols, look at Melbourne Storm and the way they have done this in the past...

It has helped the Storm cement their position within the Melbourne sporting landscape and the ensuing promotion of the club is priceless.

Any chance to get good media exposure should be considered, but I wouldn't choose only one AFL team in a city such as Adelaide, just fraught with danger I think...

Reply #495164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754