Isaac
Years ago

Oscar off to Boomers trials

Sixer and local ABLer, Oscar Forman, got a call from Brian Goorjian yesterday. He's off to a Boomers camp next week, selected as one of six players in trials for the final four positions for an upcoming Boomers tour of China and Japan.

Not sure who the other five players are, which six are already in the squad (I think it might be a depleted squad with Bogut and Andersen missing, amongst others) and thus what his chances are.

Should be good experience getting a tough workout under another coach and training outside the Sixers system for some variety.

I'm assuming that Jacob Holmes would also be involved as one of the guaranteed six or those in trials -- can anyone confirm?

Good luck to both of them either way. A great opportunity no matter what happens.

Topic #3510 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

What are the realistic chances of him making the final cut?

Reply #40619 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think he has a good shot. Any team can use a rebounding 6"9 three point shooter.

Reply #40620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not knowing who's in the squad already or who he's up against, how can anyone have any idea?

He might be up against better players and have little chance. Or the squad might be missing a lot of players due to other committments, he might shoot well, and get in.

Reply #40621 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Goorjian said last night that Oscar was a future prospect.. probably someone who could contribute in a few years or so.
Pretty hard to get a run for the next couple of years with some of the premium veteran big men in Anstey, Andersen & Ronaldson etc in the mix.
Would Oscar be competing with someone like Nielsen for a 3 spot ? If so it'd be a shame because Nielsen is in crazy form and i think it will be difficult to move him.

Getting the training and building some repore with the guys certainly will hold him in good stead for later on.

Good luck big fella !

On a similar note .. Joe Ingles and Brad Hill are guys who Goorjian has a lot of time for and its great to see a STRONG SA contingent in National selections in the junior ranks also.

Reply #40623 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

What i mean to say is .. itll be hard for Oscar and Jacob to make the team for a continued period of time when the other guys are back from O/s ...

Would be good to se them get a run in Japan though.

Reply #40624 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

I think that Jacob was already selected? Read about how he missed a match for the Nelson Giants because he had to fly home for the camp.
On last seasons form Oscar should have been invited already.
Go Oscar!

Reply #40625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if Jacob wasn't already in, or a likely inclusion in the four to be added.

My predictions are always wrong, but that doesn't mean I stop trying! My prediction for this year with the Sixers is that Jacob will beat Dusty in points, rebounds and assists. Rychart surprised me last year, so he might do it again, but I think Jacob will elevate his game this season. A lot of potential scorers in the roster this year.

Reply #40626 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Dusty is a Poor mans Karl Malone! (ok very poor mans karl malone) He gets that many garbage points its great to watch!

On Oscar, this will boost his confidence if nothing else knowing he can now mix it with the best in the country

Reply #40636 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

just listening to brian g last night on talking hoops and he was good on the air -presented well as knowledgeable, human and intense about basketball. You have to admire his character and the results it has achieved...well ok not for boomers ..yet. You would think if he organised individual sessions with players it would be productive, focussed and happen!! and even to be part of a training camp with him will be a great experience for any young player.
on jake he said -he's good at what he does well but defensively needs work in a few areas.
I remember he also said that the young crop of b'ballers coming through are better than good and i thought he said there are about 80 oz kids in college system?? I presume he was talking b'ball only- maybe men and women but even across all divs would 80 be correct.

Reply #40641 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

rychart is a legend, is half the team in himself

Reply #40663 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i do have a lot of time for goorjan, but never the less, i personally think phil smyth did not deserve to be sacked when he was, and hence should still be the boomers coach in my opinion. what do you guys think?
i agree with dingo in that any session that goorj organised would be very well run, and certainly effective. he sounds like a good motivator and manager.

Reply #40665 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Don't know that I'd go that far Wak. Yes Dusty is an integral part of the 6ers but don't know that he is half the team. I think last year we had good contributions from most of the squad.

Wish Oscar all the best and if he misses out in the near future I'm sure he will be in then when some of the international veterans start stepping down.

Reply #40666 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

good luck to Oscar, I think Goorjian sees that he could fill the 'Tony Ronalson' role of being a forward with 3pt range to create matchup problems, for the Boomers in a few years.

Reply #40730 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Boomers Squad is now on www.basketball.net.au for the camp Oscar is going to.
2005 Boomers squad*

David Andersen (unavailable),
Stephen Black,
Andrew Bogut (unavailable), Aaron Bruce (unavailable),
CJ Bruton,
Ben Castle,
Peter Crawford,
Oscar Foreman,
Wade Helliwell,
Russell Hinder,
Jacob Holmes,
Daniel Kickert (unavailable), Alex Loughton,
Sam Mackinnon (unavailable), Aleksander Maric,
Steven Markovic (unavailable), Damian Martin (unavailable), Brad Newley (unavailable), Matthew Nielsen,
Andrew Rice,
Damien Ryan (unavailable),
Glen Saville,
Luke Schenscher (unavailable), Jason Smith,
Greg Vanderjagt,
Mark Worthington.

Only two I haven't heard of are Maric & Worthington, anybody know their history?

Reply #40744 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Pistol,

Worthington is from metro state university where he won the Div 2 college player of the year, and is playing for Sydney this year.

Greg Vanderjagt is playing for Townsville.

Reply #40748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worthington is the Kings rookie this year. Plays at forward I think. Word from early Kings games seems to suggest that he's the real deal. Like the forward version of Kendall -- will contribute straight away.

Take out the unavailables and that leaves 16.

Reply #40750 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

How about Aleksander Maric, anybody know about him?

Reply #40751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric is a big that played in the Emu's Gold medal team. He is currently playing at Nebraska University.

Reply #40752 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Who is Aaron Bruce ?

Reply #40753 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Touted as a potential for the 2007 NBA draft.

PG at Baylor.

Aaron Bruce's Profile

WACO, Texas - Baylor's Aaron Bruce received two more prominent honors published Thursday, the same day his freshman season ended at the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. Bruce was an All-District 7 selection by the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) and was named the Big 12 Freshman of the Year by the San Antonio Express-News.

HONORS FOR BAYLOR GUARD Aaron Bruce:
Freshman All-America, 2nd team (rivals.com)
Freshman All-America (CollegeInsider.com)
All-Big 12, 3rd team (AP)
All-Big 12, 3rd team (K.C. Star)
All-Big 12, 3rd team (Lawrence Journal-World)
Big 12 Freshman of the Year (K.C. Star)
Big 12 Freshman of the Year (S.A. Express-News)
Big 12 Diaper Dandy of the Year (ESPN.com, Dick Vitale)
All-Big 12, honorable mention (coaches)
Big 12 All-Freshman team (media)

Reply #40754 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Aaron is a 20/21 year old guard from Horsham in Victoria. He was at the AIS for a couple of years and is now playing Div 1 College Hoops.

Reply #40755 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Read Bruce's Bio, he's awesome, in high school he was named 2033 Victorian player of the year!

Reply #40757 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22295

Link to Aaron Bruce's stats. Impressive stats against pretty reasonable opposition, especially as a Freshman.

Reply #40759 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

2033 player of the year hey lloyd, thats pretty good. i have heard that he's ahead of his time but that is rediculous!

Reply #40773 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

OK D.Brent, if you are going to have a go at someone, it is a good idea to check your spelling first

"REDICULOUS?"

Is that so stupid it has a color?

(Mod : is that "color" or "colour"? :-) )

Reply #40774 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I think you will find that Aaron Bruce's profile on the Baylor University website actually says 2033, so the joke is on them.

Perhaps he owns a time machine.

Reply #40780 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Pistol,

That was the point of my post and im pretty sure muscles (brent) knew that.

Reply #40815 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

certainly did lloydy boy, good to see our loyal computer geeks didn't let us down though with the abuse. nice mod too isaac.

(Mod: That mod was from one of the other moderators.)

Reply #40862 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Actually D Brent, not a Computer Geek, just defending one of my "Boys".
I can't work out who you are as yet (even with Lloyd's clue - "muscles").
Brain has gone into Friday afternoon meltdown, need more "Red Frogs".

Reply #40864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just got word that Pero Vasiljevic is heading to the boomers camp too. Good luck PEro!

Reply #40946 | Report this post

pero fan  
Years ago

Yea thats great. Good luck to the big fella!

Reply #40948 | Report this post

ray romano  
Years ago

Fan, that is the record. Smartest comment in the forum witout a doubt!

(Mod: Last three comments from the same person. Zzz.)

Reply #41000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754