Anonymous
Years ago

14s Club Nationals

Does anybody know the qualifying process in each state? And if so who will be coming from all the states, in the boys and girls?
NSW
Boys- Norths, Illawarra, bankstown, Newcastle
Girls - Norths, Newcastle, manly, Gosford (I believe)

Topic #35109 | Report this topic

Thunder  
Years ago

NSW reps are
1. Norths
2. Newcastle
3. Manly
4. Tamworth

Reply #487502 | Report this post

Thunder  
Years ago

In the girls

Reply #487504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Queensland are entering a state team as Spartans again

Reply #487505 | Report this post

basketball19932  
Years ago

SA
Boys:
Central Lions
Sturt Sabers
Woodville Warriors

Girls:
Forestville Eagles
Eastern Mavericks
West Adelaide Bearcats

Reply #487506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do Queensland qualifications work? Who are Spartans?

Reply #487509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swings and roundabouts ......

Reply #487521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'll probably find out who all the coaches are on Sunday as that's when most clubs have trials.

Reply #487611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I'm confused, most clubs have trials for nationals? They don't take the team they qualified with?

Reply #487616 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Its supposed to be clubs NOT state so how can queensland enter a state team that would be against the playing rules surely when every other state has to qualify via a club team

Reply #487618 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong fellow Victorians, to qualify for nationals you need to be either first or second in your VJBL pool after the first 9 rounds in VC (assuming there are 4 spots for Vic). This has been problematic in the past where one pool has the three strongest teams in VJBL, one team miss out that should go to nationals. teams have won VC but missed qualifying for nationals in the past.

On the girls side Bulleen Boomers and Dandenong are definitely going but not sure about the others. Melbourne Tigers def going in the boys.

It is a national CLUB championships so I cannot imagine Basketball Australia allowing a combined team to be entered for Queensland. surely this is against the rules and indeed the spirit of these club championships that have been played for more than 30 years.

Reply #487628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Districts Spartans have been re-trialling for Club Nationals for years. If you didn't know that your are well out of the loop. BQ allow it, as do BA.
Definitely against the spirit of the rules, not sure about the actual rules though.
Any result they obtain is tainted.

Reply #487634 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

There is no combined QLD side, Spartans are the hosting association and therefore get to enter a team.

They have had open trials for the Nationals teams and the upcoming Rep season in Brisbane. This does not sit well with some of the locals who some how think that Spartans are the only club to use players that did not play the preceeding year with the club.

Reply #487643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rex, Spartans have done the same thing every year - it has NOTHING to do with hosting the event.
The team that qualifies for Natioanls is not the team that represents Spartans at Nationals, they add players who played for other teams in that qualification period - blatant cheating in my book.

Reply #487659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens to the kids that qualified? Do they get turfed out when they import new more talented models?

Reply #487660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my understanding for this years girls team, 3 players left during the season. Those slots were filled during the open trials and will play alongside the original 7 girls.

Reply #487662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is the qualification process in QLD, apart from the auto qualifier for hosting the tournament?

Reply #487665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory, for QLD South 14 round (plus semi and final) BQJBC tournament which provides seeding for Classic. How you finish in Classic determines if you qualify for Club Nationals.

Reply #487670 | Report this post

WTF !!!!  
Years ago

ACT and NT and Tas are state all-star teams,. All the State club teams are usually slightly changed from the original line - ups that got up through their state qualification.

Reply #487691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember back 9 or 10 years ago one SA team tried to "recruit" the state's gun U14 player into their national team following the end of winter season.

Reply #487695 | Report this post

No Way Kidding?  
Years ago

^ And which District Club/Association would that be?

Reply #487713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People that defend the horrendous cheating with "everyone does it" are full of it.
SA, WA, NSW don't do it. Vic don't do it (though one club in particular has in the past). Spartans try to justify the wrongdoing but reality is that they willingly will recruit over the poor kids that qualified for them.

Reply #487723 | Report this post

WTF !!!!  
Years ago

Mate, Wake up a bit, Parents do the "recruiting" for them.

Reply #487729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was North who recruited a player at the end of State Champs.

Reply #487734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A current Victorian club has done this "blatant recruiting" of a GUN player from another team that didn't make Nationals qualification. This player now can't play Friday night league games for the rest of the season (3 weeks and playoffs) but can play Nationals.

The Victorian teams that are going to Nationals are:
Melbourne, Nunawading, Hawthorn & Keilor.

I won't say which team, but its an absolute joke. (Coming from a coach of another U14 team in the same competition)

Reply #487735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad that they don't back the kids that got them there. Sad that they have to cheat.
Most of all it's pathetic that the association allow it.

Reply #487736 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

the team that qualified should be the team that goes. if there are injury or unavailability the gap should be filled from the same club. ie the club 2nd team

Reply #487740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed totally with FUBR, how anyone could drop at 13 year old kid that's put in all that work is beyond me!

How many teams come from qld? Wa?

Reply #487746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Attending a few years ago as a Team Manager, had a player with an injury who was pivotal to us qualifying in the first instance, we took the injured player and a replacement from the second side ( 11 Boys ), I could not even consider not taking him and he was a great source of motivation to all the boys.

Reply #487748 | Report this post

Years ago

so should there be strict governance or free rein ?

Reply #487755 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nunawading is the team that is taking a player that cannot play VJBL because he was playing with Dandenong. Quit during the season and now Nunawading is happily including him in their side. Poor demonstration of team concepts and clearly Nunawading are desperate fir some sort of success otherwise on principle should not be rewarding a player who quits his team because he thinks he is too good for them.

Reply #487757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what happens in other States but in Vic you either qualify at Country Champs in April or in June for Metro Teams, a lot can happen between then and End of September... but actively seeking players to the detriment of original Team Players does not seem right.

Reply #487758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The case of the kid who's switched this year in Vic is the exception, not the rule. It's very poor behaviour by both player/parents and the club accepting the transfer.

BA need to step in with some simple rule adjustments that effectively require players to have been playing at the qualifying association at time of qualification. If you want to form a super-team, fine, but do it prior to the start of the season. The current Hawthorn u14 boys have a player who represented a different association at Nationals last year, but he trialed and qualified with Hawthorn this year. Those transfers can at least then be regulated by state body poaching rules; BV appears to be almost impotent in the case of the mid-season transfer.

Reply #487774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this jack perry that is playing for Nunawading?

Reply #487778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that allowed?

Is it in competition rules?

Nunawading coach needs to take a good look at himself. That's disgraceful.

Reply #487783 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is Jack Perry

Reply #487795 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not to be confused with Darren Perry's son Jack who just represented Vic Metro 16 men. This is the younger Jack Perry.

Reply #487796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of the player, it's wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Guess Nunawading coach is more about winning than morals.

Reply #487820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading will zone as well - be prepared!

Reply #487831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so the coach is all about winning isn't he. At all costs

Pathetic!

Reply #487836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Behaviour of club is poor. As is naming a 13-year-old in a public forum.

Reply #487851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just a 13 year old kid, its not the NBA. Get over it.

Reply #487937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think this has anything to do with the kid.

The kid should be left out of it and not mentioned, my major issue is with coaches/clubs who will qualify for the event and not take the kids who busted their asses to get them there! Even if you take him/her as your 11th, they're eating into kids court time and experience. Kids who have earned it!

Does anyone outside vic have a shot at winning this thing?

Reply #487939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hills Hornets from Sydney , but you need to join another thread to see how they actively poach players. Townsville over the years have also been strong and Sturt always give it a good go.

Reply #487940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ LOL! Hills not even qualified and Sturt won't go anywhere near it in either gender. Townsville not going in the boys, don't know about the girls.

939, no; in the boys, the winner will be Victorian.

Reply #487942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

942, do you know which queensland boys teams are going? Or where I could find out?

Reply #487943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns, Southern Districts, Ipswich

Reply #487947 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I thought Sturt did ok at the National Classic? May not win but should do better than the previous post scoffing at the mere suggestion

Reply #487949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central Districts strong in under 14 boys and have a strong guard and big guy

Reply #487954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to all of the kids, it's just a huge shame about Spartans and their ethics or lack thereof.

Reply #487957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, your definition of ok must be very different to mine. Sturt boys finished 13th at Classic. There's nothing wrong with that and I'm sure they'll put in a good performance at Nationals. But 8th would be a great result for that group, and I don't really consider that close to winning it.

Reply #487964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt hasn't been the best SA team in that age group for a few years now.

Reply #487975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good luck to all of the kids, it's just a huge shame about Spartans and their ethics or lack thereof."

In case you haven't been following the thread, it seems they are not alone....

Reply #487990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First time in 3 years Sturt have even qualified. And I'm sure the Girls won't compete, given they weren't even close to making it.

Reply #487997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA teams and NSW teams are well below par this year. NSW teams in particular where miles off at Classics.
The WA teams have struggled the last few years. I think the Vic teams will all be in the top 6 (unless Nunawading actually get pinged for zoning) including the country team, the Qld teams (particularly Cairns and SD) will be alright. Could be a good year for a strong NW Tas or the like to make a mark and pull a strong result. Centrals could be alright, but for some reason didn't have a good Classic.

Reply #487998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: 14s Club Nationals

No other club has even come close to what Spartans did last year in recruiting for the girls in Ballarat.

Reply #488015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

998, the draw makes it very difficult for all the Vics to go top 6, but on ability it's possible. Nunawading is the big question mark, as no one really knows what they'll look like with the addition of one of the best players in the country, but they will struggle to guard people without the zone.

I agree about NSW and SA being well below par this year. I think SA people are flatly overrating Centrals. The guard is very impressive but the big is just big. It's a tough tournament with no depth, too.

I disagree about the WA sides in the boys. I think they're in for a good year, with two teams likely to crack the top 12. The problem with the u14 format though is that the draw is really hit or miss. The pool last year with 4 State Champions (NSW, Qld, SA and WA) was a bit ridiculous.

Reply #488032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals started poorly at Classics but won their last four games including a win over Nunawading and their zone.

As for the big just being big well that's not true at all.

Reply #488045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals not being deep is an interesting coment. Sure they definetly don't go 10 players deep at Nationals level, but they definetly go 7 deep. Arguably the 2nd best big in sa (apart from the aforementioned "just big" big), and arguably another top 5 gaurd in the state apart from the aforementioned gaurd. And remember it's under 14's. Does any team REALLY go 10 players deep at nationals level?

And saying the big is just big.... Wow.... Just wow

Reply #488047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person saying the big is just big has obviously never seen him play. This kid is a very special talent with mobility, athleticism, passing skills and a jump shot. He is one of those very special kids that don't come along too often. Just big? No.

Centrals don't go deep at all though and will find it tough going.

Reply #488053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They beat Nunawading who people are saying are a chance

Reply #488063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF WTF are you talking about? '...Tas are state all-star teams,. All the State club teams are usually slightly changed from the original line-ups that got up through their state qualification.' WRONG!

Tas currently enter 2 teams in Boys and 2 teams in Girls.

The North, South and North-West regions play in a tri-series. The Top 2 sides qualify for Nationals - ALL 3 when Tas hosts.

None of the regions swap players. So if you're the best player in the state and your region (team) doesn't make it you miss out.

There is room for regions to add players from their region for injury or illness etc.

Reply #488068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals not deep at all, this is correct. Take away the big and they are a 4-6 team in SA period. They have some decent role players, but everything is post entry and predictable. Wish them well, but if the player in question gets into foul trouble or is injured, then its lights out. Last years 14's team from Centrals would beat this team easily!

Reply #488083 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who is the nunawading coach? Doesn't he know zones are banned at nationals? How come he has been allowed to bring this kid? Can't wait to see the Nuna parents go feral when their kid court time is reduced because the coach has put winning above team morale.
Big mistake Tamie.

Reply #488089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes agree with 4880 this kid is not just big he is one in a million with talent very strong in all aspects of the game nunawading knew what they were doing when they got him

Reply #488090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the new Nuna kid play at the School Champs in Perth last year, he would have scored 40 against our boys. He can do it all, unstoppable.

Reply #488102 | Report this post

Mimas 67  
Years ago

Saw him play for Dandy at the 14's in Darwin last year, impressive for a first year.

Reply #488108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the best teams from NSW, will any of them compete?

Reply #488112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way that Centrals are seven deep - they have two guns (probably the best two players in the state) with a very good role playing third. The "big two" never get subbed out, and those three are pretty much asked to do all the scoring and rebounding. They are by far the best group in SA though.
Centrals struggled at Classics through some early foul trouble to the big (who is way better than "just big", he has very good skills for his size), forcing him to actually sit for a bit, and tested their depth. With him out they struggled massively. Losing to ACT is a really bad sign for any team with real aspirations. They were far too good for the bottom 8 at Classics, and took care of them all easily as they should have.
I'd expect they'd go top 12 at Natioanls, but struggle after that (especially once scouted). They are MILES better than all the NSW teams for example (and the other SA teams).

The Nuna big is a huge inclusion, but shame on Nunawading. Perhaps they can play Southern Districts for the "Integrity Cup"...

Reply #488113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals are all about the big kid, the guard is a good player but take away their big and he and the rest of the team will struggle. There are no good big's in the SA 14's comp, he is miles and miles ahead of anyone. The guard for Centrals is one of about 5-6 good guards among other SA clubs that could change places.
Being 6-5 is the X factor for Centrals.

Reply #488124 | Report this post

NSW teams written off before a ball is even bounced. I'm sure the same happened before the 16's Nationals this year. U might find there is the odd kid in NSW who can play this game too.

Reply #488131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big played 12 minutes against the second team and won easily

Played 6 minutes against Sturt in summer finals and won handily

Let's take the best player out of every team and see how they go.

Reply #488140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just let the kids play. The results will happen and hopefully it will be a good tournament.

You'd expect all vic teams to take top spots but you never know with tournament play.

Anyway as a coach attending good luck to all teams, should be a great week.

Reply #488142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's kids that are 6'3" and a lot stronger than centrals big. He has way better skills though so it's not just his height it's his ability that makes him stand out.

Seen teams with 6'7" kids lose at nationals so having a tall does not equate to winning the game.

I may be wrong but looking at Dandenong the last two years I wouldn't say they were a tall team.

Reply #488143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754