Matt
Years ago

Confirmed: Sydney Kings sign Josh Childress

Apparently the Sydney Kings have made Josh Childress an offer for the upcoming season. What do people think about this potential signing ?
http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/08/dunks/54386

Topic #35110 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

It would make James Ennis look like Scott Christopherson

Reply #487556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like Sam Young did right, GWB?

Reply #487605 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well, no

Reply #487606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I heard, they were looking the resign Young. Like Daniels, he won't be the same excitement machine his predecessor was, but I think he could be an upgrade overall.

Reply #487610 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The thing with Childress is he is experienced in the international-style game, having played two seasons for one of the worlds best teams. If he is serious about it, and his body is still capable, it could be an excellent signing.

Reply #487612 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Childress is a good athlete & a pretty good defender.
This would be a good signing if it happens.

Has a player ever been paid $7.3 Million while playing in the NBL before?
Sydney can thank the Suns if this happens, as they will in essence be paying the man.

Reply #487633 | Report this post

Joel  
Years ago

The more players of this calibre that are in the league the better product it becomes.

Reply #487642 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't think he'll set the league on fire but it's great for the profile of the league to see ex/(almost current)-NBA players here.

Reply #487646 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If he comes to Sydney he would surely be the highest credentialed player in a long time. Any NBA fan would recognise his name and hopefully all of those who only support the NBA would come out of the wood work and watch some NBL. Sadly I think the only way for the NBL to grow is to take a punt and attract some retiring NBA stars like the A-League has done.

Imagine if Tmac or iverson or the like playing in the NBL, even if for only part of a season! It would generate so much interest for once!

Reply #487648 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It has been a steady influx of NBA calibre since Johnny Flynn. Have to hope it continues and I think it will for now. How many teams haven't got 2 imports yet? we may yet see more this season

Reply #487650 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It has been a steady influx of NBA calibre since Johnny Flynn. Have to hope it continues and I think it will for now. How many teams haven't got 2 imports yet? we may yet see more this season

Reply #487651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He would be the most credentialed ever NBA-wise, surely, taking over from Sam Young. How much attention he would attract would come down to marketing, he is hardly a household name here!

Reply #487652 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It started well before Jonny Flynn. There was Julius Hodge, Derrick Alston, Oriene Greene, Donta Smith, Awvee Storey, Eddie Gill etc in recent years.

Reply #487655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont be that good at nbl level. Pulled off some nice dunks as a hawk but reasons a plenty why he isnt still at that level.

Reply #487657 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I liked his Olympiakos highlight reel, but I think it comes down to two things...

Like paul said above, he needs to be game fit... If he comes in underdone, he's going to get run over and frustrated and it's not going to end up well... He also needs to have the right attitude... The NBL isn't a league where you sign a high profile player and everyone, be it team mates or opposition players, sits back and is happy to watch them play... We saw what happened to team chemistry when Sam Young last season was being a tool, it wasn't good...

Childress looks long, athletic, can get up and with that long reach, can hopefully defend and cause some big match up problems while still adding some excitement to the team... He's played internationally so it won't be a huge culture shock, either outside the US or playing style...

The ball is in his court though, I'm sure getting paid US$7mil no matter what will allow him to keep his options open... All down to the sales pitch... Beautiful city, predominantly English speaking, great weather, competitive league but still able to showcase talent...

Reply #487663 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

The big thing you have to remember about Childress, in addition to his undoubted playing abilities, is that he is different to your average NBA character.

He elected to go and play in Greece in the peak of his career, when many thought it was an unusual/crazy decision. He has a degree in Sociology from Stanford (one of the top 5 academic colleges in the States). He has a keen interest in technology and interacting with fans. As a side note, he also has a MASSIVE shoe collection!

Great signing for the Kings and one that adds a lot of versatility to the lineup when you look at Childress' ball-handling capabilities alongside the guards.

Reply #487666 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ATF suggests the signing is expected to be announced this week?

Reply #487677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat doesn't have an inside scoop, much as he'd like to make people believe it - this just was posted online http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/former-nba-scoring-machine-josh-childress-tipped-to-sign-with-sydney-kings-for-upcoming-nbl-season/story-fni2fljn-1227021669749

Reply #487680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying it's a scoop but that's just where I saw it mentioned.

Reply #487682 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hope Sydney do sign him. Great if the NBL can get more quality imports.

Reply #487686 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Now this is what the marquee player rule is for...

Great for the league.

Having said that, Childress is a shell of the player he once was for whatever reason. He never really did come back from Europe.

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

MVP candidate?

Reply #487688 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great Signing imo, imo has the potential to be a Dave Thomas type, but possibly even better.

A long athletic guy who can defend several positions and shoot the ball decent enough.

Will be interested to see how he goes, if he is in shape and switched on he is MVP candidate imo.

Great to get a guy who has started in the NBA and has career average of 10ppg, would have to be the best credentialed guy in terms of NBA to come here, only maybe Flynn would be around his mark in terms of a NBA career.

Reply #487692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Sydney using marquee or just signing within the cap?

Reply #487694 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Not sure re marquee rule,

There roster looks something like this

Perry/Cadee
Madgen/White
Childress/??
Garlep/Ellis
Brandt/Duinker

I wouldnt be that shocked if the roster before Childress only cost $700-800k so could have paid Childress 200-300k within the 1 mil cap.

To me this is the sort of move more teams should do, i dont think you need to be 10 deep in a 40 min game, the kings look to have a decent starting 5, 2 good bench players in Cadee and Ellis and rounding out the roster with young locals likely on the cheap to enable them to sign a stud import.

A large part of me thinks this is a good way to go instead of going for 10 deep with heaps of really good Aussies, even Perth last season went less depth and 2 stud imports than what they had under Bevo, typically 1 import and deep Aussie talent.

Reply #487696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Duinker is on the cheap. Being 6'11 with a jumpshot, Euro passport and good performances last season he could demand reasonable money.

Reply #487698 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

possibly true, i also dont think he would be on 'big bucks' as isnt he likely to be the back up C?

My guess is he would be on around 60-85k, as surely you wouldnt spend more than that on a back up, especially if you are aiming to add a stud import to your roster and need the $$/cap space.

Reply #487699 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Not a bad looking squad if a back up small forward is all they need they could go for another cheap local as Madgen and Ellis can both play at 3 spot.

Reply #487700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get good big guys cheap, but even if he's on $80-100K the roster pre-Childress could still be on $700-750K. Given he's already making $7mill from Phoenix I suspect that $250-300K could be enough.

Reply #487701 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If I was already getting $7m from a previous employer I would be happy with 250k

Reply #487703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would just be happy with $250K!!

Reply #487706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I havent seen alot of Brandt but could he play at PF?

Reply #487707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Official announcement here:
http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1lmi18jxcpvbg1s7dghtnrdyd9

Reply #487708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, some of the above anons are mine, didn't realise name wasn't in.

Reply #487710 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

more great news, well done Sydney!

Reply #487711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they don't lose there 1st game by 43 points this time round with the NBA star and maybe they can beat Wollongong once this season lol. Will believe it when I see it.

Reply #487712 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

what a signing

just when the breakers get there mvp back

the kings bring yet another nba talent down here

hope he can respect the league and his team and be in shape

done well with atlanta , but not so much in phoenix

Reply #487714 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Noice work!

Can't wait to see him play.

Reply #487715 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

He isn't on a marquee player salary.

Reply #487716 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Anyone know who the Wildcats 2nd signing is. I know they got back Dolla but have no idea who the second one will be.

Reply #487717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes 6 years removed from having a meaningful role in the nba and 4 years from contributing in europe. hes averaged 1 point per game over the last two years in the nba whilst struggling to get onto the court. doesn't exactly scream mvp candidate. plus like sam young is a weak jump shooter and will be left open to fire away from the 3

Reply #487718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing but I suspect another Sydney summer vacation for a low level former NBA player. He is getting 7 mill from Phoenix win lose or draw.
The pressure is now on - in particular for Cotter.
Question marks all over the front court.
Fresh out of college import point guard is a lucky dip.
Cadee is a very talented young local kid. Great signing.
Madgen needs to show me something else other than just being a ball hog with no defence. I'm growing tired of his play.
Kevin White. No comment.
I'm not sold just yet.

Reply #487720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, the Wildcats got DeAndre Daniels - Raptors second round draft pick.

Reply #487721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO one remembers Olmpiakos it seems.
From Wikipedia already.
"On August 12, 2014, Childress signed with the Sydney Kings for the 2014-15 NBL season.[13]"

Reply #487732 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Very impressive from Sydney.

Is that the last of the import billets squared away?

Reply #487737 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Very good. Now please Sydney promote this!! Doesn't mean squat if no one in Sydney knows about this. This is a great signing for the Kings and the NBL, and certainly Childress is well credentialed. However I feel the Kings will still need educate the Sydney folks about how big this signing actually is.

Reply #487738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Sydney's big import signed (which will probably be the last 'big one') here's how I think remaining import spots will stack up.

I'm hoping the Breakers still have enough wriggle room to sign a second import. Just a consistent player on both ends of the court would be nice. It's unlikely he'll be a huge name but a name that basketball fans have perhaps heard in passing would be nice.

Other than the Breakers, Cairns are still expected to sign an import PG and Wollongong will likely pick up a wing with their final spot.

United are more interesting case, Stephen Dennis is pretty much confirmed to be back (I'm unsure if it's official yet, however) but I think they may roll without a second import. They have sufficient depth already, and probably don't have that much cap space. I see them signing a young local, or a low risk/high reward guy (ie: Everard Bartlett) instead.

Reply #487742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiots here. Joey Wright said " Joey Wright has him pegged as the best NBA player to come here"
So please all of you anonymous' stfu.

Reply #487744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anstey has said they are signing another import. Read somewhere (twitter?) that he may already be out here, although Anstey said they were taking their time with selection.

Reply #487753 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wow...the Marquee rule and the shortend season having the right effect.

If only all teams could take advantage of the Marquee rule.

Hope Sydney do not blow the bank with this move.

All the best to the Kings.

Reply #487761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to hear how much Anstey is despised.
The Tigers owners or what eva they call them selves might want to rebrand the league and own it all

Reply #487763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Tim Hudson ;) "Coach Cotter also paid tribute to Head of Basketball Operations Tim Hudson for his key role in making Josh Childress a Sydney King."

Reply #487773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow...the Marquee rule and the shortend season having the right effect."

The Kings aren't using their marquee player exception though.

Reply #487777 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Paul it is probably Stephen Dennis who has been out here for a while.

Reply #487788 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That might explain some confusion. Will be interesting to see what type of player Melbourne go for as their second import.

Reply #487792 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Great news for the league. Hopefully it's taken advantage of for marketing the league and tv time

Reply #487801 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

D'Andre Daniels is 6 foot 9? wowsers. And the Raptors want him to play Small forward whilst he is here?

Reply #487867 | Report this post

ethan  
Years ago

So who is the kings marquee if it aint Childress?

Reply #487880 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who says they have to have one?

Reply #487903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope his moon boot about a month that he was spotted wearing has done its job and the Kings haven't hired another chump.

Reply #487935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be a huge disappointment. NBA fans argue and argue and call anyone from Europe that says how horrible he was there a liar and a troll.

But the fact is he was horrible in Europe. NBA fans come up with all kinds of useless nonsense about led Greek league in scoring, all Euroleague 2nd team...none of it matters one iota.

To anyone that aw him play in Europe he was one of the biggest jokes in the last 10 years that played there. He was such a gigantic scrub it was hard to even fathom.

He got top of Greek league scoring because he had a clause in his contract that he had to play a certain amount of minutes. So he always played minutes against bad teams and Olympiacos just played him against inferior teams and ran up points with easy games when his team was winning by 30 to 40 points.

He got 2nd team all Euroleague because his team made the final of the competition and because they reward players on good teams and again he had a clause in his contract about playing time. So he had to get more minutes than other players so he had more stats.

He was always left wide open in every single game. The defense never even attempted to defend him. He was essentially the American version of Ricky Rubio. They were basically the two worst players in Euroleague then.

And just as Rubio still cannot make a shot and still cannot score and now to this day he is still left wide open by all NBA teams, you see that eventually NBA teams didn't even bother to play Childress anymore, because he was no longer a young player on a rookie contract to be developed like when he was with the Hawks. Which was why he played then and why Rubio mainly plays now.

You will be disappointed. NBA fans have for years mocked and ridiculued Europeans every time they said how huge of a scrub he was in Europe, and that includes all of the NBA fans from Australia, you have all mocked Europeans too and called them liars about that.

Now you will get to know the truth yourselves. And you will get to know that you were the ones who were lying when you ridiculed those European fans for just telling the truth. Olympiacos fans still have nightmares from this guy.

And his first year in Olympiacos was so horrific words can't even describe it. He did get better in his 2nd year, but his first year was absolutely terrible. He was being laughed at in all the arenas by the fans, throwing up air balls after being left unguarded.

Somehow he fooled the NBA into giving him a big contract after playing with Olympiacos, then they threw a party when he opted out of his contract there, and then once he came back to the NBA they realized how bad he was.

There is a reason he has not been playing hardly at for years now. I don't know, maybe he can revive his career and make some kind of comeback in NBL level, but this guy has been an ex players for many years. And do not think he was doing good in Euroleague. He was awful there.

If you don't believe it, go to interbasket.net website, go to the forums, register there, go the Euroleague section and ask about him, you will be told exactly how terrible he was there, especially by the people that aw him play all the time in Greek league, and even plenty of Olympiacos fans can tell you how terrible he was.

Reply #487973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right, and CSKA Moscow are a scrub team!

Reply #487974 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I'll have some of what Anon'973 is drinking.

Sounds like a strong drink.

Reply #487976 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I wasted nearly two minutes reading #973s post.
Calling Rubio a scrub you must trolling. One
of the dumbest rants I have ever seen.

Reply #487978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Anon missed out on an import gig to Childress then?

Reply #487989 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Josh Childress on Big Sports Breakfast

http://media1.sky.apac.kitd.com/POD/1/YFzLE1.mp3

Reply #488011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG! Anon #973!! What an unbelievable bunch of jibberish! If you're going to rant, at least check your grammar.

Reply #488035 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I had to have a shave after reading that:)

Reply #488062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress' resume and highlight tapes pretty much speak for itself, highly doubt he will disappoint at NBL level. He looks every bit as athletic as Sam Young just not as big physically..
However, he is getting paid 7 million dollars by the Phoenix suns to go away!! So he can't be that great either.
How can a player be on a yearly salary that pays him more than the whole franchise that he is playing for is worth LOL!!?? Only in Australian basketball lol

Reply #488107 | Report this post

Donny  
Years ago

He led the league in scoring but everyone was laughing at how terrible he was? Tough crowds!

Reply #488245 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754