LC
Years ago

Melbourne United sign Daniel Kickert

The Melbourne United Basketball Club have today announced their most recent signing, Daniel Kickert who will be placed under the new 'marquee player ruling', implemented by the NBL at the beginning of this off-season.

Melbourne United Sign Marquee Daniel Kickert

No surprise really - been rumoured for quite some time.

Topic #35116 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Has Goulding officially signed elsewhere yet?
They have a nice team, with him or without him, but considering I haven't seen it announced that he's not returning, does that suggest that they fit him in the points/salary cap at this point?

Reply #487789 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Goulding has signed with Liga ACB in Spain.

Reply #487790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know it's meaningless, but funny that Kickert is a marquee player and Childress apparently isn't!

Reply #487793 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Do Melbourne automatically get 2 imports as well as Kickert & is his salary on top of an already full salary cap?

Reply #487794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC, where have United announced this? Nothing on Twitter, Facebook or their site.

Reply #487798 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Yer was just thinking that Isaac. Only thing I've seen today is Roy award saying it will be announced sometime soon

Reply #487802 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Roy Ward****

Reply #487803 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Must admit I don't know anything about the guy, but why isn't he playing for the Boomers at the moment?

Reply #487819 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Formal announcement is set to come.

Reply #487824 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's never quite put his best foot forward as a Boomer, but to be honest probably isn't quite at that level either. Very good shooter for 6'10, nice fundamentals, ok rebounder, has improved D a lot but he's not a stud in that area and will be tested by speed of the NBL.

Has done well against NBL level teams in Europe so should be a real contributor, but to make the most of his skill set Melbourne probably need another quality penetrator in the second import spot, which I assume they'll get.

Reply #487827 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@paul re: marquee players...

It all comes down to budget... Kings haven't spent as much on the rest of their roster, apparently were $300K under the cap, made that offer to him and he accepted, so no need to go over the cap...

Melbourne United Basketball have obviously dished out more on players like Wortho, Barlow, Dennis (although what's the delay on his signing announcement?) etc so have to dip into the marquee money to get another quality Aussie player...

Reply #487835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC:

"The Melbourne United Basketball Club have today announced their most recent signing"

If the source is Roy Ward, link to him instead of promoting your site perhaps?

Reply #487847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He does have fringe Boomer level talent. Outstanding shooter, average athlete, ferocious competitor - plus he's 6-10.

Reply #487854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seems to be a struggle lately for some blogs to understand the difference between "announced", "official", "rumoured"...

Basic fundamentals of journalism. Cite sources; don't plagiarise; don't cite something as official if it's not, purely to get clicks. If it's opinion or speculation, say that it is. People will respect you for it.

Reply #487858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC perhaps needs to realise he's a blogger and not a reporter... Seems to be a lot of this blog reports nonsense going on before the clubs and league announce signings.

If you're in the know, then you're in the know. Wait for something official instead of trying to be the first to break the news and direct hits to your blog that you hold in so high regard..

I for one am just a little sick of all these links before official announcements.. I hope it shows

Reply #487860 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Also state your name - don't simply be an anon!!

Reply #487861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert signing now official:

http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/article/id/1pl0qdubif5nh1shb5gx14n56k

Reply #487868 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Stephen Dennis been confirmed??

Great signing for the NBL to have a guy like Kickert play in it.

Well done to Melbourne, putting together a great roster.

Reply #487870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of teams look to be improving dramatically this off-season.

Reply #487871 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

A lot of teams improving....except for our beloved Sixers (at least on paper). :-(

Hoping chemistry, team work and what should be an increased defensive ability to pick up the slack.

Reply #487874 | Report this post

ethan  
Years ago

How the hell is Kickert a marquee? How much we talking? Does he take gouldings money?

Reply #487878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert had been playing in Spain and averaged 10.1ppg @ 51% (44% 3pts) and 3.9rpg this season.

Reply #487888 | Report this post

ethan  
Years ago

spanish acb or a lower league? if acb thats respect!

Reply #487890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ACB

Reply #487891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well given that LC was completely right, I appreciate the heads up. Why not have the news ASAP instead of waiting for some official announcement. Some of you must be real miserable muppets to complain about something like that.

Kickert is a likely NBL all star this year.

Reply #488198 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Pick and Roll knew Kickert had signed and the contract had been ratified, then they were right to report it, that's good journalism. Well done.

Reply #488204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doubt it

Reply #488299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, the language used stated that United had "announced" the signing. They hadn't. I think those specifics are important. We all like to find out early, but there are loads of ways to introduce that (rumoured, signed and to be announced, etc).

Reply #488694 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fair feedback on that specific point Isaac. Will ensure that the feedback is passed onto the team.

Reply #488699 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754