Jack Toft
Years ago

NH Vale Robin Williams

As you all would have heard Robin Williams unfortunately took his life. A tortured comic genius who had his ups and downs, but who brought a smile to many people through his work, which included around 80 films.

A lot of improvisation and one of my favourite stand ups was this one about golf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

This one is nearly an hour and a half long, but funny and worth a watch too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCxqbT2Ru8

Topic #35117 | Report this topic

ethan  
Years ago

He was a Magic fan, rip

Reply #487885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's very sad for his family, but if someone like robin Williams who had everything he ever wanted and needed can't find some happiness in this world without resorting to suicide it doesn't hold much hope for the rest of us does it. Understand depression can be a mental illness but it has to begin for a reason, what reason would he possibly have, leaves you bewildered. Hope he's found his happiness at the expense of such sadness for his loved ones.

Reply #487895 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Depression IS a mental illness, and by definition defies logic. So get off your high horse.

Reply #487898 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

The ignorance is strong with this Anon. Astoundingly strong.

Reply #487899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GL?....a hero of yours??

Reply #487900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many comedians, and performers/artists in general suffer from depression or other mental illness,

Reply #487904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pwned
Within the hour
16:09 13 Aug 14

Reply #487898
re: NH Vale Robin Williams
Depression IS a mental illness, and by definition defies logic. So get off your high horse.

Not on my high horse idiot, just stating a fact and acknowledging depression IS an illness but it still has to start somewhere so makes you wonder what on earth could have tripped it.

I will never understand suicide though no matter what, you only hurt those you love. Depression is a common thing has been since time began used to be known as melancholy , so it's not connected just to modern living, but more the thought patterns we have. They do say madness is only one degree from a genius and he was an absolute genius when it came to comedy.
It's a very very sad situation

Reply #487906 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Depression by definition has no reason or "trigger"

Reply #487910 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the links Jack, very sad indeed, I loved him since Mork and Mindy days, a very talented and funny man and another shocking Hollywood story for the family to live with...

R.I.P.

Reply #487913 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Probably more tragic for them and shocking for the rest of us, sorry I didn't phrase that well...

Reply #487914 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Anon, sometimes depression can have an external source - like a traumatic event or a particular situation. It would be extremely narrow minded to believe that just because Robin Williams experienced great success that he would somehow be spared experiencing a traumatic event that could trigger depression. These events can happen to anyone.

More times than not though, depression has no specific trigger at all. In most cases it begins (like most mental illness) in adolescence, symptoms begin to appear in late adolescence or during a person's 20's and can continue for a life time. And like most mental illness, it has no 'trigger' or 'reason' or specific 'starting point.'

It's very likely that Williams developed depression long before he was rich and famous. It actually has absolutely nothing to do with him having "everything he ever wanted and needed" like you said in your original post. Having 'everything' isn't going to cure cancer and it isn't going to cure depression. It is much more complicated than that and superficial things like nice houses, cars, money in the bank or whatever is not going to cure someone from depression or insulate/protect someone from developing it.

Reply #487932 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

904, comedians seem to be over represented in that area. Depression is much mis-understood and a scourge that can hit anyone. There is a strong link between drug taking and mental illness, particularly around the onset of puberty.

When you go back and look at the variety of work he did and what he achieved it is pretty amazing. Mork and Mindy would be a favourite of a lot of people. It was very funny and had a moral at the end of the episode (which is very American). I must admit I did like Dead Poets Society

Reply #487953 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Anon, not sure which part of your misguided rant was fact. Seems like all opinion to me. Not sure saying "someone like robin Williams who had everything he ever wanted" or "it has to begin for a reason, what reason would he possibly have" qualifies as fact. Don't get so defensive when someone points out your BS.

Reply #487962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robin Williams on either Letterman or one of those other late night shows on Australians:

"They're British rednecks."

Such a talented comedian.

Reply #488301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754