Anonymous
Years ago

U17 Men in World Gold Medal Game

Stayed up to watch the game - amazing - down 40 to 18 and it looked like Spain and the only question was by how much!
What unfolded was one of the all time comebacks I have ever seen.
Always felt that this was a solid age group a lot of critics saying there is no Dante or Ben Simmons.
What this team does have is a lot of very good players and a massive will to compete and win.
This, combined with the emergence of Humphries at this level has guaranteed a silver medal - Great Effort
Shame that 7 foot 1 inch Perry missed out. He displayed some serious form earlier in the year when he matched up very well against Humphries in the East Coast Challenge.
Throw in Will White and Thon Maker - wow - there is some serious young talent coming out of Australia at the moment.
Well Done

Topic #35140 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

While i didn't watch it i was checking the scores and went to bed at 3 quarter time assuming that we'd lose. What a lovely surprise to wake up to.

Looks like Humphries did it again. He's going to blow up after this. Easily the MVP of the tournament. It won't be long before all the colleges come after him. He also outplayed the highly regarded greek centre who is also seen as a future NBA prospect.

If we can get Humphries, Maker, Simmons and Mcdowell-White and possibly Adel playing in the under 19's then we'll have a very strong team.

Reply #488433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They play as a team, and I agree all that crap about no excuse, no Simmons, this group have been tremendous across the board, hope they can get the gold but silver is pretty dam awesome too, hell I think they may just pull this off, they seem to be peaking right when it counts.

As for un19s they are already picking Oceania squad, so not sure who these guys will fit in, their is a lot of talent in this age bracket of 96/97 born kids and some 98 ones too.

Reply #488438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U19

White/dufelmeier
Adel/mcveigh/dj
Simmons/bolden
T.maker/mading/m.maker
Humphries/froling or Molloy Leigh , acuil?

Pretty stacked!

Reply #488448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget molloy Leigh others are way better he's too slow

Reply #488449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy Leigh would be way out of his depth

Reply #488452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great fight back win for the team. Clutch last 2 baskets for Tom Wilson is regulation and Isaac Humphries was huge in Overtime.

I hope they can pull of a miracle against the USA team, but I don't like the height differences between the players. We gave Spain 17 offensive boards and Greece a heap 2 games ago.

PG - 5'11 - 6'4
SG - 6'2 - 6'8
SF - 6'3 - 6'9
PF - 6'5 - 6'9
C - 6'11 - 6'10

I hope they change it up a little bit and move Matt Owies to the bench and start Kyle Clark, who has had a good tournament, at SF to help the boards and better match up.

Although Diamond Stone Vs Isaac Humprhies is going to be a great contest and DJ Vs Malik Newman. Will really see where the boys are at.

Reply #488480 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A fantastic effort by the Goannas in earning silver despite falling 92-99 in the final vs USA.

Some great performances and no shame is just falling short to the USA.

Recap now up on PnR:

Australia falls to USA to take silver; Humphries, Vasiljevic named to all-tournament team

Reply #488546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The transition offense of team USA was always going to hurt us, the way they take advantage of the opposition's mistakes or lapses in defending give them free points that turn into team wins.

We shot it early and that was working, but then we needed to stay on top of them by going inside and establishing our advantage in the paint, but we seemed to stay with the shooting and they worked us out.

Bad luck in this one, we did what we could but the better athletes and better system won the gold.

Reply #488566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754