Ganymede 86
Years ago

Breakers sign Import Ebene Ibekwe

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/18qshtaf3jiqi1xep6jky4fvks

The New Zealand Breakers have finalised their roster and confirmed their second import spot for the upcoming season, unveiling 6'9" mobile big man Ekene (e-ken-ah) Ibekwe (e-bek-way) for their 2014/15 campaign.

A 206cm mobile power forward/centre, Ibekwe brings a wealth of experience at both club and national team level, having represented his parents’ country of Nigeria throughout his career, leading the team in rebounding at the 2006 FIBA World Championships and playing at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Vickerman says the man who likes to go by the name 'E-Beks’ will bring plenty of game to the club.

"I watched Ekene while in Vegas recently and immediately liked what I saw. He has a 7’6” wingspan, plays above the rim and is an elite shot blocker. He can rebound for us but also has a perimeter shot. He is aggressive at both ends of the floor and is mobile for a big, he is the player we were looking for to round out our roster and we are looking forward to having him join the Breakers family.”

Ebekwe was born and bred in Los Angeles after his parents moved to the States from Nigeria, looking for a fresh start and a new life for the family. It is a life that has seen the 29 year old travel the world thanks to his basketball playing abilities.

“I was at University of Maryland for four years in their programme and since have played all over the world. I have played in (amongst others) Israel, Germany, France, Turkey and most recently in Spain. I have enjoyed also my time in the Nigerian national team and have played at World Championships and Olympic Games. I have been back plenty of times to Nigeria to see family, I have grandparents, uncles and aunties and cousins back there so it is great to catch up each time I go back.”

Ibekwe has friends who have played in the NBL, so he does have some scouting reports.

“I have heard it is close to the NBA for its professionalism and all my friends who have played out there loved it. They told me I am going to be happy in this environment and I only hear good things about the league and the country itself, I can’t wait.”

So what sort of player can the fans expect to see in a SKYCITY Breakers singlet? Ibekwe described himself by way of preview.

“I love to get up and down the floor, I like to penetrate, I can shoot pretty well and I like to play some hard defence, blocking shots. I look to be really aggressive wherever I can and be a presence, bring energy to the team and get the crowd into it.

“I am excited to be part of the team. I heard the Breakers are a great, family-oriented team and I can’t wait to be a part of it, I want to go out there, get some wins and be successful and go as far as we can with the team.”

The news of the roster being competed coincides with the new 2014/15 season memberships going live on this Wednesday. Click HERE to secure yours!

Ekene Ibekwe
29 years old
Nigerian international (USA Born)
206cm (6’9”)
Power forward/Centre
Maryland College (USA)

Topic #35159 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Sounds like a decent signing, experienced & athletic with a huge wingspan.

Breakers team looking pretty long & athletic this season.

Reply #488651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Saw him play at the 2012 Olympic qualifiers in Venezuela. First game against the hosts he was good in a tough game, hit threes, scored inside, boarded, blocked shots. He was tall (listed at 6'11), long, athletic and mobile.

He fell out of the rotation as the international season wore on, but after that he went to Spain and averaged 7p, 5r and 2b in the ACB, shooting 53% inside and 33% outside. He had an 11p, 7r, 3b performance against Real Madrid, and 14, 6 & 2 against Brad Newley and Gran Canaria.

He also put up good numbers in Germany and dominated Turkey's second division. I don't think he played last season, but if fit he and Pledger should be the best centre combo in the league, although he is a bit foul prone and a little inconsistent from what I know of him.

Reply #488661 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Good Signing, this would have to make the breakers the favourites.
It's also great to see another shot blocker in our league.

Reply #488662 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Looks the goods. Are they bringing him off the bench?

Reply #488666 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, I see lots of foul trouble in his future...

NBL refs: they do not officiate athletic imports well on the defensive end...

Reply #488668 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed Mick. It would be nice to see the refs let big guys play.

Reply #488670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger means he can afford to get in foul trouble more. The breakers are deep down low this year with pledger, this guy, Wesley and vukona

Reply #488672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Absolutely. They've got nine legit NBL-level contributors and a guy in Bailey who will work his butt off in limited minutes and seems to be improving at a decent rate.

Reply #488673 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Will Hudson signed in Belgium.

Reply #488675 | Report this post

Necro  
Years ago

Did he play with John Gilchrist in Maryland?

Reply #488682 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Amazing the difference in their roster.

Offense = better
- Jackson creating which is what Johnson couldn't do
-Ibekwe can also score it seems
- Webster and his development (cue the haters)

Defense = massive improvement
-Jackson - best defender in the league last time IMO
-Cater - wow, opposing PGs are going to be up against it.

Rebounding = better
- We get Jackson's perimeter rebounding
- Ibekwe will snatch a lot given his 7"5ish wingspan
- Wesley averaged 9ish rebounds per game at College.

Anytime you get a team with 4 Tall Blacks players, 4 college D1 players, an NBL vet and a young and up and coming player you will be happy.

Reply #488697 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

MACDUB popping the corks already across the ditch,maybe we should cancel the season and give them the trophy..(just kidding)in all fairness they will be there when the whips are cracking.

Reply #488701 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Still hard to go by Perth (considering their home court advantage is massive).

I like United. They have a nice team.

Reply #488716 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

United will continue to underachieve I reckon.

Anstey genuinely has no clue.

Reply #488719 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Ship is in the harbour

Reply #488731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They definitely have championship potential, out of the nine 9 guys who will be playing a lot (sorry duane bailey) webster is the only one not known as a great defensive player. With jackson and abercrombies perimeter defense with the ruggedness and toughness of vukona and wesley with the shot blocking and rim protection abilities of pledger and ibekwe! Will be tough to score against this team if they can figure it out and cut down on the stupid fouls...Cant see scoring being a major issue for this team either

Reply #488732 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Further to my earlier post, i also like Sydney's chances.

Cotter is a bloody good coach

And although their current roster is a little weak, the 36ers are also only a stud import away from been right up there.

If the Leslie rumours are true theyl have a nice starting 5. Will lack depth but hey can't play 8 guys at once.

Wilson
Gibson
Leslie
Petrie
Schensher

Reply #488734 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Websters defence has improved a ton though anon. If he is the weak link in the Breakers armour I'll live with that.
Offensively he has become an elite level player capable of getting his against the best.

Looking forward too seeing if Dean Vickerman can get all the pieces to work for him.

Reply #488738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True that Mystro! He could possibly be the teams leading scorer if he carries his current form over to the season

Reply #488740 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Holy Cow...NZB look the goods right now.

Looking the best big man line up in the league.

Reply #488762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing I question with the breakers is whether they have too much depth down low? Think vukona will be playing more at the 3 this year

Reply #488771 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie & TeRangi will play the bulk of the minutes at SF. Abercrombie is an excellent 3point shooter & TeRangi is improving

Reply #488793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well he is replacing Wilkinson so he has massive shoes to fill. Is he a better fit on offence? on defence he certainly sounds like it?

I think the Cats and the Breakers rivalry is back on again.You will have

Martin and Beal against Jackson and Webster Abercombie against Daniels and Hire
Redhage and Wagstaff against Vukona
Knight and Jervis against Pledger and Ebene

Grandfinal prieview?

Reply #488796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You didn't mention Te Rangi, Wesley and Carter.

Martin & Beal = Jackson, Webster & Carter.

Daniels & Hire > Abercrombie & Te Rangi

Redhage & Wagstaff < Vukona & Wesley

Knight & Jervis < Pledger & Ebene

Reply #488805 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Do the Breakers have enough outside shooting?

Reply #488806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you look at the recent stats of their players they have decent shooting, but with Jackson and Ibekwe in for Johnson and Wilkinson they mightn't be as deadly as last season:

Abercrombie 42%
Te Rangi 42%
Bailey 37% (NZ NBL)
Carter 36%
Webster 35%
Ibekwe 33% (ACB 12/13)

Reply #488808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona and Wesley better then Redhage and Wagstaff?. Redhage and Vukona cancel eachother out or a slight edge to Vukonaand I don't know much about Wesley, but he will have to be awefully good to beatout Wagstaff who would start on almost anyother team and was the 6th man of the year.

Reply #488904 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wesley will be better than Wagstaff. Wait and see.

Reply #489023 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Wagstaff who would start on almost any other team and was the 6th man of the year."

Nope. No way

36ers - Petrie
NZ - Vukona
Melbourne - Barlow
Cairns - Trigger
Townsville - Conklin
Perth - Knight
Hawks - Forman

He would only start on one team - Sydney - over Garlepp. But even then a guy like Brandt or Duinker can play PF and would give him a good go.

People always throw that out there about Wagstaff - "he would start on any other team..he is sacrificing so much giving up a starting position and minutes by opting to stay with Perth".

I think the truth is not many other teams are interested in him as their starting PG and that is more than reasonable. I only see him shoot 3s

Reply #489024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

starting PF*

Reply #489025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You definitely make some good points there about the quality of other PFs, but Wagstaff does a lot more than shoot threes.

He is a strong individual defender, an outstanding team defender, another ballhandling option, a capable post scorer, a good offensive rebounder, a good passer, a very good shooter and most importantly a guy who'll do anything to help his team win.

I'm sure most other teams would want him, I don't know whether he'd start, but given how deep most NBL teams are these days that doesn't really matter as eight or nine guys play a big role.

Reply #489028 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"He is a strong individual defender, an outstanding team defender, another ballhandling option, a capable post scorer, a good offensive rebounder, a good passer, a very good shooter and most importantly a guy who'll do anything to help his team win."

in my opinion you would pick Vukona, Petrie, Redhage or Barlow before him for the same reasons you just listed

Reply #489029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not questioning that (Worthington and Walker would be in a similar ballpark too), just saying he does a lot more than shoot threes.

Reply #489035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wagstaff is pretty well regarded within the league, I believe. There are a few who think the Cats are tougher when he's on court than on the bench even if he's not starting because of Redhage.

Reply #489038 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wagstaff definitely has a lot more strings to his bow than just perimeter shooting. I don't know about starting or not, but he's very much a talented player. I think people sometimes underestimate that because they focus on some of the less sociable aspects of his play.

Reply #489049 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wagstaff is far from a scrub but not in the same class as Barlow, Vukona, Petrie, Redhage, Worthington etc in my opinion.

Reply #489055 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Bastards keep points rating him like he is though... curse you NBL HQ!

Reply #489060 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong I would want him on my team if the $ were right. Most teams would. He is one of those glue guys and is very valuable to that Perth team.

Just think he is one of those inbetween guys - not quite a starter PF and yet too good to be a bench PF.

I just wouldn't underestimate the quality of PFs we have in this league.

Different story if he was a pure SG - as it's something teams are always after.

Reply #489147 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd start Wagstaff over Redhage this season, he started a couple of games last season and played well in them all I think. Redhage's game seemed to decline (just look at his dream team stats for last season dropping something like $120k in value) I like a hungrier Redhage coming off the bench.

Sounds like a good pickup for the Breakers and looking forward to season tip-off

Reply #489176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754