Global Love
Years ago

Taipans Sign Second Import - Scottie Wilbekin

Stumbled across it on hoopshype.com this morning. Undrafted out of Florida, has an NBA out clause until December. Not much more on him there.

Topic #35167 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. Very good shooter.

Remember watching him in the NCAA Tournament.

Special player.

Reply #488800 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, bloody good resume. NCAA Tournament regional MVP, SEC player of the year, SEC defensive first team. Known as a closer too.

Between the high Aussie dollar, NBA out-clauses and some great publicity from the Wildcats' efforts with Ennis our league seems to be in a great place right now.

Reply #488803 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hoops Hype seems to be the website that breaks the news first.Well done GL>

Reply #488804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the best defenders in college basketball last season, if not the best.

Huge pick-up. Great leader.....exciting season coming up.

Reply #488807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

straight into MVP consideration.. this guy can flat out ball!

Reply #488809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow i'm impressed

Reply #488811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a massive pickup. He's a guy I would tune into the NBL to watch.

Reply #488814 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Awesome college career it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
Also Cairns have got two guys fresh out of college this year.
Think it will be a dogfight for the four this year

Reply #488817 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Impressive signing for Cairns if he is the real deal I can realistically see them push for top 4.

Reply #488821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson out and Wilbeken in.
Well done Cairns

Reply #488825 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Didn't Gliddon have a bee in his bonnet about staying with the Taipans to develop as a PG?

Now they have 4 PG's??

Reply #488831 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Great player will be very good in our league once he settles in.

Just got to keep him on the stright and narrow...had a bit of a party boy rep in college.

Reply #488835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbeken, Gliddon, Maynard, Bruce.. Where is all the time for these guys to come from?

Bruce going to be pushed back to end of bench playing trash time?

Reply #488837 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Gliddon should stick to shooting guard imo.

Reply #488839 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

No way Gliddon plays Point Guard.

Reply #488842 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I'll think you'll find that all 4 of them will rotate between 1 and 2.

Reply #488849 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

This is the one Cairns has been waiting for for years and years. Scrappy, hard, determined that kinda tough-guy swagger. If this guy is an indication of the whole team's character and attitude this season, Cairns fans have a lot to smile about.

They've been soft for far too long

Reply #488856 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Need to give this guy the keys. Everything about him epitomises what the Taipans franchise 'says' they are about.

Reply #488860 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I remember reading that Gliddon was only re-signing because Fearne promised him the starting PG role.

So is Wilbekin playing off the ball?

Reply #488867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was that he'll play more PG. Given most teams run a dual PG front I imagine that's how it will work.

Reply #488872 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

No offence to Bruce, but 'pushed back to end of bench playing trash time?' is exactly his position description. Unless he can develop some swag.

Reply #488878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan who's pumped for Jackson return, and has marvelled at the success of Perth and Sydney with their import small forward signings, I think this is signing of the season. Cairns - who aren't lavish spenders by any meaning of the word - have signed a major contributor to a team that has made final four run. This definitely bumps the Taipans, who otherwise were destined for the bottom of the table, to a playoff contender.

Reply #488885 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bruce's signing as a full-time player was a money saving technique.

He will probably get the same minutes as when he was DP, which is fair enough. Lucky to have a DP position in the first place IMHO.

And Gliddon at PG is just stupid. Is Gliddon gravitating to the PG position for future chances at Boomers (once Gibson moves on). Dare I say he will have the skill. Need SGs just as much as PGs in the Boomers.

Reply #488888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see Fearne following the latest trend trying to run a lot of Dual-PG type offences (aka Phoenix, UConn, Chicago, Florida, etc). Phoenix have gone all in with this now signing Thomas and drafting Ennis and having 4 legit PG's.

Gliddon isn't a lights out shooter as a two-guard and wants to handle the ball more. The other 3 Cairns guards are PG's . The heights of the 4 of them are 6'2, 6'3, 6'3, 6'4. So I can see them running switching sets and just whoever has the ball pushes it up the floor and starts the offence.

The old positions of dedicated PG and dedicated SG are disappearing with the improvement of Forwards being able to shoot the ball and a lot of pick and pop type offences.

This is a great signing for Cairns. Wilbekin is a winner and should do well.

Reply #488905 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That trend was happening in the NBL quite some time ago!

Reply #488907 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interestingly, I think that trend is going to be less widespread in the NBL with tighter reffing. NZ, Perth, Melbourne and possibly Townsville look like they're going with only three small guards and will be using swingmen more in the two spot.

Reply #488912 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think he'd be gravitating towards PG under pressure from his agent for international opportunities (boomers / Euro / etc). Good size for a PG but doesn't have good size for a 2, so on paper he already looks better, and hides his lack of shooting.

Same reason why Exum is being touted as a PG despite not having the skills to play the position.

Reply #488913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bledsoe has not re-signed just yet and if he does, Dragic will be looking for max next season.Noway Phoenix is giving two max deal to both of them. There already rumors regarding Dragic going back to Houston.

Reply #488916 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

NBL is BACK!

Reply #488941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With every signing I see I push the 36ers further down my power rankings

Reply #488947 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce starts uni this year, Cairns Post today has him talking about life after basketball so I think he's being realistic about his chances of progressing beyond his fringe player position in a smaller team.

Reply #488959 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wow I had no idea Wilbekin was that good.

I have been watching UConn games to see Daniels play and one game was The Gators Vs Huskies in the Final Four.

Wilbekin did not have a good game and looked out of sorts.

Of course I realise this was only one game.

Is Wilbekin under the marquee rule?

Reply #488960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce is in the last year of his degree.. Completed years of his bachelor of sports science when he was playing in Ballarat. He is a better player than Maynard, just needs confidence.

Reply #488974 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

NBL just keeps getting better this year.

Reply #488976 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Marquee rule only applies above the salary cap, I dont think the Taipans will be close enough to hitting the cap to worry about it.

Reply #488981 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Marcus Camby - u got a link to that game??

Reply #488988 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

RMQ I got it off torrents.

http://kickass.to/ncaa-b-2014-mm-f4-sf-05-apr-connecticut-v-florida-720p-t8984926.html

Sorry if this is inappropriate, feel free to delete.

Reply #489118 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754