Anonymous
Years ago

Quality of imports now back to 90's standard

It seems the NBL has finally got things right and is attracting a really high quality of imports again like in the 90's. Add to that the quality of Aussies/Kiwis too

NZB
Jackson - former MVP
Ibekwe - Olympian

+Abercrombie - Olympian
Pledger - Olympian
Vukona - Olympian

MELB
Dennis

+Kickert - Euro/Boomer
Barlow - Euro/Boomer Olympian
Wortho - Euro/Boomer Olympian

PER
Daniels - NBA Draftee
Beal

+Martin - Boomer
Wagstaff - Boomer
Knight - Boomer
Redhage - Boomer

CNS
Wilbekin - NCAA Tournament South Region MVP
Craig

+Loughton

TSV
Gladness - NBA
Conklin

+Markovic - Euro/Boomer
Steindl - Boomer

WOLL
Ervin - former MVP

+Forman - Boomer

ADEL
Wilson
+ rumoured to be CJ Leslie

+Schenscher - NBA/Boomer
Gibson - Olympian
Crawford - Olympian
Petrie - Boomer

SYD
Josh Childress - NBA
Perry

+Madgen - Boomer
Brandt - Boomer

Most talent we've seen in a long long time and I'm sure I have missed some in there as well...

Topic #35168 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

In hindsight, bringing in role player imports to save money almost cost the league!

Glad that teams now want to bring in stars and are willing spend money to make money.

Reply #488822 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Thats true but adelaide will probably still get poxy ass montreal

Reply #488823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The quality of imports has been very high since the Aussie dollar rose a few years ago. The step up this year is a lot of teams are signing what looks like two high-quality imports, not one stud and one role player.

Reply #488824 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Heard something about Jamar Wilson naturalising so we can get CJ Miles.. any truth behind that?

Reply #488826 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

*Cj Leslie

Reply #488827 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"+ Alex Loughton"

Errrrr.... WTF?

Reply #488828 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

RMQ - the bringing in of role-playing imports had little to do with saving the league.

It started during the peak standard era of late 90s early 2000s when, for the first time, the NBL had a large number of quality Aussies to spend money on, plus the Aussie dollar was worth little in $US.

It's a yin and yang sort of thing, now we have 15-20 high-quality Aussies playing overseas and the Aussie dollar is strong there is a lot more money available for imports.

Reply #488829 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The decline in some of the euro leagues and there inability to pay players has enhanced the reputation of the Australian leagues.Dont hear too many imports complaining about being out here.

Reply #488830 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

GWb thats what I was thinking might happen... Jamar been here long enough… Ohhh if that was true…. No talk of DJ ever again with CJ in.. Please basketball gods make it so,,,,

Reply #488832 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

@GWB - Poxy ass Montreal? You sir, have won ass of the year! I suggest you go and watch the dude play, at least once, before making comments like that..

By the way, I'm loving how your professional career is panning out!

Reply #488834 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think you're being a bit liberal with Boomer and Olympian labels though...

I saw a tweet overnight re: Wilson naturalising, but it was in relation to playing for Finland? Not sure if that was a pisstake or not?

Reply #488836 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Yes it is liberal with the boomers terms, if they played in the Sino series they are hardly 'boomers'

Reply #488840 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Even if Wilson Naturalised would we have the player points to sign an Import?

Reply #488841 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Do melb have enough points to sign a second import? Probably doesn't matter they look stacked already

Reply #488844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a whole other conversation about my Boomers notations.

Do you discount the guys who play in the Sino challenge? Do you discount the guys who played against the Greek 3rd team? Do you discount the guys who won a Commonwealth Gold competing against India and Fiji?

Come on now...

Reply #488854 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Should give us a good standard this year

Reply #488869 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If you're going to count Boomers series which mean nothing against second rate opposition, then you left Cadee off the list.

Reply #488882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson was an NBAer as well if I'm not mistaken.

Reply #488886 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

If you haven't played a major tournament or qualifying series.. you're not a boomer in my eyes.

So thats Oceania Champs, World Cup or Olympics.. stuff that matters. Everything else is comparing boy scouts to the army just because they wear the same colours.

Reply #488890 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Current NBL players who have represented Boomers at a major tournament are:

Gibson
Crawford
Schenscher (hasn't but has played NBA)
Worthington
Barlow
Kickert
Redhage.
D Martin
Markovic

There are a handful of others already listed who have played in Sino series cups etc.
Anyone I missed?

Reply #488893 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you're including Oceania then there's also Petrie, Forman, Holmes, Loughton and Harvey (although he may not be in the league this year).

And then of course there's Vukona, Abercrombie, Webster, Pledger, Te Rangi and Anthony who have repped NZ at a major tourny.

Reply #488897 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Someone on The Roar wrote an article about the quality of the imports. Interesting read.

Reply #488899 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

I think calling someone a Boomer should also be restricted to the last 4 or 5 years. When you extend past that you get well and truly into "hasbeen" territory. I mean, calling Schensher an NBA calibre player today is a stretch but a year or two fresh out of the league.. maybe.

Reply #488900 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

I would say you can call yourself a Boomer if you have played in a major tourny for them from 2010 onwards and there is some remote chance that you could become one again. If you don't meet those criteria it should be "former boomer" for those who did play in something major. Everyone who played in 'nothing' series should be considered just in the top half of the league at the time it happened because lets face it.. the Boomers have scraped the barrel a few times in those contests.

Reply #488901 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ideally the distinction would be Boomer and Boomers squad member, but some of the squads picked in recent years have included almost anyone who has been available!

Maybe we need to turn to John Howard - major champ rep is a core Boomer and warm-up series is a non-core Boomer!

Reply #488908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot Cadee - flat out forgot so great pick up!

Reply #488973 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Maybe, just maybe this coming NBL season will be the best we have ever seen, bring it on, I am pumped!

If the competition can drive home a decent following, some decent media and quality games with highlights shown on free to air TV, we could see the expansion plans work next time...

Reply #489204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports are getting better but Aus locals aren't as the best ones are in Europe so we are still way behind 90s.

Reply #491501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754