jr189
Years ago

Hawks set to announce Marquee player

Apparently Hawks are close to announcing a marquee import. Could be announced as soon as this week.

Anyone have more details ?

Topic #35173 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Deal was done last Friday but holding off on an announcement. Could be there biggest signing in history.

Reply #488991 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

This is further to the Ervin signing?? Who is bankrolling the hawks to fund this??

Reply #488992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell....new owner.

Reply #488993 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Happy Days,

The new owners tweet this morning would suggest it wasn't a done deal on Friday.

Reply #488994 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Saw the owner tweet about it last week.Will find the tweet.

Reply #488995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is it...

Reply #488997 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/jamesspenceley/status/501826496978096129

Reply #488998 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Becoming all about the money.... money, money…. It's not about the Team Ta Team….. You can buy your fans now, you can buy your fans now…..

Reply #488999 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

So they've gone from spending under $700k to over $1M?

After the horrible crowd numbers last season?

I get it new owner with money wants to win some games.

I guess you need to take a risk to move but risks can make you move two ways.

Reply #489000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 thing I have learnt as a sports fan over the past 35 years...success brings fans which translates to dollars. Generally you have to spend to get that success. Wish my team was doing it.

Reply #489002 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

more great news.

Reply #489003 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Hope the hawks do well.

They have always been well coached so hopefully with the correct resources on the floor aswell they will be tough.

Reply #489005 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I thought my eyes weren't deceiving me:
James Spenceley @JamesSpenceley · Aug 15

@wollongonghawks big news coming next week, was up at 3am and couldn't sleep it's that big !

Reply #489010 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Apparently Daniel Joyce is going to sign with the Hawks or Kings according to the Canberra Times.And no he is not the Marquee signing.....

Reply #489011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel j0yce back in the NBL. Can't see why Sydney would want him, but could see him in Wollongong, but a PG who is a career SEABL shooter at sub 40% and sub 30% for 3 point land doesn't really excite.

But if he comes under the points cap and plays for hardly win $$'s I can see a team would take him as their 10th player and training bait.

Reply #489015 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Really Joyce? Sorry but can't say he is in the convo of best shooting guards in SEABL.

Joyce Avgs: 12.3 pts per game @ 40%FG & 20%3pt with FTS @ 57%

Thats before we ge to the number of TO's etc.

I will mention that the above stats are from SEABL website and in no way meant to offend or put slight on anyones charcter & i'm sure he is a really nice bloke! (Don't want to get sued!)

I can think of a number of other aussies ahead of him who arent currently on NBL rosters tat have had stronger SEABL seasons.

Naburgs, Sobey, Herbert, Burdon, Fisher, Wright, Al Macdonald.

Reply #489016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish the nbl could get a naming rights sponser! Also ten and one can have a few adds here and there. Any one has the chance to win it

Reply #489017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the Downtown podcast Anstey said the second import they're looking to sign is 'close to making the NBA', and alluded to the Ennis/Daniels Perth model. If this comes to fruition on top of the Hawks signing it's shaping up as the most hyped group of imports in living memory.

Reply #489021 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sounds like it will be an epic year for NBL playing talent.

Just a shame the 36ers seem to lack the real impetus of the other sides.

Reply #489022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the 36ers moved too early with their signings considering what other teams have done.
Going to be exciting to watch the other teams playing us so that should be good, lets hope we can do a wollongong and punch above our weight as we still have quality players.

I always thought it was silly to have signed players before the summerleague as you close doors on players that may be keen to come to AUS.

Reply #489032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At a coaching clinic Brett Brown and Chris Anstey alluded to the fact they were in discussions about helping each other out as far as imports go.

Reply #489056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read on a forum hawks r getting a small point guard how played in nba summer league under 6 foot

phil pressey bos
john Roberson net
jahii carson hou
yuki togashi dal
Brandon Jefferson den
kiwi gardner gsw
Anthony Ireland lakers
david stockon sun
pierre Jackson phi
shane larkin ny
josh akogron d league

Reply #489058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps the anstey/brown deal will land Jerami Grant
A player that the 76's are looking to stash somewhere to develop his game a bit !!

Hopefully there can be some closer ties for NBA teams to stash players here for a season to refine their game.

Reply #489059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 6 foot import point guard would be a terrible signing since they already have an under 6 foot import point guard...

Reply #489064 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

i reckon it would be Shane Larkin, defs not pierre Jackson did his acl

Reply #489066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney can't afford to pay a bloke to shift all his things and find housing around the area as it's way to expensive.. Which is why they always sign local talent as 9th and 10th men. Agree much better players around in seabl than joycey but sydney like I said dont have the luxury of bringing people from interstate on little contracts.

Reply #489073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sav returning as marquee.

Reply #489075 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Pierre Jackson has ruptured his achilles and been signed by the 76ers, so he won't be playing in the NBL.

Shane Larkin was a first round pick only last year and is under contract with the Knicks.

Reply #489079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peyton Siva released by Pistons and signed by Magic but has already been told he won't be on the roster and stashed in D-League on a non-guaranteed contract and definitely be released.

Look for him to be the signing. Hawks on a roll if they get him

Reply #489083 | Report this post

dugg  
Years ago

david anderson..

Reply #489086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper Ware?

5'10', played in summer league and went to the same school as Ennis

Reply #489088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the first I have heard of Brett Brown looking to stash imports in Australia, but if true could make sense as Philadelphia drafted so many of them in the second round.

If it happens, I hope it's not Grant as United don't need another Forward. They really need a 2 Guard to go with Dennis and Jordan Macrae would be awesome, although he dominated summer league so might not be stashed (although he does need to bulk up). KJ McDaniels could be another seeing as he isn't big enough for SF and could use a season as a SG and try and develop a 3 point shot to go with his crazy athleticism.

Anyway, I hope the rumour is true and that the league gets boosted.

Reply #489090 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

All these name makes sense based on the 'guard theory' however if the ownerr can't sleep the signing is so good you'd think it'd be a well known player??

Reply #489103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014 NBA Draft picks, Second round are here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014-actual-draft

Reply #489105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam young?

Reply #489109 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wow great news for the Hawks.

Imagine what Gordie can do with a gun Marquee import.

This season is going to be great.

Top seed is really up for grabs, Perth may be no certainty.

Reply #489119 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The one concern I have though is the new owner of the Hawks was proported to be worth $22m net.

I don't know about you guys.....but if I had $22m in worth, I would still be concerned about exposing >$1m + Luxury tax when my crowd is capped at the 2K mark.

Reply #489120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the two fastest guards in the league driving and leaving open the league's best 3 point shooter in Foreman plus Tim Coenraad who looked amazing in the pre season game (34 points) against EKU and add in Ballenger who is still nailing shots.

this could be a a serious team.

might have to change my predictions in the other thread :)

Reply #489121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Marcus Camby

I hope he isn't the type of guy to just throw money at it and not set the team up for success.

anyone closer to the team who can comment ... is this guy legit or just going to blow money on it ?

Reply #489124 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Hawks Achilles heel has been rebounding in recent times and the situation has only become worse since Sav retired. Team next year may have better depth but rebounding will probably still bite them in the arse when it matters. May well score easily but not a lot of stopping power in the line up so far. When the rumours started about a big signing I was hoping for an Ennis type player who could rebound and defend but still play on the perimeter and handle the ball a bit if needed.

Reply #489125 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Lots of names been thrown around, does anyone actually have any solid info?

Reply #489128 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Rebounding is a big problem, look how Perth exposed them in the SF.

How can Forman, Davidson (partial year) and Coenraad come up against the front lines of NZB, TSV, PER, SYD and MEL?

Reply #489130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Majok, if available, would improve their rebounding. Averaged a double double at Ball State. Don't know the Hawks exact player points situation but as a college returnee he'd be rated a 3 ... not sure if they could fit him in on top of an import.

Reply #489132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i reckon it's a big!

Reply #489137 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Imagine what Gordie can do with a gun Marquee import."

You don't have to imagine hard, he had one last season!!

Reply #489145 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Agree Paul but last year he only had a marquee import at one end of the court. I was kind of hoping that this announcement was for a player that would as classy as Rotnie but a lot more versatile.

Reply #489150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Majok Majok was a walking double-double as a senior at college last season. Would be a great asset off the bench for most NBL teams - but he is not a marquee signing...

Reply #489151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks could be OK with even Lance Hurdle or someone like that. They don't need anyone crazy, though that would be great for the league obviously.

Reply #489155 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Disagree Isaac. They don't need anyone crazy to do well. team work and Gordie will see to that. BUT they have huge deficiencies in rebounding and defence that would need to be addressed if they are to seriously considered as challengers to the top teams. The problem they have is that the positions in which rebounding and interior D could be addressed by a gun import, the 4 and 5 spots are pretty much filled at this time (subject to Davos fitness) while there is shortage at the combo guard spot. The only way the obvious deficiencies can be improved now is for a long wing who can rebound, defend and play the one at a pinch to be found. Not sure that type of player exists outside the NBA. They need the second coming of Mike Jones is probably the best way I can describe the player.

Reply #489158 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #489161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Majok Majok was a walking double-double as a senior at college last season. Would be a great asset off the bench for most NBL teams - but he is not a marquee signing..."

LC it was never suggested he'd be the marquee, just that he'd help improve their rebounding.

Reply #489186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Casper ware was on the radar at this point

Reply #611346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754