Anonymous
Years ago

NBL teams and points cap totals

With most roster's being completed I was just checking out the points cap looking at which clubs are getting close to it. I was just wondering what a few of the new players are rated and how some clubs can fit everyone in.

Wildcats (2 points left and 1 spot to fill) - masters of the loyalty and multi-year contracts to get discounts.

United (8 points left and 1 import spot) - this gets interesting. I have assumed that Barlow and Kickert at 10 point players. If not then they have more space. Also, this assumes Corletto is still a 7 point player as per the list. Can anyone confirm if he has been downgraded? If Barlow is a 9 and Corletto a 6 then they will be able to get the big name import, if not I think they have blundered.

Crocs (13 points and 1 local spot) -

Kings (20 points left and 1 local spot) - this assume Brandt is a 7 and Duinker is a 5. Even if they are more, they have a lot of points left. Could they get a big name Aussie on to their list?

Hawks (22 points left - 1 import and 1 local spot) - have more points than spots available.

Adelaide (26 points left - 1 import and 1 local) - have more points than spots

Cairns (9 points left - roster full)

NZ (8 or 9 points left - roster full)

So basically Perth and United are the only teams close to hitting the points cap. You have to wonder why the NBL keeps this thing in place seeing so many teams will be under it and yet players use it as an excuse not to return (i.e. Ingles and Barlow).

Will also be interesting to see how those teams close to the points can finish in the ladder at the end of the year.

Topic #35175 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

This just shows how f%^*ing stupid the points cap is.

Townsville, for example, are light years ahead of last year's squad, yet have 13 points left and will in all likelihood sign a minimum salary kinda guy who will only eat up a couple of points.

They will probably end up 10 points under the cap.

You're rating guys based on past production, so older guys ALWAYS end up overrated via this system.

This is why a salary cap - soft or hard - is what you need: guys get PAID for a combination of past production, present form, and future potential.

Reply #489046 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Melbourne have 10 left. Have seen it discussed before and clarified as:

Kickert 10
Dennis 10
Barlow 9
Worthington 9
Walker 7
Corletto 7
MacMillan 4
Tomlinson 3
Odigie 1

Reply #489050 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

United are rumored to be near securing their second import so they must have at least 10 points up their sleeve.

Reply #489051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always though a points system was handy in juniors, to even up basketball competitions, but in the NBL money talks so I just don't see the reason why they persist with such a ridiculous rule?

Reply #489061 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

re: Kings... Brandt is a 3, as standard out of college value... Duinker would be a 9 (as well as Kickert from United) as that's the standard value for a local player coming back from OS...

Perry* {10} / Cadee {5}
Madgen {10} / White {3}
Childress* {10} / D. Joyce {1?}
Garlepp {7} / Ellis {3}
Brandt {3} / Duinker {9}
Total = 61

Reply #489063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Sydney go after a bigger named player with the points than say Daniel Joyce?

Use the 10 points and try and get an Anatloy Bose as a wing scorer or a big guy like Luke Nevill, AJ Ogilvy or Julian Khazzouh to parter with Brandt.

Cadee, Duinker and Ellis as the best bench options look a little weak.

Reply #489076 | Report this post

vic  
Years ago

Corletto is a 7 but he has already played 10 years at the tigers so under loyalty hes only worth a 3 7-4=3

Reply #489099 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I thought the loyalty discount is for consecutive years with a club? I would imagine Corletto wouldn't qualify for a loyalty discount for being away from Melbourne for so long.

Reply #489101 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Makes a mockery of the loyalty discount if Melb can use it on Corletto. Long service leave entitlements for any other business are based on consecutive years, otherwise they are reset.

Reply #489106 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Corletto being a 3 is the most stupid thing I've heard on this board all week...

It's for consecutive years at the same club, not transferable...

As for Kings, I've been hoping that they would make the most of the available points, but either they couldn't attract any decent locals up to the 10pts available, or they can't/won't go over the cap and have chosen to spend the rest of the cash on Childress...

I'm not wholey against that approach (it being SOJ aside) seeing as how it would be a back up role behind Childress, but would have loved to have been able to get a bit deeper with someone like Toly or even deeper and be able to play Brandt at the 4 with someone like Jules, both I think have come back recently on holidays, but I think both are pretty locked in overseas :(

Reply #489111 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"and yet players use it as an excuse not to return"

They use it to hide their true excuse - the inferior money.

But naturally they don't want to come out and say "the money isn't good enough so I'm staying Europe" so they throw the points cap excuse out there.

Ironic that Barlow returned to the league the year the marquee rule kicked in. Also he is coming off averaging 3.4ppg in Poland (his bargaining power over there wouldn't have been the best).

Fact is that the points cap doesn't affect European-based Australians.

All NBL teams wouldn't hesitate to snap up a 10 point Australian in Europe in place of an import i.e. Motum, Ingles, Newley, Goulding

Reply #489146 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Kickert might be a 10 rather than the usual 9 as the designated marquee player for United.

Reply #489148 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, making the points cap the scape goat is rubbish... It's not perfect but Euro-based players getting paid more than half the NBL's salary cap blaming the points cap is ridonkulous...

re: Kickert - Aren't the Points Cap and the Marquee rule apples and oranges though? Using Jules and AJ as examples, they both came back as 9s and are marquee level quality, I don't see why they'd change that rule unnecessarily? Would be good for some clarification though... I liked when Howie was in charge, they had that flash player signing tracker and included their points value, or he'd actually reply on the twitter to a query as to a specific players value...

Reply #489149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Howie was quite accessible. Clubs and the league would do worse than posting on Hoops even if they adopted a policy of not being drawn into discussions. Similar to how SA clubs post intake and job announcements.

Reply #489154 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Looking at how many points some teams have still got, (as mentioned by the OP - Sydney 20 with 1 spot and 'Gong with 22 points, 2 spots) I think its safe to say the Points cap system is not stopping players from playing in the NBL

Reply #489156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points cap changed this year with the loyalty discount being added. That's why there are so many points left over not because they are signing lower grade players.

Reply #489157 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corletto has never played a single game of football for Melbourne United so no loyalty bonus there.

Reply #489381 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So, anyone changing around their power rankings after this flurry of import signings?

Reply #489402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754