Vic Parent
Years ago

VC Finals 2014

With one round to go in VC 2014 it's a good time to start the predictions.
G-12 KNOX
B-12 HAWTHORN
G-14 BULLEEN OR DANDY
B-14 HAWTHORN
G-16 BULLEEN
B-16 KNOX
G-18 MELBOURNE
B-18 BLACKBURN

based on win loss record it looks like the Hawthorn Boys Program is developing nicely under D-Mac and Darren Perry is continuing the Bulleen dominance.

Topic #35183 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong boys U18 are sitting on top of VC ladder. They have no kids in NITP programs and are constantly overlooked. I dont get how people dont rate them

Reply #489223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champion team V team of champions?

Reply #489238 | Report this post

Vic parent  
Years ago

Could be Dandy but thought they had a number of bottom age kids playing.
Blackburn have been strong 97/98 age group for 6 seasons and add VicM big.
Could also be Melb or DV given classic results. Good open comp

Reply #489240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong has a kid in the Vic Country NPP I believe. I think you will find that they are rated very highly in the u18 men's VC competition, by their peers anyway.

Reply #489314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd change the un16 g to dandy over bullpen, evenly matched but think dandy might have the edge.

Reply #489327 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I wouldn't overlook Southern Pen in the 18 girls. They beat Melbourne in the semi final of the classic. Capable of winning VC if they play like that again.

Reply #489368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sthn Penn have some hurdles to get over but are right in the mix to take it out

Reply #489370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u16 girls has opened up with Sandy qualifying, maybe the only team that matches up favourably with Bulleen.

Otherwise, Bulleen has the rest on toast.

Reply #489499 | Report this post

VIC PARENT  
Years ago

VJBL has advised clubs that they will be out in force during the u12 finals with a group of zone buster officials that will issue one warning to the offending coach who plays a zone and if they do it again they will incur a loss. Be interesting to see if they follow through on it as the Nunawading 12 girls coach has blatantly and literally said "bad luck" to anyone who has complained this year

Reply #489599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ya gonna call?

Reply #489601 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Should be warning and then tech foul coach.

Reply #489603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The VJBL officiating is a bloody disgrace. Maybe they should look at how inconsistent their VC and VC Res officials are before they try this on. If they can fix the miserable inconsistent officiating first then maybe they can progress to zone busting! Why waste everyone's time on something like zone busting when they can't even make a call inside the key when defenders continue mauling post players?

Reply #489604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no allowance in the VJBL rules to take a game away from a coach or team so the claim made above is clearly made by an idiot.

Reply #489690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Which post woould that be exactly anon?

Reply #489691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Vic Parent's" post. Who ever that is has no idea of the operating rules.

Reply #489700 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think predictions for U18s men are right. I agree that this Dandenong side is constantly overlooked but I think they lack the firepower that Blackburn and Melbourne have. Just think back to the Classic Bronze medal match when Blackburn were without 2 ECC (East Coast Challenge) kids and they went down by a few points. Melbourne is Melbourne (who always have been right near the top in this age group) and Dandy only beat them by two without three of their four state players.

Diamond Valley, in my opinion, were incredibly lucky to make it to the Classic Gold Medal Match and will not be in the top 2. They shot freakishly well against Blackburn in the Classic Semi and it is hard to visualize them repeating such an effort. Additionally, they look in disarray at the moment, with recent losses to Melbourne 2 and Blackburn, as well as a pounding at the hands of Dandenong.

So, all in all I can see Melbourne playing Blackburn in the Final, with in my opinion Melbourne being the current favourite. However, the Blackburn vs Melbourne Qualifying Final this Friday should shape the finals series.

And remember these are my opinion, I am not trying to offend anyone. It is clearly a tight, tense age group, and anyone can beat anyone on their given night.

Reply #489728 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Regarding the refs: I actually think this season has been one of the best officiated seasons in my experience.

Reply #489736 | Report this post

VIC PARENT  
Years ago

489700 nice language first of all.
I have seen an email sent from VJBL as a result of a meeting held last Wednesday where all delegates voted on this issue. Even a fool is wise before they type as they say. Must be from the offending club or maybe even the offending coach that made the classic and every other game he has coached a mockery.
Sounds like you have done your homework hence the "bad luck" stance you have taken at least two times that i have witnessed.Looks like they got you at last

Reply #489740 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

489700- check this out

Good Afternoon All,

As per the meeting last night please pass the below information on to your Under 12 Coaches and Team Managers

The Victorian Junior Basketball League will be appointing Zone Busters at some venues for the VJBL Finals and they will be instructed to implement the 'No Zone Rule'.

Below is the ‘No Zone Rule’ that all coaches were made aware of at the start of the season and this is the rule that will be enforced throughout all VJBL Under 12 Finals.
PENALTIES FOR PLAYING ZONE: (Classification Game in Grading and All Finals)
• First Offence: Automatic loss to the offending team.
• Second Offence: Automatic loss and a $100 fine will be issued.
• Third Offence: Automatic loss, a $100 fine will be issued and the coach will be reported.
Please Note: When Zone Busters are in attendance they will issue the offending team with a warning, then apply the penalties as above if necessary.
If a 'Zone Buster' is in attendance they will follow the following guidelines.
Zone Busters Guidelines:
• Upon Arrival, they will inform the Referee/Venue Supervisor that they are present at the venue as the VJBL zone buster.
• At no point is any member of the team apart from the Coach, Assistant Coach or Team Manager allowed to approach the Zone Buster.
• The zone buster will actively watch Under 12 Games and if they believe a Zone is being played, they will video tape the defence where required
• If they believe the defensive team is playing a zone, during the next timeout or dead ball situation, they will introduce themselves to the offending coach or assistant coach and give them their official warning and hand them the information sheet which will explain the rule above, that the next offence is an automatic loss of game.
• Once they have issued the official warning, they will return to viewing the game from the sideline and record any further incidents, but they will not approach the team again.
• At no stage will they discuss their decision after the match with any member of the team.
• If they have issued and official warning and have video evidence of the team continuing to play zone, they will send this to the VJBL over the weekend.

They VJBL No Zone Committee will then view the footage and where necessary award the offending team a fine if they lose, or reverse the result and issue a fine if they win.

Regards

Reply #489741 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

I think it is fantastic for the VJBL to show their teeth on this issue in the interests of developing the young kids. Looks like not much time to teach man on man for some coaches

Reply #489742 | Report this post

489700!!

Reply #489746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ya gonna call?

Reply #489748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn vs Melbourne..... Mr heath

Reply #489767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Pauly B, you would be right considering how poor the officiating has been in past seasons, could only get better, but still too inconsistent especially in the older age group like u/18 where they need to be better than they are.

Why do they continue to call out hands off, hands off and let defenders paw all over a player in the key who then gets a 3 second call or an offensive foul? Frustrating as hell!

Reply #489773 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Of course bank is a joke. It's chairman Niall Quinn has no idea. He jumps on bandwagons and backs people who he thinks will help him stay in power. Ask Knox people they got rid of him because he cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Reply #489837 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Anon 489773: I've been involved with one of the teams in the 18 girls this season. You're right about the warning for hands. Lots of warning but rarely called (called regularly at the game I was at last Friday though). I've actually hardly seen a 3 secs in the key call made all season. The referees are using the interpretation where they will only call it if they believe the offensive player is gaining an advantage by being there. To their credit, it's been pretty consistent. My gripe with that interpretation is that a big player can camp in the paint for good rebounding position, the defense isn't allowed to push them out so it gives them a massive advantage. The ref's can only call it as instructed so it's the interpretation that need revising as there's a clear advantage.

As I said earlier, I think the refs have been really good this year. I think they deserve more credit than they get on this forum

Reply #489843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754