Dallas
Years ago

The Forgotten Locals in NBL history

Who is a local player that you feel cheated we didn't or are unlikely to see the best of in the NBL?

Some reasons may be injury, spent majority of career overseas, under-utilised etc

I'll kick it off with Damien Ryan and Mark Dickel.

Topic #35187 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Matt Shanahan

Reply #489275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lindsey Tait and Everard Bartlett, mainly due to points system.

Reply #489289 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Damien Ryan !!!!!! So you also include "entitled attitude" as the same as -" injury, spent majority of career overseas, under-utilised "

at the start of his career his best was never as good as he thought it was, overseas, in his opinion, he was wasted on the bench as a role player, but in actuality his "best" was bearly good enough for that.

Reply #489305 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Ev Bartlett stopped playing due to bad knees not the point system

Reply #489306 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Damien Ryan in his Bullets days (when they were struggling) was decent.

Reply #489308 | Report this post

ajk34  
Years ago

Shane McDonald - the best PG not playing NBL - every year he is the MVP in SEABL, but makes more money teaching than playing NBL

Reply #489332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Neilsen.

Played 8 years in the NBL and was a star, although we missed seeing 9 years of his career in Europe when he was in his prime and played his best in Europe before we had lots of online/live streaming coverage.

Jumped off the sinking ship of the NBL in the early-mid 2000's but had he stayed he might have broken some NBL records. I think people forget how good he was.

Reply #489346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Blakemore

Reply #489348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Brenton

Reply #489392 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Dickel - Led the Turkish League in Assists and put up big numbers in top European Leagues in his prime

Reply #489412 | Report this post

djmojofosho  
Years ago

Chris Macgraw
Darren Perry

Reply #489464 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

In my quieter moments I sometimes find my thoughts regarding this topic drifting to Nick Proud. I remember reading, back in the day, that he was among the top 35 High School players in the US. He was going to go play for the Jayhawks, and he was on the Boomers radar......then, then he did the proverbial knee blowout and it was never the same. I don't think he ended up at Kansas, and then he came back to Australia and played on the bench with Cannons, did his knee again and moved back to Sydney.....to drive trucks I believe. It, for mine, is such an interesting and sad story...check out this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szibVPUvTWc

Reply #489532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great call above with Shane McDonald

Reply #489559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL+WTF @ the first replier with Shanahan? Yes I feel cheated after all the threes he bricked causing my team to lose.

Reply #491504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad McKinnon

Reply #491513 | Report this post

Upfront  
Years ago

Rocky Smith. Still recognized as one of the best imports to ever play in Australia.

Reply #494351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane MacDonald was beaten by his direct opponent Tom Daly in the seabl final over the weekend.

I don't like his game at all or not what ive seen over the last 2 weeks.

Reply #494365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754