Happy Days
Years ago

Ringwood Hawks BIG V Champs

Well done to Budgie and his team.Lost star import in Game 1 for the series and end up winning it in 3.

Topic #35208 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too bad the feed was so bad you couldn't to watch game 2 of 3 live!

Reply #489567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suck it Dan Riche$ and Corio Bay!

Reply #489572 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

"Too bad the feed was so bad you couldn't to watch game 2 of 3 live!"

Anon... somehow 230+ viewers managed it. Bandwidth was restricted by what was available in the local area.

Reply #489593 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Ringwood takes the SCM title. Game 3 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9BG6uUfiE

Reply #489596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks shot it better in the second half and in the end hung on for the win. The Rays couldn't quite get their game going and their imports didn't bring it. All three games going against the home in an amazing final series.

Congratulations to both programs and to the Hawks for winning the Championship.

Reply #489605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingrays no bench cost them in the end. They threw away game 2.

Reply #489616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am smiling today knowing Corio Bay lost.

Reply #489617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay as usual woofing it up before failing.

Reply #489622 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Didn't see all of game 2 just the final minutes, but did see game 3. Seemed like both teams struggled to secure the ball at the frantic error riddled end of game 2. The Hawks just held on to force the series to the final game, but would have taken some confidence into that game.

Stingers seemed to be off the boil again in game 3, just looking for some inspiration from it's senior players, but it never really happened.

The Hawks did play the size card well I thought, agree on the bench being a factor, it helped the Hawks with their rotations where the Stingers seemed to rely on their starters for more than 85% of the game.

Some match ups went the way of the Hawks and they hit key long bombs when it counted. Personally I thought the Stingers needed to play their other big to support Hicks inside for longer periods, Jason did a great job but was under size and it would have taken a lot out of him. Fatigue may have affected his shooting down the stretch?

Hawks also bottled it up nicely when they had to and made it very tough to penetrate the key, yet they seemed to have more open lanes with which to work inside and make some tough contested shots count.

Once again I think there could have been a chance for the second big to play minutes with Ma'alo to contest more rebounds and make it tougher to score inside for the Hawks.

In the end it is what won them the contest IMHO, well done to both teams, they should be there again next year, or not far away I would think...

Reply #489625 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Who won the series MVP?

It really looked as if Marcus Ruh stepped up big time in the absence of his mate. I'm only going off live stats however, would love some insight on how he went in games 2&3

Reply #489709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ruh stepped up massively. Game 1 and even the first final a couple weeks ago he was shut down. Game 2 and 3 he exploded.

Wonder how many players from both teams retire? Both have some ageing players.

Reply #489828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Hicks isn't in the NBL is beyond me. Kids a star

Reply #490040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^LOL you can't be serious.

Reply #490049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the dust settling it will now be interesting to see where improvement will come from with these two Associations. They both need to look at their youth league and who is coming through I think, for the future!

Reply #490068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Ringwood they need a clean out, its time for them to plan for the future.
While the core has been a great group and very successful they can't afford to keep them together much longer or they'll lose a generation of replacements.

Reply #490070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weimer has already retired from Ringwood?
Egan, Snowball and Latham to join him?

Corio would be Hutchy. Who else?

Reply #490097 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

You can watch all three games here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/minditas

Scooter was on fire in the first two quarters of Game 2 but then they shut him down or just didn't give him the same opportunities for the rest of Game 2 or 3.

The Hawks started to get their running game going midway through the second to draw level at half which suited them.

Corio didn't get enough out of Johnson or Hicks in Game 2 and were too stagnant in offence from what I saw on video.

Hawks player & ball movement created far better opportunities both inside & outside and they shot the ball at a much higher percentage and that was the difference in the end.

Reply #490101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work VP, and agree that Ringwood played up to their level while CB didn't quite get the theirs. Whether they were outcoached or just flat I am not sure but all three games going to the away team says something for the determination of each team.

Reply #490142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hicks is played out of position. He isn't a 5. He is a 3 or 4. Can handle the ball, run and has decent shooting range. Also has size and athletic ability.

Reply #490172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ma'alo is a great option at the 4, but if CB don't play Lachy at 5 then they are out of options until they look at another 5 man. Jimmy leaving at the end of last year robbed them of ganuine 7" size inside the paint and he was done at that level but now I think Corio Bay need to look at how they will use their bigs better or recruit an additional one.

The bench wasn't explored at all and if those players are going to be part of the program they need to get some more court time and confidence or move elsewhere.

Reply #490176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutchy at nearly 40 years was first off their bench. That's saying something

Reply #490200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it says that CB had probably the best starting 5 in the whole of Big V?

Reply #490204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't need a genuine 5 man in BigV, it's a guards league.

From the games i see its run and gun.

Malo is a 4 man.

Reply #490209 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Big V is a small ball league and has been for a few years.

Most team run a centre that is 6'6 at best with some teams even smaller than that.

Hence its a run and gun 3pt jacking league hence the imports ringwood have always bought in...they know the league and what works...guards that can jack 3's!

Reply #490211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on TW. BigV is a different style of Basketball to SEABL and NBL where there are bigger bodies and more players playing in position.

Fast paced, run and gun, lots of 3's, not a lot offensive structure, even less inside game.

Even at SEABL level a lot of teams run with just 6'8 4/5 combo bigs rather than dedicated 5 men.

Hicks is better suited to BigV, he struggled at SEABL level.

Reply #490214 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

As anon mentioned different types of leagues in the way they are played.

Hicks isn't a 3 or even really a strech 4 as his jumper isn't pretty from about 10ft and teams would be happy for him to shoot that than attack the rim or post up.

Reply #490222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hicks is no where near a 3, busted shooting action, no perimeter range, good around the ring but as a 4/5 combo fits the BigV style.

Reply #490223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good luck replacing anyone except the team manager at Ringwood out of their junior program. The 18/1 boys play vjl 3, the 16 and 14 ones both play regional.
The 20's are in VC but they are the bulk of the YL team. So push up some YL kids who are not ready yet and then replace them with what ??

Same as the womens team. Name the Ringwood juniors playing in the champ women and YLW.

Reply #490227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From watching their youth theres only really one player who is capable of playing SCM, but Corio would be in a worse position as they are in YL2.

Reply #490236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hicks struggles when it matters. Too slow down the floor to be a 4, and no way is he a 3. His stats look better than they really are.

Reply #490242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hicks has the potential to be a NBL player but he is getting older and that opportunity is slipping away.

Reply #490291 | Report this post

GTF  
Years ago

#490291. LOL are you serious??
Let me fix it for you: Hicks has the potential to be a bench SEABL player (again)
but he is getting older and that opportunity is slipping away.

So far away from NBL Std its not funny.

Reply #490302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754