Anonymous
Years ago

World Cup Finals Draw

I was looking at the World Cup draw and how the finals are working this year which is different to U17 and U19 competition as the finals are held in 2 different cities (Real Madrid and Barcelona) so the cross over games only happen between 1 group each rather than missing all 4 groups up (i.e. group A plays B and group C plays D).

This basically means that a gold/silver medalist HAS to come from each side of the draw, so for instance if France and Spain (both group A) are the 2 best teams in the competition, they can't play each other in the gold medal match. This also means that the USA probably has the easiest chance at making the gold medal game.

What this does for Australia is give them a GREAT chance at making top 4 because groups C and D are far weaker than the other 2. I would say there are 7 teams in groups A and B that Australia would struggle with: Spain, France, Brazil, Serbia, Argentina, Croatia and Greece. While in groups C and D it is only USA with Lithuania, Slovenia and Turkey being tough matches, but they all have weaker line ups than the other 7 teams.

Even tough Australia is missing Patty Mills and Bougt I still think this is our best chance of making the top 4 (hopefully medal) based on the draw. We need to finish our group either 1st or 3rd. 2nd means we would play USA in round of 8. Tactically if we lose to Slovenia first up should we throw the game against Lithuania as we should beat Mexico, Angola and Korea? Playing Turkey in the semi finals would be better than playing USA in the quarters.

My Tip for the Championship (and group they are in):
1 - Spain (A)
2 - USA (C)
3 - France (A)
4 - Australia (D)

These teams don't play off, but
5 - Brazil (A)
6 - Argentina (B)
7 - Lithuania (D)
8 - Slovenia (D)
9 - Serbia (A)
10 - Croatia (B)
11 - Greece (B)
12 - Turkey (C)
13 - Puerto Rico (B)
14 - Finland (C)
15 - New Zealand (C)
16 - Mexico (D)
17 - Senegal (B)
18 - Dominican Republic (C)
19 - Ukraine (C)
20 - Iran (A)
21 - Egypt (A)
22 - Angola (D)
23 - Korea (D)
24 - Phillipines (C)

Also - may have ben covered elsewhere, but why isn't Steve Adams playing for NZ. They have an easy draw and good chance to do well.

Topic #35214 | Report this topic

GWb  
Years ago

It is probably a bit too optimistic to think we are going to beat out Lithuania for a spot. It could happen but it isn't the most likely scenario.

Reply #489627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF we come first in our Pool, I see us playing off fro bronze against France.

IF we finish second in our pool we'll meet the USA in the quarter finals...

Hopefully we can beat one or both of Lithuania & Slovenia!

Reply #489629 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Any one know if there's a pdf poster that I can print out of all the world cup games and who's playing who?

Reply #489632 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Anonymous.. also I think you have the leader board a slight bit off... Philipines are far better than Egypt, Angola Korea etc. Greece would be better than france. etc.

Reply #489633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon 629 - I agree, but also if we finish 3rd we have a chance still for Bronze.

A finals predictor for finishing our group stage:
1st in group - play NZ > Turkey > USA > Bronze medal game
2nd in group - play Finland > USA > out of tournament
3rd in group - play Turkey > Lithuania > USA > Bronze medal game
4th in group - play USA > out of tournament

I know this is predicting a lot, but the way I see it we have to beat Lithuania (either in group or finals) and Turkey. Finishing second in the group is the danger spot.

I know Turkey and Lithuania will be tough games, but neither of them have the teams that Spain, France, Brazil, Greece, Serbia, etc have. Lithuania have the height and talented bigs and Turkey are really relying on Omer Asik with no Turkogolu

Reply #489637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a feeling we'll finish second. Hopefully we lose against Lithuania and Slovenia and beat everyone else. Normally i wouldn't want us to lose but it's for the best lol.

Reply #489669 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Real Madrid is a sports club, not a city, FYI...

Reply #489682 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He's just going for the Melb United vibe.

Reply #489760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754