Isaac
Years ago

Leon Henry joins the Townsville Crocs

As rumoured on Hoops weeks ago. Here's Henry on Twitter.

Blessing to be apart of the Townsville Crocs for the 2014-2015 ANBL season!!! Look forward to the upcoming season!!! #BleedGreen

Roster presumably:

Marjovic/Djeric
Norton/Steindl
Blanchfield/Henry
Conklin/Holmes
Gladness/Vanderjagt

Topic #35215 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

decent signing imo, can defend and decent outside shooter.

Reply #489638 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really attacks well, has good reach, is physical and uses his feet really well.

..as for his on-court skills..meh.

Reply #489645 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Great signing as a 10th man if you only take into account the basketball aspect.

Reply #489651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just think of how long a lineup of Gladness Henry Steindl Blanchfield and say Markovic are!

6-11
6-8
6-8
6-7
6-2

Reply #489652 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why does everyone seem to think Steindl is a 2?

Reply #489653 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

is physical and uses his feet really well

Very handy when you're beating up bouncers at nightclubs and then doing a runner ;)

Reply #489654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs have an average height of 199cm this year

Reply #489655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson, because otherwise he's competing with Blanchfield and Henry who'd be SFs first, surely? Mostly just fitting him into that neater listing format. In reality, there'd be 2-3 guys who play minimal minutes.

Reply #489656 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

His biggest impact this year will be in Court rather than on Court.

Reply #489657 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think you can play Steindl or Blanchfield at the 2 against teams with poor coaches (like Melbourne) or teams who lack the defensive personnel to exploit such a lineup (Wollongong), but if you try it against Perth you will end up with egg on your face.

It also depends on player development: Blanchfield is still young, and Steindl -- while a few years older -- is still a couple of years away from his prime, so there's room for skill development yet. If I was Dennis I'd be assigning an assistant coach to just work with those guys all offseason on ballhandling.

In reality though... if they want to win (and assuming both guys don't make any strides in the ballhandling / decision-making departments) you will probably see Norton, Markovic and Djeric getting most of those minutes at the two spot, with Steindl and Blanchfield playing at the 3 and 4. From memory last year, Blanchfield was used very sparingly at the two spot, but he did at least see SOME time there.

Blanchfield doesn't really make mistakes though, because he is a very risk-averse, super-efficient player (sometimes to a fault), so I can't see why he couldn't play a few more spot minutes at the two. The other equalizer there is that Jacob Holmes can handle the ball, so if he is on the floor at the 4 spot you have more room for error with a guy at the two who isn't a ballhandler.

I think the best way to run this squad would be starting both PGs in the backcourt...you have an insane amount of lineup flexibility, and the only thing you are missing is a big, true shooting guard (a position that is becoming redundant in the modern game anyway because everyone can shoot it nowadays):

Markovic / Norton / Djeric
Norton / Markovic / Djeric / Blanchfield / Steindl
Blanchfield / Steindl / Henry
Conklin / Holmes / Steindl / Blanchfield / Henry
Gladness / Vanderjagt / Conklin

Might be the most versatile team the Crocs have ever put on the floor:

- Multiple guys who can play at least two, sometimes three different positions. -Solid defenders at every position who can guard multiple positions.
-Shooting at every position except the 5...like really good shooting. There are 5 guys on this team who shot 40% from deep last season. FIVE!!! That is ridiculous for an NBL team.
-Rebounding & size at every position.
-Athleticism and youth at every position.

If Dennis plays his cards right, there are myriad matchup nightmares that he can exploit...this team has a high ceiling...it just needs to find an identity and toughness early.

And forgetting all that, it's gonna be fun as hell to watch this team run and dunk over everyone, even if they don't end up winning as many games as they should.

Reply #489663 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"-Shooting at every position except the 5"

need to correct myself. Greg Vanderjagt shot it from deep at above 40% last season.

Technically the Crocs could throw this lineup out there:

Mitch Norton
Steve Markovic
Clint Steindl
Todd Blanchfield
Greg Vanderjagt

And have a plus 40% 3 pt shooter at every position on the floor.

Reply #489667 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Henry 2.0

Reply #489699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are 5 guys on this team who shot 40% from deep last season. FIVE!!! That is ridiculous for an NBL team.
Wonder how common it is? Hawks had it recently with about the same number of players - Martin, Coenraad, Demos, Forman, Davidson, etc?

Reply #489702 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Hawks last season martin 43, Forman 42, Rotnei 40, Davidson 34, conrad 35, demos 31. Definately a huge part of The Hawks success having multiple guys that can spread the floor.

Very excited to see how the Crocs go this year, average height of 199cm is awesome and officially the biggest crocs team in history.

Reply #489708 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The Crocs look better the only problem is so are most other teams. Will be exciting to watch.
Gladness could be one of the top centres in the NBL

Reply #489727 | Report this post

Bill Smith  
Years ago

hasn't Claybrin Mcmath also joined them?

Reply #489735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development player

Reply #489745 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Was told on the weekend that Scott Kenny is returning as 11th man.

Reply #489747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Scott tell u that?

Reply #489750 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

That is the perfect signing, if that isn't incentive for Blanchfield and Steindl to lift their game to the next level then they don't deserve the court time.

Good luck to them all and hopefully Henry can play bigger this season and really stretch opposition teams.

I think it will be great seeing how Henry and Dennis work together

Reply #489764 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

A lot of responsibility and playing time for markovic and norton as the two main ball handlers. The big question mark will be how well steindl and blanchfield handle full court pressure when they are playing 2 and are the secondardary ball handler. Definately see teams trapping and doubling norton and markovic in the back court when one of the wings are at sg.

Reply #489765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno what system you see teams running but normally the 4man takes the ball in from OOB and becomes the 2nd ball handler in the back court.

They then become the trail big in most offenses.

Townsville's press-breaker and transition was really solid last year from memory! They really pushed it back down teams throats and punished presses.

I dont see Blanchfield or Steindl having too much respsonsility nor trouble this season.

Reply #489791 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, i really don't see it as a problem.

Conklin, Holmes and Henry are all varying degrees of being capable ballhandlers for PFs so there is that pressure valve there if you want one of the big wings at the two...not to mention Norton and Markovic are two very reliable ballhandlers who don't really need any help to begin with.

Markovic has turnover problems, sure, but they are more to do with making complicated home run passes in the frontcourt looking for assists than coughing it up in the backcourt under pressure.

Norton, on the other hand, is the fastest guy in the league with the ball for my money and splits double teams constantly. If you try to trap him he's going to run the two defenders into each other and then make you pay when your defence isn't set in the frontcourt.

Having said that, I still don't think you'll see Steindl or Blanchfield at that position very often: playing them at the two will be giving up a lot of speed and playmaking, and I think your best bet on a starting backcourt is Markovic and Norton with Steindl as 6th man.

Reply #489805 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mick your love affair with Mitch (a talented young player with good up side ) gets a little "off" at times. Give us a break and lets see him perform. Hopefully for him a breakout year.

Reply #489826 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's a good young point guard with a steady head and no glaring holes in his game, and he's young as hell with several pro seasons under his belt already.

What's not to like?

He's poised for a breakout season this year.

Reply #489833 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

In all fairness I was totally nit picking as I think this is the most complete and versatile crocs team in years. Just think if steindl and blanchfield aren't going to play much sg, that's 80 minutes to share between markovic, norton and Djeric (who is only 19) at one and two.

I have full faith in Dennis and Kelly in their selection process and can't wait for the season to start.

Reply #489834 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The more Norton and Markovic are on the floor, the better for me.

Then you'll probably see Blanchfield and/or Steindl spend a handful of minutes each there each game (I haven't seen as much of Steindl as I have of Blanchfield, but i'm pretty certain Todd is the superior ballhandler), and Djeric will prob average around 10 MPG, mostly spent at the two.

I guess this is where we will miss Pace a little, because he was a good auxiliary ballhandler, but I'll take that any day of the week.

A lot also depends on what sort of improvement Steindl and Blanchfield will make in that department, because there is still plenty of upside there, especially with Blanchfield being as young as he is.

Even if they don't plan on spending any time in the backcourt, they should be working almost exclusively on their handle because that's how you create space to get to the rack which is key for guys with their athleticism.

Reply #489838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of Pace i saw him as a decent import, good all round player, he lacked a jump shot but had some real crafty moves inside.

Why wasnt he bought back??? was it the lack of Aussie C meaning they went for Gladness instead??

Reply #489855 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

TBH I don't think we're going to see a great deal of improvement from Norton.

Expected big things from him and Djeric as the two clear leaders of Tonwsville's QBL team, but neither set the league on fire nor came close to it. Underwhelming if anything, although I concede both were the only players worth guarding on the squad.

Reply #489870 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Pace clogged up the offense because he couldnt shoot. While he was an efficient player in a vacuum, he made it hard for his teammates to score because he couldn't spread the defense.

Reply #489886 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Mr Ben: QBL / SEABL performances from NBL players need to be taken with a grain of salt, although I do agree that both guys should be playing a whole lot better at that level (we all remember Ben Allen putting up huge numbers and that failing to translate...or Todd Blanchfield's numbers never being eye-popping in QBL despite steady improvement from him in each NBL season...or like Michael Cedar...who always dominated QBL but never put it all together at the next level)

At the Heat where the head coach is a Crocs assistant (Mike Kelly), it's more like an NBA summer league or D-League environment for those guys where there is a direct line to their "dayjob"...i'm certain they will be working on specific aspects of their game as mandated by the Shawn Dennis / Kelly, which probably aren't conducive to winning ballgames or putting up big numbers as much as they are to personal development.

It's hard for a point guard who thrives in P&R situations to look great when there are no elite players setting picks for him or rolling to the basket. That Heat side literally has no options in the frontcourt whatsoever. The mandate from Dennis and Kelly might be "run the offense, get others involved, work on your facilitation"...which doesn't make you look good when the "others" aren't so crash hot.

But all this is conjecture...for all we know Dennis & Kelly maybe telling these guys to just go out their and kick butt and dominate, in which case you would say it has not been a totally successful QBL season for either guy.

Reply #489927 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

go out there*

Reply #489928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754