Isaac
Years ago

Kings complete roster with Joyce, dev players

The final spot in the squad of ten contracted players has gone to 27 year old guard Daniel Joyce, an experienced playmaker who has already seen action in 103 NBL games and in the 2008/09 season averaged a career-high 8.7 points per game for the Gold Coast Blaze.

Joyce played nine games for Sydney in the team's 2012/13 campaign, coming into the squad as an injury replacement for James Harvey, and helped the Kings reach the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

More recently he has been playing well in the second-tier SEABL competition for the Canberra Gunners and will provide versatility, athleticism and a solid defensive mindset, adding depth to a quality backcourt rotation that includes exciting import Kendrick Perry and recent national squad members Ben Madgen and Jason Cadee.
And the development players have been named:
Madol Chol (development)
Ben Kearins (development)
James Trustum (development)
Nic Pozoglou (train-on)

Topic #35216 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Joyce a funny guy? Good to have around the blokes? A game changing cheerer?

Just trying to understand this signing.

Reply #489659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best towel waver in the business according to many.

Reply #489661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the signing of Joyce a joke??

Reply #489664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very strange signing, there are so many better guards around including in seabl who are unsigned and would take minimum deals! I dont get it!

Reply #489665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting to see Madol Chol (development) from the AIS program, I had wondered what had become of him. hope he gets some court time.

as for Joyce, must be the points system! well little else make sense

Reply #489670 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Is any of those the son of his Opals boss?

Not to paint the whole thing with the stench of nepotism, Cotter seems like a decent bloke, I look forward to what he can do with the team, but apart from playing a tiny amount of games in the past with Sydney, I don't see any reason why Joyce would get the nod ahead of perhaps another local or otherwise deserving player...

A 10th spot player though, so not overly fussed...

Reply #489671 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

re: points reasoning... Kings had a spare 10pts for their final player... I was still hoping for a bit more depth, but if the extra cash went to Childress and he works out, all good...

Reply #489672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The story for Joyce is answered in the answers to the following questions:

Who is the Kings coach?

Who is the Opals Assistant Coach?

Who is the Opals Head Coach?

Imagine the influence and pressure being exerted...

Reply #489674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl stats

40% from the field

20% from 3

57% FT

I almost feel sorry for the guy (Son of Joyce). He obvioulsy loves the game to chase a full time gig on what I really hope is min salary in a city like Sydney.

Although that said, this old boy connection with Joyce senior and Cotter through the Opals and the fact no other team would look twice at a player with the above SEABL stats (no matter the age) doesn't look good for Cotter's quest to be looked at seriously.

Reply #489676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter has a good reputation so just cant understand the Joyce signing or a fouple of the developement guys time will tell

Reply #489677 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce and his 'mates rates' connections LOL, he does it all the time, got the gift of the gab it seems

Reply #489681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'More recently he has been playing well in the second-tier SEABL competition for the Canberra Gunners and will provide versatility, athleticism and a solid defensive mindset, adding depth to a quality backcourt rotation that includes exciting import Kendrick Perry and recent national squad members Ben Madgen and Jason Cadee.'

Does not the above statement answer the question why they selected him, give the bloke a break, he is there for a good reason, maybe, just maybe he fits the program and completes their 2015 roster!?

Reply #489687 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So what do we think, Title-thread roster?

Reply #489689 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Joyce did very little in the SEABL and there would be at least 1 unsigned guard in each team better.

Reply #489696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madol Chol,

Spent a year at Diamond Valley under Estcourt, hope he returns to the league and plays more minutes or progresses to SEABL after his year with the Kings

Reply #489698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guys, I'd just turned off the Joyce/j0yce thing. Don't make senior angry again. Remember when he thought people should be banned for using the term "SoJ"?

I was just happy that it wasn't the Hawks getting wrapped up in this.

Reply #489701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au traffic is very grateful that the Joyce family are still involved in Australian basketball at the highest levels.

Reply #489705 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How many Australian players at that position would there be who would take min NBL salary who are better than this fella?

20?

30?

50?

Reply #489711 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Its only a 10th man spot and behind guys like Perry, Madgen, Childress, Cadee in the pg,sf, sf spots i doubt they would need much from him, so not a big deal, but yea an interesting signing, doesnt really fill a need, i would have given the spot to the best SEABL/NZ sf who would accept the salary, but not sure who is out there???

Reply #489713 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Cotter was big on signing local (Sydney) talent; hence guys like Brandt, Duinker, Cadee, White etc.

Furthermore wasn't there a suggestion in another thread that they went with Joyce in part because they wouldn't have to cover any relocation (interstate or otherwise) costs?

Reply #489715 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

adelaide were gonna go with joyce as an injury replacement, but aaron bruce was here doing a bitta training and they went bruce for carter and later for ng.

Reply #489719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He lives in can be re a so will have to move.

Reply #489763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probert, Doyle, Daly, Masunda, Macdonald, Wilcher, Owusu, Tueta, Fisher, Adnam.

Do these SEABL guys not want to play NBL?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all of these guys could contribute more than Joyce. And I'm not knocking Joyce, good on him, but sheeeeze. Bball in Aus is a funny game.

Reply #489774 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Anthony Fisher will be a wildcats development player this season.

Reply #489776 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

wouldn't mind adnam

Reply #489778 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

i know Masunda is keen for a shot in the NBL, Daly would be good for a shot with the Kings. Fereti from the QBL would be a better player than SoJ.

Cotter is just sucking up to Joyce senior

Reply #489780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masunda proved succesdfully this seabl season he is no where near nbl level.

Reply #489784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there are betters options available to sign, but just wondering where do people see Daniel Joyce Vs Kevin White? Who is the better player and who contribute more? For mine they both struggle, but just wondering how will they be used in the rotation with Cadee, Perry, madgen and Childress?

Reply #489786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin White is an unbelievable team mate and solid contributor. Can defend, provides hustle and if required can knock down a shot. Wouldn't surprise me if he was captain this season.

Reply #489789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin White can knock down a shot??!?! I suppose he has hit 14 of the 75 three pointers in the NBL meaning he is a career 19% 3 point shooter for a 6'2 guard.

He might be a top bloke and hard worker but I think he is out of his depth in the NBL.

Reply #489793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As with most players that can't contribute offensively (Joyce, White, Demos) it is best comment on their defensive ability as it looks like they try quite hard on that end of the floor.

Reply #489809 | Report this post

CMCL_SD  
Years ago

Daniel has had a stellar SEABL season and l have personally watched him on 4 occasions in the last 3 months. He showed an element of class, leadership and is a great team mate. He works hard at both ends of the floor especially defensively and knows how to get to the rim/foul line.

Reply #489874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above shooting percentages indicate that the word stellar shouldn't be used to describe Joyce's SEABL season, especially when his team didn't make the playoffs. No matter what class or leadership is shown. Perhaps adequate or not in the bottom tier at his position might be more apt.

Reply #489882 | Report this post

Mimas  
Years ago

What position was he mostly playing?

32nd in the SEABL for APG

SEABL career lows in FT percentage and 3Pt

Reply #489899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are definitely better players in SEABL (& other leagues no doubt) who would jump at the chance of an NBL minimum contract. It's yet another case of who you are being more important than what you can do which plagues most sports but basketball worse than most.

Reply #489902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a NBL development player isn't always what its cracked up to be.

Usually those who make the development spots are the ones prepared to move state, live on SFA money and probably sacrifice their job/Career/education to do it.

Plenty of talent in the SEABL capable of taking those spots but don't chase them for the above reasons.

Reply #489906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce is a contracted player, not a development player. On that subject think of Jarrad Weeks who's been a Kings development or injury replacement since their return to the league & has watched others get contracts ahead of him (Armour & Gleeson would have been more galling but Joyce isn't much better). He's in Europe playing now so likely getting better coin there, not that he ever earned much from the Kings.

Reply #489917 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

If his dad wasnt who he is, would he have gotten this contract?

Reply #490090 | Report this post

CMCL_SD  
Years ago

Are you kidding me?
Daniel Joyce absolutely would of got his contract regardless of who his father is. It astounds me to read opinions(which of course everyone is entitled to) which clearly lack any real substance and are void of proof and facts. The Kings along with all NBL teams are professional and would of applied due diligence to any recruiting decision regardless of whether it was selecting an import or like in the situation a 10th man.
Kilsyth versus Canberra @ Kilsyth - watch this game and see Joyce make the game winning triple but more importantly the leadership, the clear displays of belief that they could win even when down by double digits in the last qtr, his defensive efforts were sensational, unquestionable effort and his ability to galvanise his team by leading from the front.
He was probably the only person in the stadium who thought they could win and they did. He possesses class, poise, unselfishness, produces clutch plays and clearly loves what he does. Surely these sort of traits are what has earned him this opportunity. May I suggest we should all at times consider reevaluating the labels we stick on players. It must of been tough to have a father who is such a great name in our sport and it would of been very easy to walk away and be forgotten but to his credit Daniel is willing to put himself out there and be exposed to the ridicule & criticism. I hope we can move on from this type of negativity as our sport does not benefit from it and perhaps we can be more about cheering for the underdogs which is the Australian way.

Reply #490138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The story for Joyce is answered in the answers to the following questions:

Who is the Kings coach?

Who is the Opals Assistant Coach?

Who is the Opals Head Coach?

Imagine the influence and pressure being exerted..."

Well JoyceSr is a turd so he knows all about exerting pressure.

Reply #491500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754